Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Everyones thoughts on 07 BMW M5.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-06, 08:28 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
m5 or e55 amg are both sweet.

btw-this looks awful....
i agree... this car is horridly ugly.
Old 09-12-06, 10:54 PM
lux.sh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by diablo1
Hahaha. Do you think anyone on this board really chose Lexus because it is cheaper than those other brands? That's not what I think... The only M5 drivers I have seen here have been older (50-60) executive types who look like they just bought the car because their buddies at the office told them it's the thing to have.
I never said anything about that being a fact. its person's view. What is the price change between a lexus and german cars anyway? few thousands? that shouldn't be a problem for the people who are willing to buy the cars in that price range.

Maybe German car owners really think that though. I definitely have noticed that BMW and Audi owners sometimes drive very aggresively on the highway when my car is near by. Also one 3-series driver blew past me in a sharp turn, squeezing between two other cars in front of me and terrorizing everyone in the vicinity. Sheesh. What is the point of a car if you have to drive like a lunatic to appreciate it? Just because you are a dangerous and reckless driver, doesn't mean your car is better...
Another japanese car driver who has negative attitude towards german car owners. Yet you guys say german car owners are cocky. I've seen MULTIPLE IS350s(yes, not just japanese cars, especially new IS350s) trying to race me by revving next to me, going wide-open-throttle in a local road because I was going to the opposite direction, highway F&F syndrom, etc.

so what? There are morons driving nice cars everywhere. I don't judge on the whole population group just based on few morons. If I do, that means im a moron.
Old 09-13-06, 06:03 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lux.sh
I never said anything about that being a fact. its person's view. What is the price change between a lexus and german cars anyway? few thousands? that shouldn't be a problem for the people who are willing to buy the cars in that price range.

Another japanese car driver who has negative attitude towards german car owners. Yet you guys say german car owners are cocky. I've seen MULTIPLE IS350s(yes, not just japanese cars, especially new IS350s) trying to race me by revving next to me, going wide-open-throttle in a local road because I was going to the opposite direction, highway F&F syndrom, etc.

so what? There are morons driving nice cars everywhere. I don't judge on the whole population group just based on few morons. If I do, that means im a moron.
Good points. I'm sure there are people like that driving all kinds of cars. I was wondering if you were saying that the general perception is that Lexus owners can't afford a German car, or that just a few people think that.
It's definitely contrary to fact, because like you said, price differences for comparable models tend to be pretty small... Then again, Lexus has no "comparable model" to the M, AMG, or S lines... At least not yet.
Old 09-29-06, 11:23 PM
TracerHawk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hsk73
If you can afford it!! M5 is the ONE!!
+1.

BMW M5 is incredible. Then again, for 90k+, it better be! For me personally, I dont know how smart it would be to put that sort of money into a depreciating asset. Of course on the other side of the coin, you can't take it with you, so if you got it, flaunt it!
Old 09-30-06, 12:30 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

M5.

When you see a person(age 30~50) driving a mercedes AMG, he looks like a boring, non-enthusiastic, rich bastard just driving a very nice car.

when you see a person(age 30~50) driving an Audi Sx, he looks like a thinking man, with his own individual taste for a sexy car.

when you see a person(age 30~50) driving a Lexus, it seems like he couldn't afford a BMW/MB/Audi.

when you see a person(Age 30~50) driving a BMW M5, he looks like an automotive enthusiast looking for a perfect balance between performance/luxury/comfort.

I can careless about the 3 series, 5 series or 7 series. even the lizard looking M6s. but when it comes down to someone driving a M5.. its just different. Its a perfect executive sports sedan.
all this pertains to males... today i saw a mid 50s lady driving a m5. dunno if it was her husband or not but I found it to be wierd.
Old 09-30-06, 12:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TracerHawk
+1.

BMW M5 is incredible. Then again, for 90k+, it better be! For me personally, I dont know how smart it would be to put that sort of money into a depreciating asset. Of course on the other side of the coin, you can't take it with you, so if you got it, flaunt it!
well it's all relative. if someone is earning 40k a year and no asset, owning a new m5 is nothing but a silly decision i guess. but for those who are making 300k a yr, man, why not
Old 09-30-06, 12:46 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

M5 all the way!

but i do like E63 also. tough choice
Old 09-30-06, 03:01 AM
lux.sh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by diablo1
Good points. I'm sure there are people like that driving all kinds of cars. I was wondering if you were saying that the general perception is that Lexus owners can't afford a German car, or that just a few people think that.
It's definitely contrary to fact, because like you said, price differences for comparable models tend to be pretty small... Then again, Lexus has no "comparable model" to the M, AMG, or S lines... At least not yet.

Lexus is getting more and more aggressive against german competitions. Im sure they will come out with something very serious against the high performance german models very soon. As a german car owner, I can't wait to see this. In a market, competition is always good for the consumers. cheaper and better.
Old 09-30-06, 06:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Lexus is getting more and more aggressive against german competitions.
Besides the IS350, I see no evidence of that.
Old 09-30-06, 07:15 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would get a Kia Hell yeah get the M5! Hurry get them while there hot
Old 09-30-06, 01:31 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

I was at a party last night and I chatted with a guy who had his mom's brand new M5. He took me for a ride and holy **** that thing is fast. I've driven a viper which has the same amount of power but the M5 was so much smoother. The engine and exhaust notes are amazing and for once i think BMW made a decent looking interior, (although it can't compare to a lexus). In addition to the interior I thought the exterior styling fit the car very well. When the new 5 came out I thought it was ulgy, but the facia treatments the M gets makes the car look awesome, especially in silver. Anyway, we went out on the freeway (I-5 in Ashland, OR) and damn that thing gets to 100 in no time. We were doing 130 around curves without the slightest hint of under or oversteer. The 8250 redline just adds to the sexiness. However, there are significant downsides to the car. One, iDrive; two and most important, reliability. The car only had 4k miles on it and it had been in the shop four times! It had a massive oil leak and had to be towed to the shop; The computer had to be rebuilt, and the dealer HAD TO ORDER A NEW TRANNY!!!

If you can look past the reliability issues the car is simply extraordinary
Old 09-30-06, 07:31 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by r4z0r3ck
all this pertains to males... today i saw a mid 50s lady driving a m5. dunno if it was her husband or not but I found it to be wierd.
Last one I saw was a very sharp new black-on-black M5...and a beautiful young Asian girl got out of it.

Sometimes, life isn't fair...
Old 09-30-06, 09:15 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To add some more thoughts on e55 vs e63.

Was talking to a friend who is actually looking at a e55 station wagon that has been tuned to some crazy like +700 HP.

I was saying just go with a e63 but he made a good point.

The e55 has much more tunning ability then the naturally aspirated e63 for some folks stock is just not fun I guess.

To that crowd e55 is a much better choice for there is already a world of tuners and done blueprinted tweaks that are guaranteed to outrun any e63.

Old 09-30-06, 09:30 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RandalR
Last one I saw was a very sharp new black-on-black M5...and a beautiful young Asian girl got out of it.

Sometimes, life isn't fair...
was this car in the oc? i think i remember seeing a hot asian girl driving in irvine right when the m5's drop so it caught my attention and then i noticed the driver.
Old 10-01-06, 08:29 AM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by r4z0r3ck
was this car in the oc? i think i remember seeing a hot asian girl driving in irvine right when the m5's drop so it caught my attention and then i noticed the driver.

Downtown San Francisco. But it could have been the same girl

Quick Reply: Everyones thoughts on 07 BMW M5.