Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which SUV would give me more bang for the buck?
2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE/LE
13.33%
2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5
70.00%
Don't buy an SUV - Why?
16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

2006 Nissan Pathfinder or Toyota 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-06, 05:38 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2006 Nissan Pathfinder or Toyota 4Runner

I am in the process of purchasing my very first SUV, before everyone starts yelling at me for selling my GS. No, I'm not leaving the CL family (wife wants me to) hahaha, just need more room and sitting higher, buying this SUV is my plan for increasing my family population (baby may be on the way soon, next year)

So, anyone has any experience with the two vehicles mentioned above, please share and advice. Pricing and options are most welcome!

Pathfinder SE/LE

4Runner Limited SR5

Which one ?
Old 09-12-06, 06:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

4Runner....I have had friends down here walk between two dealerships in my neighborhood, one Nissan and one Toyota...and they usually walk out of the Toyota with the 4Runner. Not that the Pathfinder is bad or anything, but it does not sell well down here and a lot of people who love Nissan products will end up buying a Murano to replace their old Pathfinder due to size differences.
Old 09-12-06, 06:56 AM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=1SICKREVIEW

My review of the Pathfinder. Hot garbage.....

Old 09-12-06, 07:47 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a 2006 Toyota 4runner SE like 3 weeks ago, and I got it for about 3500$ under invoice. pretty sweet car. I take 4runner over pathfinder anyday.
Old 09-12-06, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm going to try and be as objective here as I can. While both vehicles will fill the role as a daily driver, unless you regularly go off-roading or do significant towing, I think you have better choices if you just want something for everyday commuting / errand-running and foul-weather traction on pavement....like a RAV4, Highlander, CRV, Pilot, etc.....and of course, the Subaru Outbacks, which are even more pleasant to drive.

The 4-Runner is quite high and narrow; the Pathfinder a little less so, which of course does not help vehicle stability any. Push a 4-Runner / Lexus GX470 (twins ) hard in a sharp curve or yank the steering wheel to avoid something and you definitely risk a rollover. In addition, the 4-Runner's chassis is primarily designed for hard-core terrrain off road......its on-road ride and handling is very stiff and trucklike ( though not as harsh as past models ). Gas mileage is also truck-like. However, in the 4-Runner's favor, it has very durable components underneath and is known for anvil-like reliability.
The new Pathfinder, unlike many other SUV's today which have done just the opposite, converted last year from a unibody to a separate body-on-frame design....making it, of course, more of a truck than before but, like the 4-Runner, giving it good off-road capability now. It's now basically just a big brother to the hard-core off-road XTerra. The previous Pathfinder was quite comfortable, but now it is more truck-like, of course, in its ride / handling compromise. One good thing in the Pathfinder's favor is that it now ( finally ) has the All-Wheel-Drive system with the center differential that it SHOULD have gotten years ago and didn't....before now it was stuck with the archaic part-time 4WD system that couldn't be used on dry pavement...you had to screw around with levers and transfer cases.

Like I said, the 4-Runner is likely to be very reliable. The Pathfinder, like many Nissan trucks and SUV's, likely to be quite a bit less reliable, mostly from problems in the Canton, MS Nissan truck plant.

For your purposes, I think you would be happier with a car-based SUV that would offer more comfort, better mileage, better handling, and more flexibility on everyday hard pavement driving. The Highlander, in addition, is available in a hybrid version for even better mileage ( but a lot of complexity ).
Old 09-12-06, 04:23 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If gas of any concern I would look at the Toyota Highlander they are currently offering great deals on those.

The Toyota 4 Runner I think is better than the new Pathfinder. The interior of it is not special considering it is essentially has the same dash as the Frontier and Xterra. Also the Pathfinder's interior room is smaller than that of the 4Runner. However if you do need the third row the Pathfinder's does fold flat. I prefer my generation Pathfinder much more than the current. mmarshall, my 02 Pathfinder LE has full-time 4WD not part-time. I believe it's only the SE, and S models that don't come with it.
Old 09-12-06, 06:28 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

4runner you can't go wrong with it. It has a great interior quality and ext design avalible V8. Sat in a pathfinder 2 weeks ago and it just didn't feel as nice or look as nice as the 4runner did. Go and compare both for yourself bro.
Old 09-15-06, 08:07 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you everyone for their responses and great insight. I am coming down to this below and will go for the PF.

Gas is not my big concern, for anything, if anyone who thinks of buying an SUV and also worry about GAS/MPG they really make me wondered. Trade-off the MPG for room and 4x4 which I need in this part of the country. The northeast does have some nasty snow/ice storm each winter, and I live on a small street which not always get plowed and cleaned as well as the bigger street in the township. I'm sicked and tired of being stucked when it's snow for the 10 years

I did seriously look at the 4runner but my brother already has one, SR5 2005 model, we just don't need 2 of them. Anyway, if anyone knows something about pricings for the PF... please chime in or share your experience.... see below... thank you so much!

