Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

335i Dyno (for comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 12:51 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is clear the VAST MAJORITY of threads in car chat are non-lexus and not closed.
I'm pretty sure you get my point, regardless.
Old 09-18-06, 07:33 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I find it funny that no one (rag mags) has lined up the higher HP Honda, BMW or G35 against the IS350. Could it be that they are so close that it would hurt sales? Time will tell and I think the IS will hold it's own.

I'm sorry but ALL the rags couldn't give a fair comparison if they wanted to. They ALL have the BMW winning before they even compare them and they manipulate the categories until the BMW wins, no matter what! Lets be honest the IS (or any other vehicle for that matter) is never going to get a fair shake against a BMW in a rag comparison.

Koz
Old 09-18-06, 07:37 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I find it funny that no one (rag mags) has lined up the higher HP Honda, BMW or G35 against the IS350. Could it be that they are so close that it would hurt sales? Time will tell and I think the IS will hold it's own.

I'm sorry but ALL the rags couldn't give a fair comparison if they wanted to. They ALL have the BMW winning before they even compare them and they manipulate the categories until the BMW wins, no matter what! Lets be honest the IS (or any other vehicle for that matter) is never going to get a fair shake against a BMW in a rag comparison.

Koz
Yeah it sure does seem that way, but on the other hand this type of competition is making all the cars better, cheaper and overall cooler IMHO. One of these days BMW will be knocked off the top.
Old 09-18-06, 09:33 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
But why would the Lexus win? It's a nice car, but with sport suspension the IS350 does not handle as well as the BMW, it also does not ride as smooth. Those are two very big elements of the car.

The new BMW 335i has a new auto transmission with very fast and smooth shift times. It also blimps the throttle on downshifts. Does Lexus have this? Yet you expect the IS350 to win? Drive both and you will see the BMW is the better car
Old 09-18-06, 05:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by insider
But why would the Lexus win? It's a nice car, but with sport suspension the IS350 does not handle as well as the BMW, it also does not ride as smooth. Those are two very big elements of the car.

The new BMW 335i has a new auto transmission with very fast and smooth shift times. It also blimps the throttle on downshifts. Does Lexus have this? Yet you expect the IS350 to win? Drive both and you will see the BMW is the better car
lol... dude, despite having 10% more power, 335i is only as fast as IS350... Major part of this would be very fast transmission in IS350, and shorter power delivery of335i's turbo...

So it is really funny that you bring the AT argument, since it is really not valid. You should really ask yourself what did BMW mess up to get such low numbers.
Old 09-18-06, 05:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
thats because G35 and 335i just came out, and up to 1 month ago mags were not able to get cars for testing, other than press previews.

I am sure you will find lot of comparo's in next month's mags...
Old 09-18-06, 05:19 PM
LexFather

Gotta love Mitsubishi turbos!!!! (Your gonna hear that one)

Old 09-18-06, 05:59 PM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol... dude, despite having 10% more power, 335i is only as fast as IS350... Major part of this would be very fast transmission in IS350, and shorter power delivery of335i's turbo...

So it is really funny that you bring the AT argument, since it is really not valid. You should really ask yourself what did BMW mess up to get such low numbers.
I have driven both. The BMW is signifcantly faster. You will see when the magazines test both on the same day with the same driver. There is no hope for the IS350.

The transmission in the BMW is far superior. It shifts instantly and does what you want in manual mode unlike the Lexus trans which does not shift when you want it to. The IS350 trans is a bit primitive. Yes, this is a very important part of the car.
Old 09-18-06, 07:31 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

The IS350 transmission is not primitive. I would say the two transmissions are both very good, however it did feel to me like when using the paddles BMW's was slightly quicker, harder to boggle up, it'll hold a gear and will blip on downshifts. I do not know which is quicker in full auto mode, however I bet they are both stupid fast.

As for straight line speed; I think that the 335i will be slightly faster, but who cares really? When you're talking 1 or 2 tenths in the 1/4 it's not going to make any difference on the road. Driving dynamics are way more important to me.
Old 09-18-06, 10:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
The IS350 transmission is not primitive. I would say the two transmissions are both very good, however it did feel to me like when using the paddles BMW's was slightly quicker,
The new BMW transmission shifts at 100 ms according to documentation I've read around the BMW forums. We discussed this couple months ago where I posted the same thing, but nobody posted any information on exactly how fast the new IS transmission shifts. Maybe Lexus hasn't released that particular information?
Old 09-19-06, 04:06 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

And you should ask yourself what you're missing to come to such premature and erroneous conclusions. Mag racing??
Old 11-14-06, 09:24 AM
insider
Pole Position

Yep, the 335i is definitely faster, just as predicted http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36364
Old 11-14-06, 10:45 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Yep, the 335i is definitely faster, just as predicted http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36364

or right here on CL
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=248443
Old 11-14-06, 05:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

you mean 335i MANUAL COUPE is definetly faster on one guys GTECH, than IS350 SEDAN AUTOMATIC.

its apples to apples definetly here, lol.
Old 11-15-06, 11:38 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

you mean 335i MANUAL COUPE is definetly faster on one guys GTECH, than IS350 SEDAN AUTOMATIC.

its apples to apples definetly here, lol.
At least BMW let their customers choose between "apples" and "oranges".

Is it true that most Lexus fans who claim themselves as "car enthusiast" or "know a lot about cars" only cares about straight line acceleration because their beloved Lexus can't turn as well as their major competitors?

Quick Reply: 335i Dyno (for comparison)