Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Welp, our 07 REPLACEMENT Camry Tranny died

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06 | 05:30 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Sorry if I am blowing steam. I am pretty pissed at Toyota right now.
Man, I don't blame you for being PO'd. I would go ballistic too
if they dropped 2 transmissions on me.
Old 09-09-06 | 06:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mavericck
The Passat has been consistently on CR lists of recommended cars for the past 4-5 years or so now. On top of that the new Passat, along with most of the new VW model line-up has sparkling reliablity (Toureg not-withstanding, but that will be replaced soon with a much better and more reliable version) and is relatively problem free. The same can not be said for the Camry (fragging transmissions) which is ironically recommended by CR. The Passat hasn't had any problems and the Camry has been having serious problems.

G35 TX I urge you to go out on a lim and at least try out the Passat despite the nay-sayers (mostly Toyota and Honda fanboys). I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
VW does not have sparkling reliability. In Germany, home of VW, they are rated between 12th and 14th for dependability in latest ADAC and TUV results.
Old 09-09-06 | 06:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Glad to know that. Right now Toyota is running on a thin line with us. Monday we will be contacting lawyers. Toyota already knows this. Because we aren't playing around anymore. Especially since we already made 3 payments, and 1k down, and they say we owe them 2k still (which to my calculations we do not) since the Altima was only 2500 upside down due to the wreck. She flat out blew up in there face when they try to say that. And they understand they better work something out, because we are done working out deals. Give us a fully loaded avalon for the price of the Camry, or give us our money back and we will go somewhere else.

I don't exactly like driving a damn Corollo from Enterprise that has been smoked in, compared to my TL. But at least it makes her happy that she can rely on my TL over the damn Camry.

I was at first more worried about my TL having tranny issues like the 2nd gens. It now has almost 4k of miles. It hasn't had one single issue and has been a solid car. The Camry on the other hand, no comment.

Sorry if I am blowing steam. I am pretty pissed at Toyota right now.
Dont they have like 6 tries to fix your car before lemon law comes into effect?

Aftertall, you are only on your 2nd tranny

:-).
Old 09-09-06 | 06:31 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

This is just really bad luck. Over 40,000 Camry's roll out of the dealerships each month and most of them are fine.

I'd still stay with Toyota.
Old 09-09-06 | 07:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I gotta make a few comments here. First, although Toyota is not known for transmission problems, it is clear that something here is amiss with this Camry going through trannies like it has. It could be a design problem with the transmission itself or just the replacement tranny not being installed properly in the shop.
Second, keep in mind, when you guys recommend an Avalon, that the Avalon uses basically a slightly redone version of the Camry transmission.....on a more powerful V6. The Toyota Avalon, Highlander, Solara, Lexus RX330, and ES350 all use somewhat modified versions of the Camry's basic transmission.
Third, the reliability of different individual VW Passat models has varied quite a bit......Consumer Reports, in its recommendation of the Passat, has noted this. They only recommend Passat models are the ones that have been average or better in reliability....in general, the fours have been better than the V6's, and Passats, like other VW's, do have electrical issues. Not enough diesel Passats have really been sold to have a good reliability gauge, and they have been dropped in the American market for 2007.....to be replaced in 2008 with all-new diesels.

Here's my recommendation if you want to stay with a mid-size front-wheel-drive sedan: Go down to the Hyundai dealer and take a good look at the new Sonata.
The previous Korean-built model had an excellent repair record...one of the best in Consumer Reports' database. The new one is built in Alabama, but they have had a year now to fine-tune the plant and get any bugs out.....so look for a new 2007 rather than an end-of-year 2006. The new Sonata is a nice car. I did a review on one several months ago and found it very competent and well-assembled except for some road noise...and that could have just been the tires on that particular car. All Sonatas (and all Hyundai-Kia products ) come with a 10 year / 100,000 drivetrain warranty, so any new trannies ( let's hope you won't need any ) will be on the house for 10 years. The Sonata compares very favorably with the Camry in many areas and noticeably undercuts the Camry on price....I would buy one in a minute if I was in the market for that type of car, but I myself am a convert to AWD.

( I also wouldn't delay too long....there is rumor, not confirmed yet, that this may be the last year in the American market for the Hyundai-Kia 10 / 100 warranty. My guess is that it will be scaled back to the 5 / 60 that most Japanese manufacturers are using. Their products have improved so much lately that the company apparantly feels that the ultra-long warranty is no longer necessary as a sales tool. And not having to do as much warranty-covered work will, of course, allow Hyundai to drop their prices even lower .)

