Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

10 Questions With Brad Bradshaw Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing, Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 08:43 PM
LexFather

Post 10 Questions With Brad Bradshaw Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing, Nissan

1. Nissan North America’s sales have been down recently in the U.S. - 16% in July. What's the reason behind this and what do you forecast in the next six months?

Keep in mind when comparing our sales numbers to last year, auto industry sales as a whole were very high – 1.8 million units in July 2005 versus 1.5 million units this year. We knew that the 1st half of 2006 was going to be down and, if you dig a little deeper, you will see that most of the increase in sales by our competitors were from newly launched vehicles. This is good news for us since we have a number of key new products coming out this year: the all-new Nissan Versa, Sentra, and Altima, substantial revisions to the 2007 Maxima, and Quest, and an all-new Infiniti G35 Sedan. We expect to see an increase in our sales numbers this fall with the arrival of these new products.

2. During the fuel crisis of 1973, companies like Nissan made great inroads in the American market with smaller, more fuel-efficient cars and compact pickups. Do you see a similar large jump in market penetration coming in the next few years with cars like the new Nissan Versa and Nissan’s industry-leading availability of Continuously Variable Transmissions?

We are seeing a shift from trucks to smaller sedans. You can see it across the industry. Most of the new products that we are launching are sedans, so we'll benefit from this shift. The Versa is our smallest vehicle. It gets great gas mileage, it's affordable and yet it also employs some of our best technology – like the advanced Xtronic CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). We have high hopes for this new product. But that's not to say buyers are completely turning their backs to trucks – they are still a big part of the business for Nissan and for the industry. People aren't going to completely walk away from trucks any time soon.

3. With Versa off to a strong sales start and initial buyers crossing a wide demographic of ages, will you expand the Nissan lineup to bring in other B-platform vehicles such as the Nissan Cube or Nissan March?

Again, we have high hopes for Versa, we think it offers consumers a great product for the price. Will we bring out other similar sized offerings? That remains to be seen. We have consistently said that we will look at other segments and products for this market if we believe we can sell them profitably.

4. The last generation Altima was positioned as an alternative to the leading sedans in class – the "cure" for the common sedan. Is the all-new 2007 Altima still an alternative choice or do you consider it now to be one of the big three in class?

Where we have been most successful is where our cars stand out from the crowd – this was true for the previous generation Altima and is still true for the next-generation 2007 Altima. This is a vehicle that people will notice. We have a significant edge in design and innovation with the 2007 Altima, even more so than the model it replaces.
5. With the dramatic changes in the new Altima, especially in terms of power and handling, it seems to be moving more into previous Maxima territory as a "four-door sports car." What happens to the positioning of the Maxima and is there room or need in the lineup for both vehicles?

Maxima is still our flagship sedan and with the improvements made to it for 2007, including the new interior and enhanced exterior styling, it only elevates its position within the lineup. Maxima really has its own territory with design and innovation and consumers see this. We’ve proven in the current generation of Maxima and Altima that they can coexist and we expect the same with the 2007 versions.

6. The new Altima will be offered in a hybrid version later in the 2007 model year, just as consumer interest in hybrids appears to be cooling off. How strong is Nissan’s commitment to hybrid technology and the environment?

Nissan shares the goals of those who would like to have more environmentally advanced vehicles on the road. We have our hands in a number of technologies and as these technologies evolve, we will watch which ones catch on, which ones have the most benefit for all sides. There’s still something to learn from hybrid technology, as well as a number of evolving technologies we’re studying. Nissan is committed to providing advanced technologies that reduce harmful emissions, but these technologies must be affordable for all stakeholders.
7. How important is the new G35 for Infiniti – both looking forward at the upcoming 2007 model and back at the original G35? What’s been done to the 2007 to improve it over the benchmark original version?

The G35 is the foundation of the Infiniti brand. We've dramatically updated the G Sedan inside and out. It will continue to offer a truly sensational driving experience, advanced technologies and a continuation of its vibrant design philosophy. We've truly remade a great car even greater and it's already being well received by consumers and the media prior to its November sales launch.

8. Nissan has had a strong record of bringing auto show concept vehicles into production. Last year the Nissan URGE concept was a big hit among show attendees and media. What are the chances of seeing a production variant of URGE in the future? What does Nissan or Infiniti have on tap in the way of advanced concept vehicles for the upcoming auto show season?

