Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Q

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-06, 07:56 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Q

I was wondering if Infiniti discontinued the Q are they coming out with a new one?
Old 09-12-06, 07:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they discontinued it, hopefully they will come out with something
Old 09-12-06, 05:24 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Q is only discontinued in the US and canada. They should come up with something eventually
Old 09-12-06, 07:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
I was wondering if Infiniti discontinued the Q are they coming out with a new one?
There is no internal talk of one from my sources. The last Q was such a huge disapointment to Nissan/Renault and their executives it left a very bitter taste in their mouths. We are talking the pearl, the flagship, this car was supposed to be the car to bring Infiniti to people's attention, not the entry level G35. It was a huge slap to top engineers and management. Part of the reason the 50 or 60k GT-R will be a Nissan, not an Infiniti as people will not pay more than 50k for an INfiniti (M45 sales are not seperated by M35 sales so we don't know how many they sell but it ain't more than 400 a month).

The A8 is superb to any Q and probably future Q and it does not sell (sadly, the A8 is a superb car)

Bottom line, Ghosen has stated time and time again "I am in buisness to sell cars and make money, I do not have my heart in it to make a car just to make a car and lose money". SInce the Q business case= money loser, don't hold your breathe for a new one.

The higher you move in price, the MORE prestige means. Lexus is the only Japanese luxury maker that continues to move up and sell and they are not even huge sellers at that price.
GS 430 60k loaded
GS 450h 60k+ loaded
LS starts now at 60k
LX at 70k (I think)
SC at 60k+

The Q is dead and no one is going to miss it outside of maybe 9 people.
Originally Posted by Hypnotik
The Q is only discontinued in the US and canada. They should come up with something eventually
Yes "only" discontinued in its 2 biggest markets where it sold maybe 20 copies a month Continues to be sold in these huge markets:
Greenland
Stankonia
Africa Bambatta
Poland
Ghana

I ask everyone, imagine a LS 400/430 that didn't sell and rusted on dealer lots? Imagine a S or 7 series that got laughed at and ignored? It would change the ENTIRE COMPLEXION of those respective companies.....

Old 09-12-06, 07:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I've always liked the latest Q45, especially when it has JP rims and kits

But for the price, I rather see myself in an M45, and have left over money for a used GS300 as a daily driver
Old 09-12-06, 07:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's too bad, as the Q45 is a very very nice car. Only downfalls are the crappy fake wood trim, especially on the steering wheel, and confusing navi.

That being said, an used Q45 can be had at a steal price.
Old 09-12-06, 08:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
It's too bad, as the Q45 is a very very nice car. Only downfalls are the crappy fake wood trim, especially on the steering wheel, and confusing navi.

OMG, I started a thread on that. You can get 2002/2003 Q45s and 2004 M45s for low 20s....INCREDIBLE used car buy!

Old 09-12-06, 08:09 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

seems a bit odd to say ppl wont pay 50k for an infiniti but theyll pay 50k for a nissan? the Q was a big flop but it was a good car... and yea theyre steals as used cars... they were good quality cars, they just never caught on just like a lot of infiniti's products before the G35 came out.
Old 09-12-06, 09:33 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

"Word" is that the next generation Infiniti flagship sedan is a couple years away and will use a 400+ hp 5.0L V8. It will drop the moniker "Q" and use something else.
Old 09-12-06, 09:37 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dynasty SC
seems a bit odd to say ppl wont pay 50k for an infiniti but theyll pay 50k for a nissan? the Q was a big flop but it was a good car... and yea theyre steals as used cars... they were good quality cars, they just never caught on just like a lot of infiniti's products before the G35 came out.
Just remember. Anything and i mean anything that has to do with nissan/infiniti, a certain someone has only negative things to say. If there is a positive post by this person theres always some little smart *** remark to put the brand down.

Oh and i paid over 50k for my infiniti and it gets more looks and compliments than my lexus.
Old 09-12-06, 09:52 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have read, it seems like they're going to let the redesigned G hit the ground, do the coupe a year later, redesign the FX, refresh the M, and if their sales of 40-50K cars are still as strong in four or five years as they are now, the Q will probably resurface, maybe sometime after the next generation M. For now though, as 1SICK noted, the car isn't making them any money and it makes more sense to direct resources and money towards other products.