================================================
FIRST CHOICE:
2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4
Red Brawn Pearl - Graphite Leather interior
-Leather Package
-Comfort/Convenience Package
-Premium Package
-Splash Guard
-Floor Mats
-Cargo Net

MSRP: $34,325
Invoice: $31,484
Rabate: $500
Dealer Offer Price: $31,184
Hold Back: $629.68 (2% from Invoice)
Est. Tru-Invoice: $30,554.32
6% PA Tax: $1,833.26 (6% x Tru-Invoice)
Tag/License: $141.00
Low-Ball-Ofer: $30,029.08 (EST Tru-Invoice + Tax + Tag - $200LBO)
Target Price (OTD): (MSRP - $500 Rebate - 30,029.08)/2 + ($30,029.08) = $31,927.04

Dealer offers: $32,100 OTD with Free Inspection, All-Season Rubber Floor Mats
and Cargo-Area Protector.

======================================
SECOND CHOICE: (NO LEATHER PKG)
2006 Year End Model SE 4x4
Red Brawn Pearl - Graphite Cloth
- Comfort/Convenience Package
- Premium Package
- Floor Mats
- Cargo Floor Mats
- All-Season Rubber Floor Mats
- Cargo Protector
- Cargo Net

MSRP: $33,050
Invoice: $30,321
Rebate: $500
Hold-back @ 2%: $606.42
Estimate Tru Invoice: $29,714.58
Tru Invoice - Rebate $29,214.58
Tax = ?% x True Invoice PA 6% $1,752.87
Tag PA Charge $141.50
Low ball offer $29,108.95
Target Price $30,829.48

Dealer offers: $31,575 OTD (Free Inspection, All-Season Rubber Floor Mats
and Cargo-Area Protector.
Old 09-15-06, 10:03 AM
LexFather

I don't see how you can spend over 30k on that and sit inside that car. The interior for a new 2005 model is horrendous. HORRENDOUS. The Americans are way ahead, I recommend an Explorer quite frankly.

Old 09-15-06, 10:23 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

4runner ftw. when i use to work for toyota, my friend wanted to buy a 4 runner, but the price was higher then the pathfinder. he ended up getting the pathfinder. he likes it when things are cheaper. well his car rides and feels nothing like a 4runner. a 4runner is a great suv. i would get the sport model myself.
Old 09-15-06, 10:54 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

I would NEVER buy a Nissan that came out of that Canton plant. I've read too many horror stories from owners of the Titan. Not sure if the Armada is made there too, but I know that they are having problems too.

I'd still get a 4Runner.
Old 09-18-06, 04:42 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

you guys give me some very good advice and really making me thinking about this whole Pathfinder vs. 4Runner. The deal is off!

If anyone has the TSB for both vehicles, could you please PM me or post it here. I want to see what's going on with this year's issue.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-18-06, 04:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
I would NEVER buy a Nissan that came out of that Canton plant. I've read too many horror stories from owners of the Titan. Not sure if the Armada is made there too, but I know that they are having problems too.
Yes, the Armada ( and its brother Infiniti QX56 ) are built there. Both were designed off of the Titan frame and platform.

Kamikaze is correct. I do not recommend vehicles that are built in that plant either.....a shame, since the Titan and Armada / QX56 are the only TRUE Japanese-designed FULL-size pickups / SUV's on the market. The Toyotas, despite being marketed as " full-sized " are really only three/quarter sized....though the Sequoia is close.
Old 09-18-06, 04:53 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Canton plant: ??? where is this? Why is it a bad news if the vehicle was manufactured there?

Where is the 4Runner made?
Where is the Pathfinder made?

Somehow, I thought they both made in JP and shipped here... wrong?

Thanks for sharing.

chuck
Old 09-18-06, 05:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuckisc
Canton plant: ??? where is this? Why is it a bad news if the vehicle was manufactured there?

Where is the 4Runner made?
Where is the Pathfinder made?

Somehow, I thought they both made in JP and shipped here... wrong?

Thanks for sharing.

chuck
The Canton, MS Nissan-Infiniti plant has a reputation for quality problems. It is not quite as bad as a couple of years ago, but it still ranks very low among automotive plants in general level of quality and competence. While one cannot put the blame entirely on the state ( there are a number of reasons for the problems at the plant ), Mississippi, in general, does not have a very skilled workforce. My own Federal agency has dealt with contractor companies in the state and had disastrous results with them.

To answer your questions.......as far as I know, the 4Runner is still Japanese-built. However, part of its assembly may get shifted to the new Toyota truck plant at San Antonio, TX....Toyota has been rather mum about this. Also, as far as I know, the Pathfinder is not assembled at Canton but next door at Nissan's Smyrna, TN plant......a MUCH better plant than at Canton.

Quick Reply: 2006 Nissan Pathfinder or Toyota 4Runner