Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

335i Dyno (for comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 05:30 PM
lux.sh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats even funnier, Lexus lovers always getting so DEFENSIVE!!!

hahaha. talking about making a fool out of yourself. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Some people just never learn.

I love the IS350. BMW did a better job with 335i. Stop crying.
Old 09-14-06, 05:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lux.sh

hahaha. talking about making a fool out of yourself. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Some people just never learn.

Yes, I am a fool b/c I drive a slower Lexus

As for the "never learn" comment, you can tidy up your act or get banned. I suggest re-reading the rules.

So let me know, my finger is on the ban trigger....

Old 09-14-06, 07:01 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Bottom line is they are different cars with different purposes. In fact I would say that right now the competition in the "sports-lux" segment is more diversified than ever before. Works for me; I personally like a tighter right, more road feedback and more torque on the low end; some folks prefer more technology, a more isolated cabin and power when they need it - it's a good time to be a car buyer.
Old 09-14-06, 07:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by lux.sh

yes because BMW owners never get defensive, have fun spending 48k in order to have any decent options
Old 09-14-06, 08:02 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Stop being children or this thread, like so many other non-lexus car threads will just end up closed. This is supposed to be car chat; do we really want all the non-Lexus threads closed?

(Surprising as it may be, I did have fun spending 61k on my 335i , and fwiw here in Canuckistan a similarly equipped IS350 is $59,800)

Last edited by picus; 09-14-06 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-14-06, 08:31 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by insider
Yes I believe they are very comparable. And in Car and Driver's opinion, the BMW 330i with sport suspension rides much smoother than the IS350 with sport suspension. The BMW got a "9" for its ride while the Lexus got a "7". So when you say one rides really harsh I assume you mean the Lexus?
Yep them magazines always give BMW high marks (I like my 545i a little but when i saw the 06 GS 430 i was ready to get rid of it)every magazine i read BMWs get teir azz kicked in everything but the slalom and still wins the comparison test. And oh yeah win toyota slapped a twin turbo charger on their inline six way back in the early nineties look what beast they had I don't think the 335i wnted to mess with that beast.
Old 09-14-06, 11:10 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes, I am a fool b/c I drive a slower Lexus

As for the "never learn" comment, you can tidy up your act or get banned. I suggest re-reading the rules.

So let me know, my finger is on the ban trigger....
Hmmm if memory serve me correctly, didn't you and lux.sh had a disagreement in another thread........ I'm going to get my popcorn.
Old 09-15-06, 03:24 AM
lux.sh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yes because BMW owners never get defensive, have fun spending 48k in order to have any decent options
better than paying 40k for nothing, at least we get "a car" for 48k.

ok thats hitting below the belt. Man, I love playing with lexus enthusiasts. If you haven't noticed, I was joking. so relax. You probably got really pissed and started typing when you saw that first sentence. Now that 1SICKLEX is really on my ***, I should watch my ***.
Old 09-15-06, 05:15 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

As usual, you've done no research before posting your exaggerative comments.
Old 09-15-06, 05:19 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

First attempt at tuning the 335i.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165585

It's been 5 days since we got our car. Fortunately, most of us here are a bit obsessive when it comes to digging into perfectly fine, brand new cars and seeing if we can come up with any newfound power. We're not anywhere close to being done. I still want to get control of the closed loop fuel targets, directly control the boost contol solenoids as well as interface with the vanos system. That's at least a few weeks out. So far, all we did was minor ignition timing, fuel and boost pattern tweaks. Even on our 91oct, I suspect there is still a good deal more power that can be safely extracted once we have finished this project. Once again, these results are just our first attempt at tuning this car. It does not represent a complete tune. It's just one step at a time.

Results:

The gains were greatest at higher engine speeds. At 7000rpm, we picked up nearly 70whp with richer-than-stock A/F ratio. Peak WHP increased from 278 to 310whp at 6000rpm. Torque from 288lb-ft to 311lb-ft. I stayed nice and conservative at low to mid engine speeds (where, quite frankly, we should see the biggest gains when all is said and done). This was because I don't yet have control of the AFR targets in this region. The stock fuel mapping is too lean to run either the extra boost the turbos most certainly are capable of supporting, or optimal spark advance. Once we get control of the fuel in this region, we can start to turn up the wick and really get the sick midrange torque than the hardware is capable of supporting. For now, all we really wanted to do is make the car charge to redline instead of fall flat above 6000rpm. We did a little more than that but that was just an unexpected bonus. More to come in the next few weeks. Until then, it's back to testing.

Old 09-15-06, 05:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
As usual, you've done no research before posting your exaggerative comments.
I built a 335 with the same specs as my car minus the automatic and it was 47.5k BEFORE TTL, with tax it will be over 10k more expensive than mine

Good tuning on that 335, so its only fuel tuning, it will surely destroy an M3 now

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-15-06 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-15-06, 08:27 AM
insider
Pole Position

I built a 335 with the same specs as my car minus the automatic and it was 47.5k BEFORE TTL, with tax it will be over 10k more expensive than mine

Good tuning on that 335, so its only fuel tuning, it will surely destroy an M3 now
I was seriously concidering the IS350. I do like the car. But after comparing to two using the european delivery the 335i is actually less expensive, especially considering I can get European delivery for $1,000 over invoice. Add in the smoother ride, better handling, far superior and much faster shifting auto tranny, better toque curve, faster acceleration, free maintanence, easy to add power due to the turbo's, better high-altitude power due to the turbos, smoother engine, and it is a no brainor
Old 09-15-06, 08:43 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was seriously concidering the IS350. I do like the car. But after comparing to two using the european delivery the 335i is actually less expensive, especially considering I can get European delivery for $1,000 over invoice. Add in the smoother ride, better handling, far superior and much faster shifting auto tranny, better toque curve, faster acceleration, free maintanence, easy to add power due to the turbo's, better high-altitude power due to the turbos, smoother engine, and it is a no brainor
It's good that you are able to get the car for such a price!

Everyone will find that one will fit them better than the other. It's good to hear that the 335i fits you.

When are you going to pick it up?
Old 09-15-06, 09:17 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Aye dog don't forget about stuck front windows, horrible sounding system,battery going dead in cold, car cutting off in middle of stoplight,cel coming on for every little thing, the $9 quart of oil they want you to use and oh yeah you can't forget about Malibu tranny other than that my ex
545i was a nice car in the 2 years i've owned it.
Nice car i'm telling you
Old 09-15-06, 09:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by picus
Stop being children or this thread, like so many other non-lexus car threads will just end up closed. This is supposed to be car chat; do we really want all the non-Lexus threads closed?

(Surprising as it may be, I did have fun spending 61k on my 335i , and fwiw here in Canuckistan a similarly equipped IS350 is $59,800)
It is clear the VAST MAJORITY of threads in car chat are non-lexus and not closed.

Quick Reply: 335i Dyno (for comparison)