Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Window Tint Laws: All States

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 10:35 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint Laws: All States

I was reading some threads about window tint and the state of GA cracking down on it. Here are the window tint laws for each state.... http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/
Old 09-07-06, 01:16 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

NJ laws says I can't tint the front driver's and passenger's window. I think this would look bad. Does anyone have any photos with tint on their windows except for the front 2?
Old 09-07-06, 01:18 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

it will look bad, ive seen pictures, even having uneven tint on front and rear looks bad IMO
Old 09-07-06, 02:00 PM
3m ta3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by genearch
Regardless of what the "law" says, in most situations you would be safe getting the side windows tinted if you went light enough. What are your reasons for tinting the windows?

Not be seen? Then you would likely go 40% or darker, which IMHO can be an easy reason for a police officer to stop you.

Heat reduction? They go with a light 60% Ceramic and you'd reduce heat much better than a traditional 5% limo tint. It really is amazing how well it works..

Personally, I was after heat reduction and a "slightly" modified look. (blk car, blk interior) so I went with 60% ceramic all around, including the windshield and 30% ceramic on the sunroof. Last weekend I was parked in 100 degree heat and the car was still cool inside. A friend's Acura (gold/tan interior) was right next to mine and was blazing hot. (and her window was cracked open)
Got any pics of your tint on your car?I was thinking about ceramic tint for my car. IT's tinted all round and still blazin on the inside.
Old 09-07-06, 02:51 PM
Mazinger
Rookie

My car has limo rear (can't see anything from outside unless you stick your nose to the window) and no tints on the front, I don't think it looks bad, but because there is not tint on the windsheild and driver/passenger windows it gets super-hot rather fast.
Old 09-07-06, 05:01 PM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Regardless of what the "law" says, in most situations you would be safe getting the side windows tinted if you went light enough. What are your reasons for tinting the windows?

Not be seen? Then you would likely go 40% or darker, which IMHO can be an easy reason for a police officer to stop you.

Heat reduction? They go with a light 60% Ceramic and you'd reduce heat much better than a traditional 5% limo tint. It really is amazing how well it works..

Personally, I was after heat reduction and a "slightly" modified look. (blk car, blk interior) so I went with 60% ceramic all around, including the windshield and 30% ceramic on the sunroof. Last weekend I was parked in 100 degree heat and the car was still cool inside. A friend's Acura (gold/tan interior) was right next to mine and was blazing hot. (and her window was cracked open)
What kind of ceramic tint did you use? Get some pics up por favor.

I have 43% tint on my front windows and it really isn't that noticeable. I did it for heat mostly. It just looks "shadowed" when looking in the vehicle.
Old 09-07-06, 08:40 PM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

wait...they are illegal???......
Old 09-08-06, 03:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Last weekend I was parked in 100 degree heat and the car was still cool inside. A friend's Acura (gold/tan interior) was right next to mine and was blazing hot. (and her window was cracked open)
How long was your car parked and how long was hers? ( if you know ).
You may be comparing apples and oranges here. The amount of time a car is parked in the heat makes a big difference how hot it gets inside...and how many times you come out and open the windows to let it cool a little.