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-09-06 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-09-06 | 07:44 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
or just the replacement tranny not being installed properly in the shop.
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he got the whole car replaced after 1st trans.
Old 09-09-06 | 09:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here's my recommendation if you want to stay with a mid-size front-wheel-drive sedan: Go down to the Hyundai dealer and take a good look at the new Sonata.
Great comments mmarshall and I agree with this one. Sonata's the bargain out there and a darn nice vehicle.
Old 09-09-06 | 10:52 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

There was another guy on Edmunds (about a month ago) who also said that his replacement tranny for the 2007 Camry V6 crapped out on him.

I'm wondering if these replacement trannies are new trannies, or remanufactured trannies.
Old 09-09-06 | 11:19 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
And the Passat is a thousand times better looking than the Camry too with better materials in and out.
I drove the 2.0T Passat - and let me tell you - I was IMPRESSED ... very good build inside and out, very good interior materials and hardware action/movement. Smooth power, great transmission (6 speed auto) and an incredible value (you can typically buy them way below MSRP).

The new Camry is blah. And Toyota's quality problems make me laugh hysterically. They've totally forgotten how it is that they arrived where they are.

Too bad for them. Good for the other Japanese competition & Hyundai.

I second (or third as the case may be) Mmarshall's recommendation - go look at the Sonata Limited (V6). You'll have to do without navigation - but you'll save thousands of dollars over the Camry you have now.

If you must have Nav - go look at a Passat. Or maybe an Acura TSX.

M.

Last edited by videcormeum; 09-09-06 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-09-06 | 01:06 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by videcormeum
I drove the 2.0T Passat - and let me tell you - I was IMPRESSED ... very good build inside and out, very good interior materials and hardware action/movement. Smooth power, great transmission (6 speed auto) and an incredible value (you can typically buy them way below MSRP).

The new Camry is blah. And Toyota's quality problems make me laugh hysterically. They've totally forgotten how it is that they arrived where they are.

Too bad for them. Good for the other Japanese competition & Hyundai.

I second (or third as the case may be) Mmarshall's recommendation - go look at the Sonata Limited (V6). You'll have to do without navigation - but you'll save thousands of dollars over the Camry you have now.

If you must have Nav - go look at a Passat. Or maybe an Acura TSX.

M.
Finally! Someone who isn't biased and knows exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 09-09-06 | 02:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I was at toyota yesterday buying ATF fluid for my car and while I was waiting, I over-heard a guy coming in for a second time in 2 weeks because his second transmission failed. Apparantly, his tranny slips in 2nd after he has driven the car for more than 30 minutes. I hope toyota really doesn't screw up on this one.
Old 09-09-06 | 02:36 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
I was at toyota yesterday buying ATF fluid for my car and while I was waiting, I over-heard a guy coming in for a second time in 2 weeks because his second transmission failed. Apparantly, his tranny slips in 2nd after he has driven the car for more than 30 minutes. I hope toyota really doesn't screw up on this one.
It's not looking pretty.

-James (thinks they already screwed up)
Old 09-09-06 | 02:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mavericck
It's not looking pretty.

-James (thinks they already screwed up)
James, clearly you are passionate about VW and they made good cars but Toyota just recenly has some quality issues and has already promised to fix ASAP. VW on the other hand seems to be clueless about quality and focused on becoming the luxury brand it will never be. VW hasn't been I think average in quality in recent memory. I said AVERAGE.

I have to see sitting in the Passat at the autoshow, it was huge inside. Clearly good materials used. I prefered the Aluminum to the faux wood trimmed interior. The exterior, IMO is lost, like the Jetta. Looks like a Toyota not a VW.

Looking at sales figures, VW is barely afloat in America. Piech just had a press release saying he is very disapointed in the brand and something has to be done quickly.

Because 35-40k Passats will continue to rust on dealer lots.
Old 09-09-06 | 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuckb
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he got the whole car replaced after 1st trans.
You are correct...Thanks. I sometimes make a slip-up here and there.

Still, the rest of my comments apply, and I think that he should consider a new Sonata. Hyundais and Kias today are hard to beat for the money, unless you want a vehicle type that they just don't offer in the American market.
Old 09-09-06 | 03:15 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
Dont they have like 6 tries to fix your car before lemon law comes into effect?

Aftertall, you are only on your 2nd tranny

:-).

If you actually read the post. 2ND CAR, replaced by Toyota to guaranteed to fix the problem. Now it blew again in under 2k of miles. No, they can't make us keep the car especially since we just signed the papers 1 week ago!

Quick Reply: Welp, our 07 REPLACEMENT Camry Tranny died