Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoweek's review of the new G35 (errrrr beauty contest thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 12:08 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also don't think the new G35 sedan is that great looking. I may feel differently later after seeing it in person but the pics aren't doing a lot for me. Looks nice but less edgy which to me is less sporty. The power and handling should be the strong points since it is reasonable to assume they are much improved over the previous model....which is no slouch.

I did my usual Sunday morning shakedown on the interstate today. One reason I love my G35 is the ease at which it runs at high speeds. You can be driving at 100mph and hit the pedal and feel a rush of power...meaning there is more to spare in there. There was a G35 sedan behind me this morning. A girl. As I accelerated, so did she. I'm up to...actually I didn't check. I know I was way over 100 and she's still with me. I decided to test her. I started weaving through traffic to maintain the high speed and she couldn't keep up. But I was impressed with the car and the girl. Then I remember the sedan has the same power as the coupe. One thing for sure, Infiniti has something going with this car.
Old 09-10-06, 02:03 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then I remember the sedan has the same power as the coupe.
I think the sedan is 260 (atleast the 03-05) and the coupe is 280. The manual vs auto means an another boost in horsepower....
Old 09-10-06, 02:20 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

The '05/06 AT sedan are 280, same as the coupe. In MT both the coupe and sedan are 298hp.

RE: the '07. I can't wait to drive one. I am sure it'll be a heck of a ride. The last gen was, imo, as close to a BMW as you could get in terms of driving dynamics and it looks like this one will be even closer - though I am skeptical that it will match or exceed it. Of course given the price difference that might be a little much to ask.
Old 09-10-06, 03:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
The bottom one isn't that great looking.
LOL - hard to find good pics of Rudi - she was a CNN 'face' and now she's an assignment reporter on FoxNews. I think she has a unique type of beauty being Iranian-American.
Old 09-10-06, 03:49 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
They're very impressed, and so was I after reading it.

This view of the car is hot - looks similar to the new Lexus GS only better because it's more purposeful - it's definitely sporty in looks and execution.

And while I like the IS350, I think this G35 is a better vehicle. Better handling (including available active rear steering), power bolsters, better packaging for space, traffic-savvy nav, more powertrain variations, and the impressive Sport package. Limited slip diff in Sport package - does the IS have one available (I don't know)? It has an available hard drive package as part of the audio system so you can load it up with music - just like the upcoming LS460.

The only negative I see is 5 speed auto vs. competitors 6 but Autoweek says it works very well and the paddle shifting mode lets you hold a gear (even all the way to redline).

It's good to see that Infiniti has not screwed up their hit - they've made it a lot better.

Reed autoweek's mini-review/introduction here:

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...9/Introduction
I believe an LSD is available on the IS350 Sport Package?
Old 09-10-06, 07:07 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This must be a case of beauty-on-the-inside. I still contend that the IS looks far better on the outside and the inside, but it clearly doesn't have the chops to run and handle with the G35 and as far as packaging and space goes, it loses miserably. I for one have found my self pining for more rear seat room :P

But I personally spend maybe .5% of my time driving in lunatic track mode, and spend maybe .25% of my time actually using the back seat, and all the other times I find myself relishing in the soft Lexus driver seat, touching the great materials, feeling the better build quality, admiring the better looks and design. I find myself resolutely impressed with the G35 much like I was when I drove my cousin's E90 but find myself turned off by it by the same reasons as I was from that E90: luxury, build quality, and that lack of Class a Lexus holds, from the sweep of door panels to the design of the door handles to the soft touch and slow close mechanisms of sliding ashtray covers and roof grabs.
Old 09-10-06, 07:41 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

I really like this car too! I test drove one and just wow!!! ncie review!
Old 09-10-06, 08:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by knihc2008
This must be a case of beauty-on-the-inside. I still contend that the IS looks far better on the outside and the inside, but it clearly doesn't have the chops to run and handle with the G35 and as far as packaging and space goes, it loses miserably. I for one have found my self pining for more rear seat room :P
Thanks - That's exactly what I was trying to say. I think the IS wins in the looks department, but the GS is more practical AND more capable.

But I personally spend maybe .5% of my time driving in lunatic track mode, and spend maybe .25% of my time actually using the back seat, and all the other times I find myself relishing in the soft Lexus driver seat, touching the great materials, feeling the better build quality, admiring the better looks and design. I find myself resolutely impressed with the G35 much like I was when I drove my cousin's E90 but find myself turned off by it by the same reasons as I was from that E90: luxury, build quality, and that lack of Class a Lexus holds, from the sweep of door panels to the design of the door handles to the soft touch and slow close mechanisms of sliding ashtray covers and roof grabs.
IS is sweet, no question. Just wish Lexus would give it the driving dynamics it deserves.
Old 09-10-06, 09:19 PM
SDLS430
Rookie

Originally Posted by mavericck
The bottom one isn't that great looking.
That's not a very flattering pic of her. Rudi is hot hot hot! I hear she left CNN because she was having an affair with another married reporter on CNN. I miss her dearly. She is on Fox news now and get very little airtime. Sad, I watch less CNN now days.
better pic of Rudi can't believe she is 40!

Old 09-10-06, 10:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, she's a beauty. And yeah, I can't believe she's 40 either!

Here's the pic you were linking to:
Attached Thumbnails Autoweek's review of the new G35 (errrrr beauty contest thread)-rudi_bakhtiar_cnn.jpg  
Old 09-10-06, 10:23 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well Sharapova isn't as good looking to me as Rudi Bakhtiar but she sure can play tennis. LOL
Rudi Bakhtiar.....yummy!

She was the only reason I like to watch the same damn news show for over 10 minutes.
Old 09-10-06, 10:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

OK, you guys are making my point.

Rudi Bakhtiar is great looking like the IS350
But while not as beautiful perhaps, for a real 'sporty workout', Maria Sharapova or the new G35 seem like the better option.
Old 09-11-06, 10:58 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Bit,
I hate to hijack this thread, but speaking of exotic news babes:

Suchita Vadlamani

Old 09-11-06, 03:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KayGee
Bit,
I hate to hijack this thread, but speaking of exotic news babes:

Suchita Vadlamani

Mention babes, and you find a thread , do I got to bring some of mine so you'll come back to meets

Google is all ya'lls friend....SELENA SPICE.....

Old 09-11-06, 06:42 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mention babes, and you find a thread , do I got to bring some of mine so you'll come back to meets

Some topics get my attention more than others. I'll be at LexFest.

Quick Reply: Autoweek's review of the new G35 (errrrr beauty contest thread)