If their sales in the 50K+ segment continue to do well, they should have no reason to try another Q as it's a bit of a legend as the 2nd rate Japanese luxury flagship. They could share a lot of hardware and a platform with the M to cut cost, and probably make a decent business case. I think the future of the Q though, depends on the future of the M, G, and FX.
Old 09-12-06, 11:22 PM
Q45th
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Sorry others on the board confusing you and giving you false information.
Anyhow...to clear things up Q is not discontinued. They released a 2006 model and there will be no 07 model currently. They are doing a redesign currently (as we speak) that will make it for 08. I seen some images from Japan at the Glendale Infiniti that that showed a heavily cloaked up material covering it but it looked similar to the current Audi A8L but longer and wider as they will have a longbase and short base version. Go down to the Glendale Infiniti and ask for Matt.. he wasnt supposed to show me the photos but since I bought my 05 from him he was obliged to show me and keeping on the down low or whatever. Regardless there will be an 08 no matter what others on the board have said and cracks me up that they say it's discontinued just because there is no 07 model. People should know the facts before making assumptions especially when others depend on for factualy information from moderators but since this is a pro lexus board I give them the benefit of the doubt of not knowing whats really going on behind closed doors. I do know however the engine will be pushing minimum 400hp and will be dropping the q45 name and possibly being called Q55 from what they are saying. They were the ones who actually showed me picks of the m45 back in 02 before they even announced the FUGA so they are a reliable source. Another sales guy at the wheel warehouse in Anahiem wheelwarehouse.com named Carlos came across the photos as well and said its going to blow away new LS hands down but we'll just have to wait and see. If anyone calls the store mention the guy who had an 05 looking for the 22inch which was me and the discussion we had about the 2008 Q45 and he'll give you all the details

Also for reference

http://www.intellichoice.com/future/future/year/2008
click link for reference

2008 Hyundai pickup
Launch.

2008 Hyundai Sport Wagon
Versatile, all-weather sport wagon joins the popular vehicle segment. Launch timing coincides with target completion date for a new six-speed automatic transmission intended for AWD vehicles. Hmm.

2008 Hyundai Tiburon
A convertible joins the redesigned coupe.

2008 Infiniti CX
Infiniti will join the BMW X3-fighter fray for the 2008 model year with a smaller V-6 and four-cylinder counterpart to its FX35/45 crossover. Named CX25 (for the 2.5-liter four-cylinder version that'll be the volume seller in Europe), and CX35 (for the hotter 3.5-liter V-6 version expected to take most sales in the U.S.), the CX will share many of the FX's bold styling cues. It'll be built on a shortened next-generation FM front-mid-engine platform. The versatile FM underpins the FX35/45, M35/45, G35, Nissan 350Z, and the next Skyline GT-R.

2008 Infiniti FX
Redesign.

2008 Infiniti M35/M45
Freshening.

2008 Infiniti Q45
Redesign.

2008 Infiniti Skyline GT-R
We can't tell you whether it will be sold in North America as the Nissan GT-R or the Infiniti GT-R, because Nissan brass claims it hasn't decided. (Insiders favor Infiniti, citing a better price fit, need for a performance halo vehicle, and desire to protect the marketing value of the 350Z.) We can end rumors that Nissan would slide in a 4.5-liter V-8 for North America and confidently tell you that the United States gets the same engine as the rest of the world. The engine we expect will be a highly tuned twin-turbo 3.7L/450-hp V-6, powering the rear wheels. The '08 model launching in late '07 will be the first GT-R sold in left- as well as right-hand-drive versions. Codenamed R35, this will also be the first Skyline to wear its own unique sheetmetal. Expect a few changes to be made from the Tokyo concept as the GT-R races to production, particularly with the front bumper and headlamps
Old 09-12-06, 11:23 PM
Q45th
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Och

Sorry, Q uses no false wood trim LOL. Call the Service at Glendale Infiniti as you been wrongly informed again.
Old 09-12-06, 11:26 PM
Q45th
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jrock65
"Word" is that the next generation Infiniti flagship sedan is a couple years away and will use a 400+ hp 5.0L V8. It will drop the moniker "Q" and use something else.
I dont know where you heard that also but that is true about the 400+ engine and that is factual. Give a few more months and more will be shed about the development about the new Q. They just wanted everyone to come out the gates with their new cars so they know what there up against. Just look at the new G.. almost has all the new features of the new LS with the awesome system and hardrive built in the car.... now what do you think the new Q is going to have??
Old 09-12-06, 11:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually I think Infiniti and Nissan are on the right path, have been ever since the introduction of the new Altima. Right now the Altima is very competitive with Accord and Camry, as it is available in both 6 and 4 cylinders, unlike the old Maxima which was 6 cyl only and old Altima, which was 4 cylinder only. They didn't have anything to compete with 4 cyl Camrys and Accords, but now the Altima does very well - it competes with these two, and the 6 cyl model took over for the old Maxima.

Then they got rid of the I30/35, and made Infiniti consist of real premium cars only. They covered the I30/35 market with the new upscale Maxima. Then they release the G35, which literally wiped the floor with silly 3 series. Then the FX, now the M. And this new G35 is even better. IMO they should release the new Q, right now people have a lot of interest in the brand with the launch of the new G, so the Q wont go unnoticed.

And IMO Lexus should take some lessons from Infiniti. Release the IS350 with manual, release a coupe with tuned suspension, get rid of the glorified Camry - it doesn't belong in a premium line up!

Quick Reply: New Q