Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Welp, our 07 REPLACEMENT Camry Tranny died

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06 | 03:17 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Well the Avalon has a 5spd auto tranny that has been proven. The Camry has a 6spd auto tranny that is all new.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I gotta make a few comments here. First, although Toyota is not known for transmission problems, it is clear that something here is amiss with this Camry going through trannies like it has. It could be a design problem with the transmission itself or just the replacement tranny not being installed properly in the shop.
Second, keep in mind, when you guys recommend an Avalon, that the Avalon uses basically a slightly redone version of the Camry transmission.....on a more powerful V6. The Toyota Avalon, Highlander, Solara, Lexus RX330, and ES350 all use somewhat modified versions of the Camry's basic transmission.
Third, the reliability of different individual VW Passat models has varied quite a bit......Consumer Reports, in its recommendation of the Passat, has noted this. They only recommend Passat models are the ones that have been average or better in reliability....in general, the fours have been better than the V6's, and Passats, like other VW's, do have electrical issues. Not enough diesel Passats have really been sold to have a good reliability gauge, and they have been dropped in the American market for 2007.....to be replaced in 2008 with all-new diesels.

Here's my recommendation if you want to stay with a mid-size front-wheel-drive sedan: Go down to the Hyundai dealer and take a good look at the new Sonata.
The previous Korean-built model had an excellent repair record...one of the best in Consumer Reports' database. The new one is built in Alabama, but they have had a year now to fine-tune the plant and get any bugs out.....so look for a new 2007 rather than an end-of-year 2006. The new Sonata is a nice car. I did a review on one several months ago and found it very competent and well-assembled except for some road noise...and that could have just been the tires on that particular car. All Sonatas (and all Hyundai-Kia products ) come with a 10 year / 100,000 drivetrain warranty, so any new trannies ( let's hope you won't need any ) will be on the house for 10 years. The Sonata compares very favorably with the Camry in many areas and noticeably undercuts the Camry on price....I would buy one in a minute if I was in the market for that type of car, but I myself am a convert to AWD.

( I also wouldn't delay too long....there is rumor, not confirmed yet, that this may be the last year in the American market for the Hyundai-Kia 10 / 100 warranty. My guess is that it will be scaled back to the 5 / 60 that most Japanese manufacturers are using. Their products have improved so much lately that the company apparantly feels that the ultra-long warranty is no longer necessary as a sales tool. And not having to do as much warranty-covered work will, of course, allow Hyundai to drop their prices even lower .)
Old 09-09-06 | 03:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G35_TX
If you actually read the post. 2ND CAR, replaced by Toyota to guaranteed to fix the problem. Now it blew again in under 2k of miles. No, they can't make us keep the car especially since we just signed the papers 1 week ago!
that still doesnt make it under lemon law... unless you have had separate contract which stated there would be no issues with it specifically.

But I am sure Toyota will try to accomodate you anyway, it is just that under lemon law you still have a lot to go through...
Old 09-09-06 | 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well the Avalon has a 5spd auto tranny that has been proven. The Camry has a 6spd auto tranny that is all new.
I did some searching for you on the Internet about this problem. ( many sites on it...too many for me to post ). Like the infamous 3.0 V6 sludge and gel issues with the lack of oil changes, there is a pattern here. Toyota is aware of the problem. It centers around a snap-ring that has a tendency to fail within the first 500 miles and affect 2nd and 6th gears. Toyota is not treating it as a recall ( they are dealing with owners on a case-by-case basis ) but a recall is not out of the question.
Old 09-09-06 | 03:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrock65
There was another guy on Edmunds (about a month ago) who also said that his replacement tranny for the 2007 Camry V6 crapped out on him.

I'm wondering if these replacement trannies are new trannies, or remanufactured trannies.
a lot of people posting on different forums are actually same people... old issue affected pretty much every camry produced up to that time... now question is if this is the case still, now there are more than 100,000 new camry's out (vs some 300-400 cars before) and if it happened to every and each one of them, there would be a lot of traffic on the forums and there isnt.
Old 09-09-06 | 03:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
that still doesnt make it under lemon law... unless you have had separate contract which stated there would be no issues with it specifically.

But I am sure Toyota will try to accomodate you anyway, it is just that under lemon law you still have a lot to go through...
All that most lemon laws say is that the manufacturer, after a certain number of repair attampts on a safety-related item.....which a transmission certainly is.......has to replace the vehicle or buy it back. From what G35 has already told us, Toyota has already done that.......given him a replacement car once.....with the same problem.

G35 TX...it's your decision, of course.....along with your wife's......but if she is really that sour on the new Camry, and I can understand it if she is, take her down to the Hyundai shop and see what she thinks of the new Sonata.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-09-06 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-09-06 | 04:12 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I have to agree with mmarshall here - as much as I like the new Camry I'd go grab a Sonata and call it a day. I was skeptical about the new Hynudias too, but now that I've been in a few it's clear to me that they have "cleaned up their act" and are legitimate competition; as afaik their reliabilty has been very good.
Old 09-09-06 | 05:01 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf

This is a completely seperate issue and it doesn't call for lemon law, it calls for a defective product which in our case is only 5 days old per the paper work.
Old 09-09-06 | 05:02 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

All that most lemon laws say is that the manufacturer, after a certain number of repair attampts on a safety-related item.....which a transmission certainly is.......has to replace the vehicle or buy it back. From what G35 has already told us, Toyota has already done that.......given him a replacement car once.....with the same problem.

