Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford To Make Stability Control Standard by 2009

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 06:01 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ford To Make Stability Control Standard by 2009

Ford plans to make electronic stability control standard on all vehicles, with the Lincoln MKX (pictured) among the first recipients, getting ESC in 2007.

Date posted: 09-13-2006

DEARBORN, Mich. — The Ford Motor Company has announced electronic stability control will be standard on all its U.S. cars and trucks by the end of 2009 and ahead of an anticipated government standard mandating the use of such systems by 2010.

Ford is among several leading automakers, including General Motors, Chrysler, Honda and Toyota that have been extending stability control to more vehicles. GM has said it will make stability control standard by 2010.

A growing body of evidence strongly suggests that the use of such systems can help prevent and mitigate accidents and reduce traffic injuries and deaths. Earlier this year, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety said stability control could prevent 10,000 fatal crashes a year if it were standard equipment on all vehicles.

Ford said ESC currently is standard on all its midsize and full-size SUVs and will be expanded in 2007 to small SUVs and all crossover vehicles, including the new Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX. Standard stability control will be added to the redesigned 2008 Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner and Ford Freestyle, the company said.

Thursday, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is expected to announce a new federal standard that would require stability control on all vehicles sold in the United States after 2010.

What this means to you: The U.S. government plans to order stability control as mandatory equipment on all vehicles — but Ford will beat it to the punch.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=116798#2
Old 09-14-06, 07:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't Toyota/Lexus make all their cars with VSC already? I've rented almost all of them and it seems like they all had it (when I pushed them as much as I could)...
Old 09-14-06, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

No. Entry-level Toyotas do not have it.....as is the case with many lower-priced manufacturers. Even my 2001 Lexus IS300 did not have it standard....or optional. it became an option after 2001.

NHTSA has proposed it be standard in all new U.S.market vehicles by 2011-2012. See my adjoining thread here in CAR CHAT labelled " Big Brother Strikes Again ".