We'll continue our tradition of having exciting, unique vehicles on display at auto shows. Auto shows are a great venue to gauge the public's opinion of these vehicles. If we deem that a vehicle like URGE can be profitable and successful in the marketplace, we'll consider bringing it to market. In terms of what's coming up this year, I can't really say at the moment. But, we do have a few things up our sleeves that will get people to notice Nissan.

9. What does the future of the 350Z hold now that Nissan is planning on bringing the GT-R as the performance flagship above it?

I think the addition of the upcoming Nissan GT-R makes the role or position of the 350Z even more important. We've sold over 100,000 units of the current generation Z, it's a very popular car with consumers. I believe having both the 350Z and the GT-R in our lineup will only solidify our position as a performance car company. Both vehicles have legendary status in their markets and they're both known for performance, styling and an unparalleled driving experience.

10. What do you see as the biggest threats to the North American auto industry today? What do you see as the biggest opportunities? Where do you see the industry going as a whole?

The biggest threat is always the economy. If it's strong, people will continue to purchase items like new vehicles. If it falters, consumers may put off high-dollar expenditures. In this kind of environment, companies that are nimble will be the most successful as they will be able to adapt to consumers wants and needs.

Brad Bradshaw – On a personal note

I always liked cars, always had a fascination with the automotive industry. I liked to work on cars and, of course, I liked to drive them. When the opportunity came to work in the industry, I jumped at it and I've never looked back. I've had many roles at Nissan North America and enjoyed them all. I've learned quite a bit from all the roles I've had, they've all helped build my knowledge base. My last assignment at Nissan Canada was especially memorable – I really enjoyed that and the autonomy in that role, it was a great experience. As for the favorite car that I've ever owned, that would be my current car – a 1969 Fairlady Roadster. I just purchased it and I can't wait to get it out on the local roads here in Tennessee.

About Brad Bradshaw

Bradshaw was appointed senior vice president, sales and marketing for Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA) on July 1, 2006. He oversees all marketing and sales functions for the Nissan and Infiniti divisions, including direction of the planning and implementation of all sales and marketing strategies.

Prior to being named senior vice president, Bradshaw was vice president and general manager, Nissan Division. He also has served as president of Nissan Canada, Inc. (NCI), as well as a number of other positions, including advertising manager for Infiniti Division, director of finance operations, director of marketing communications, regional vice president of Nissan's Southwest and Southeast Regions, and vice president of marketing. Prior to joining Nissan in 1983, he worked for the Ford Motor Company and Subaru of America.

Bradshaw holds a B.S. in finance from Western Carolina University and an MBA from Georgia State University. </SPAN>

Old 09-09-06, 08:46 PM
LexFather

Imagine if Lexus said the ES or IS was the foundation of the brand....Most companies start top down. Down-up simply does not work for a brand. It might work for a car or 2, but not an entire brand...

Kudos to them having sold 100,000 350Zs and bringing the GT-R...

Old 09-09-06, 09:18 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far this year, 157,291 out of 208,774 (75%) of Lexuses sold are the 2 entry sedans (IS/ES) and entry SUV (RX). Entry level vehicles form an important backbone of every lineup. Of course, the Lexus situation is different because they have a successful flagship (LS), while Infiniti doesn't even have a real flagship anymore.

The G35 Coupe is clearly the biggest Infiniti success ever. Just one single model outsells all of the different variations of the 2 door 3 series combined. Very impressive for a first-gen model.

August 2006 YTD sales:

G35 Coupe: 14,800

325Ci, 325Ci Convertible, 330Ci, 330Ci Convertible, 328i Coupe, 335i Coupe, M3, M3 Convertible: 13,711
Old 09-09-06, 11:52 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Imagine if Lexus said the ES or IS was the foundation of the brand....Most companies start top down. Down-up simply does not work for a brand. It might work for a car or 2, but not an entire brand...

Kudos to them having sold 100,000 350Zs and bringing the GT-R...
I dont get your logic here. The foundation of all lexus sales as stated above is the ES/RX/IS. All entry level vehicles. It only makes sense for the G35 to be the foundation for infiniti. BMW's foundation is definitely built upon the 3 series.