Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How do I give my car soul? (I needed a good laugh)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 01:53 AM
Mazinger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this is coming from a Japanese manufacturer fan site (Lexus), you guys should know that the people who make your Lexus's belive in this 'soul' issue, for them everything has a soul, downright to the robot that welds your panels together, they even give those assembely robots name!!
Old 11-02-06, 05:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A car with soul begs to be driven hard. It should follow your every command without fuss. In the twisties, it should move to the rythm of the road and stay in line without being all over the place. Just like a good dancer should have "soul" moving to the rythm of the music, a car should have "soul" moving to the rythm of the road. Can it be said that German cars like BMW have "soul"? Yes because those cars are like fine dancers, they move to the rythm of the road without being all over the place. Can the same be said about Lexus? Uhhh take it to your local back road for comparison.
Old 11-02-06, 05:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Here is a vid of a car with "soul in action.

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?p=...UTF-8%26b%3D21
Old 11-02-06, 05:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Actually, I would agree with that. Mazda makes a few cars that do have soul. The RX-8 and Miata, without question. I'll admit that I've never actually driven an RX-8, but I've heard enough from fellow enthusiasts to draw a decent conclusion.
I drove one a few years ago but didn't do a formal CL write-up...just privately for a friend of mine. It's a little more substantial-feeling and slightly more refined car than the Miata ( I just did a new Miata review Tuesday ), as you would expect for the added price, and of course it has the flexibility of the small rear seats. The steering, in some ways, felt even more responsive than the Miata's due to the very small size and low weight of the rotary engine up front and the larger overall tire size. But auto mags, in long-term tests, report that the RX-8 uses a LOT of both gas and oil, and the lack of B-Pillars for the small rear doors are potential structural weak points for rattles, squeaks, and leaks.
Old 11-02-06, 06:03 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Here is a vid of a car with "soul in action.
For how much that car weighs (ack....), I'm impressed with how little body roll there is, and how well it handles. The tires were screaming for dear life, but they held on.
Old 11-02-06, 07:21 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
For how much that car weighs (ack....), I'm impressed with how little body roll there is, and how well it handles. The tires were screaming for dear life, but they held on.
A better car (not a pig like the M6) with even more soul is this car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DpFvbCzaE4
Old 11-02-06, 07:41 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
A better car (not a pig like the M6) with even more soul is this car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DpFvbCzaE4
I remember seeing that vid a while back. That driver's gutsy, to say the least.
Old 11-02-06, 09:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

That's frightening. While the drifting might be fun for someone with his skill, I'd honestly prefer to have the AWD 4S instead.
Old 11-02-06, 09:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That's frightening. While the drifting might be fun for someone with his skill, I'd honestly prefer to have the AWD 4S instead.
Yes, I wonder how many years of practice you need to be able to drive like that.

I wish I could drive like that! It looks scary and exhilarating all at once!
Old 11-02-06, 01:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Yes, I wonder how many years of practice you need to be able to drive like that.

I wish I could drive like that! It looks scary and exhilarating all at once!
But insane to do that on a public road. Maybe for that video they closed off sections I don't know, but if not, thats nuts.
Old 11-02-06, 01:24 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Thats nothing. I do that on my commute every day
Old 11-02-06, 01:40 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Yep, that's because Volvos, Mercedes E classes, etc. are taxis over there.
Exactly. I Went to school in Vienna for a little and the E-class just came out around end of 02. They were nothing but Taxis. So were the 5 series, A6 and such. Crown Victorias here are E-classes out there. Funny thing when I was in Cannes, France a good 20 yrs ago: We went to a Luxury Car dealership on the main road along the shore and I remember seeing a Black and a Yellow Countach, A Ferari GTO and Testarossa ( i remember because the person who took us bought us 18:1 scale models of the cars) and they were just sitting OUTSIDE of the dealership. Want to know what one of the cars inside were??? A Cadiallac. Our family friend who took us there owned that same Caddy and we just laughed. Oh those French!

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Japanese bikes? I owned a Yamaha R6, I loved every minute of it. I can't see how someone would say it's souless. I never had a chance to ride a Harley, but I rode a Ducatti on a couple occasions. All I could think of is how much my @ss hurt.
Believe or not I rode my buddys R1 and boy that thing was fun but too light for me. the nose kept on wanting to pop up. Still does not beat the ride of the SuperBikes of Ducati. My first was an 02 gixxer 750 and let me tell you, my 749 Duc felt MUCH MUCH better. Dryclutch, superb handling, ohlin products that come STANDARD on it? Poop, I dont need to go any further. Come to think of it Im think Im buying another one.
Soul comes standard on this Beauty:
Attached Thumbnails How do I give my car soul? (I needed a good laugh)-desmosedici1.jpg  
Old 07-28-09, 11:45 PM
LexFather

Though this bump would be appropriate as of late....

Old 07-30-09, 01:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

my car has soul coming out of it ***. She is a sexy *****
Attached Thumbnails How do I give my car soul? (I needed a good laugh)-img_0008.jpg  
Old 07-30-09, 01:13 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Mike, give it up, you can't give your car soul. You are just going to have to dump it and get the 540.

j/k
no you're not .LOL. We know how you bimmer guys really feel

Quick Reply: How do I give my car soul? (I needed a good laugh)