G35 TX...it's your decision, of course.....along with your wife's......but if she is really that sour on the new Camry, and I can understand it if she is, take her down to the Hyundai shop and see what she thinks of the new Sonata.

You know what she said when I talked to her about the Passat again and Hyundai? I will not be seen driving a Hyundai. LOL.

Okay boss.
Old 09-09-06 | 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You know what she said when I talked to her about the Passat again and Hyundai? I will not be seen driving a Hyundai. LOL.

Okay boss.
Her thinking is a little out of date but I agree that your marriage is more important than a car.

In that case, the Accord may be a good alternative choice. Its quality and repair record for most years have been virtually bulletproof. I have seen some older ones, with proper care, go 300,000 miles. The transmission repair record for Accords in Consumer Reports ( most, of course, are sold with automatics ) has been all red marks ( better than average ) except for the 2000 and 2001 model years...and you and her, of course, will be getting a brand-new car.
If your wife is used to driving non-SE model Camrys, though, she will find the Accord's ride and suspension to be a little stiffer ( for handling ) and the steering a little more responsive, and, depending on the tires, maybe a little more road noise. Although the Camry ( except for the SE ) is a little more of a luxury car in terms of ride and noise isolation, the Accord, though, is far from harsh.

However I do NOT recommend either the Camry or Accord Hybrids. IMO and experience they cost too much, are too complex, and unlike the smaller and cheaper Honda Civic Hybrid and Toyota Prius, don't really give that much more in terms of either gas mileage or power than their more moderately-priced conventional counterparts. You wife ( and your wallet ) would probably be happiest with the Accord LX 4 or V6....it's a nice combination of features, trim, and price.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-09-06 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-09-06 | 05:19 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Her thinking is a little out of date but I agree that your marriage is more important than a car.

In that case, the Accord may be a good alternative choice. Its quality and repair record for most years have been virtually bulletproof. I have seen some older ones, with proper care, go 300,000 miles. The transmission repair record for Accords in Consumer Reports ( most, of course, are sold with automatics ) has been all red marks ( better than average ) except for the 2000 and 2001 model years...and you and her, of course, will be getting a brand-new car.
If your wife is used to driving non-SE model Camrys, though, she will find the Accord's ride and suspension to be a little stiffer ( for handling ) and the steering a little more responsive, and, depending on the tires, maybe a little more road noise.

Well I am sure it drives like my TL. And she says its a bit stiff for a Luxury car. Hehe.

We will see what happens. I will keep everyone informed again.
Old 09-09-06 | 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well I am sure it drives like my TL. And she says its a bit stiff for a Luxury car. Hehe.

We will see what happens. I will keep everyone informed again.
OK...........good luck.
Old 09-09-06 | 05:40 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Talking Lol

Okay boss.
I know a lot of people who think like that. They may make decent cars now but it is going to more than a decade or so for people to forget.

The Accord would probably be the closest thing to a Camry or maybe even an Altima. TSX might suit your needs as well.

Old 09-09-06 | 06:15 PM
ARB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS69
I know a lot of people who think like that. They may make decent cars now but it is going to more than a decade or so for people to forget.

The Accord would probably be the closest thing to a Camry or maybe even an Altima. TSX might suit your needs as well.

The '05-'06 Accord EX-L('07 will be out soon) is a good choice. Reasonably priced, roomy, comfy & starting in '05+ are very reliable(4cyl accords/ Hybrid). The V6 is not as reliable but still above avg. The only drawback is that the redesigned '08 Accord will be out in ~ 1yr.(summer of '07).

The TSX is around the same size as the new '06 Civic. The Civic does everything the TSX does(and then some) but w/ fresher styling and a better price so the civic is a better choice than the TSX and is rated higher by Consumer Reports.

If you want to stay in something the same size as the Camry and dont mind next yrs redesign go w/ the '05-'07 Accord.

In 1-2 yrs. all the issues w/ the Camry w/ be solved but unfortunatley that does nothing for current Camry buyers.

Last edited by ARB; 09-09-06 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-09-06 | 06:31 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
And the Passat is a thousand times better looking than the Camry too with better materials in and out.
I think the new Camry is a LOT better looking than the Passat.
Especially the SE. That thing is HOT!
Can't believe I'm talking about a Camry but it's true.

Old 09-09-06 | 06:35 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Okay boss.
If you want TOP QUALITY. a Hyundai dealer is actually one of the places
you need to be. Seriously.

You need to bring yourself and your girlfriend/wife into 2006.

Good luck with your next purchase.

Quick Reply: Welp, our 07 REPLACEMENT Camry Tranny died