Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 335i Sedan Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-06, 11:37 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
You are 99% correct.

However, the Corvette Z06, even in the C5 form, is actually a high 3 to low 4 second car in a 0-60mph sprint exercise.

The 1994' C4 405hp ZR-1 could manage 4.7 seconds and the newer 375hp C5 is only a tick behind or so.

Jon
Mid to low 4's I can see in stock form but high 3 seconds? Even my friend with a 2003 once supercharged and now turbocharged Z06 might not agree with a sub 4 second stock Z06. He is the president of EFI Unlimmited if you happened to have heard that name before.
Old 09-25-06, 11:42 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
BMW didnt have naturally aspirated 6cly over 300hp, in great numbers at least... yes, there is m3 and it is awesome, but it is an low volume car with well documented engine issues...
By the way, what is the well documented engine issues on the E46 M3 engine? I know of one issue that caused catastrophic engine failure but has since been long resolved. It is a non issue now unless some early 2002 M3 owner hasn't taken his car in for the recall. If that is the case that is his own damn fault.
Old 09-26-06, 12:04 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

You're correct. And yes. I have heard of them.

However, the problem with these Vettes not being able to dip into the high 3s is not because of their lack of power output. The engine is simply too powerful for even the most massive tires out there to handle.

That being said, I believe that somewhere in the Car and Driver's database, there's one stock C5 Z06 that actually managed a 3.9 sec. sprint from 0-60mph. Perhaps those folks simply got the best out of the monster's traction for that run.

Jon

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Mid to low 4's I can see in stock form but high 3 seconds? Even my friend with a 2003 once supercharged and now turbocharged Z06 might not agree with a sub 4 second stock Z06. He is the president of EFI Unlimmited if you happened to have heard that name before.
Old 09-26-06, 12:10 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
You're correct. And yes. I have heard of them.

However, the problem with these Vettes not being able to dip into the high 3s is not because of their lack of power output. The engine is simply too powerful for even the most massive tires out there to handle.

That being said, I believe that somewhere in the Car and Driver's database, there's one stock C5 Z06 that actually managed a 3.9 sec. sprint from 0-60mph. Perhaps those folks simply got the best out of the monster's traction for that run.

Jon

Yes, those Vettes are awsome performance machines. I still debate with myself if I should one day get one, but if I go the 2 seater sports car route again in the future my heart still says get another NSX. Or maybe Porsche Cayman S.
Old 09-26-06, 12:17 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Alternatively, the 1996' Porsche 911 Turbo may also be a very awesome choice. In my opinion, it's the last real 911 out there.

Believe it or not. Car and Driver actually managed to muster a 3.6 sec. 0-60mph sprint from a stock 911 turbo in its Aug. 1996' issue. Don't ask me how they did it though.

Jon

Yes, those Vettes are awsome performance machines. I still debate with myself if I should one day get one, but if I go the 2 seater sports car route again in the future my heart still says get another NSX. Or maybe Porsche Cayman S.
Old 09-26-06, 06:07 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I mean an automatic. The 335i Coupe was a manual and the 335i Sedan was an automatic. They got 4.8 for the Sedan and 4.9 for the Coupe.
The coupe was AT, the sedan was MT. Either way, the AT and MT are within 0.1 of eachother by C/D's test.

As for displacement and turbos - we've been over that. Lexus went with displacement and BMW with with small turbos. I wouldn't say either is technologically more advanced. BMW's idea is a bit more innovative, but also probably a bit riskier; which is right up their respective alleys, no? One thing you have to give the BMW engine is that it likely has more potential.

As for the heat thing (which you chose to bring up again), I thought we had addressed that too? One report from someone who was caught in a lie about all the cars overheating. Can't even confirm it actually overheated. Tons of people tracking the cars with no issues. Until more people confirm heat problems I think it is safe to say that the heat issue is a rumor at best. At this point I have a hard time believing you are being constructive, unless you're not reading the posts you're responding to.
Old 09-26-06, 06:50 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Sure, like everyone says. Lexus is not perfect so we can't expect BMW to be perfeft can we now? As for the ABS failure, that issue was solved by a simple software update in the E90. The problem is done with. Just like how we praise Toyota and Lexus for quickly addressing the problems that arrise, so should be applaud BMW for quickly figuring out the problem and coming up with a fix. Fair is fair right?
agreed, good point.
Old 09-26-06, 07:11 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
The BMW engine is smaller 3 liters vs 3.5 liters, lighter (415lbs vs 450lbs), makes more power (underrated BMW numbers), makes more torque with a flatter torque curve, has a LOT more modding potential (can easily achieve 70 more hp with a simple stage 1 ECU tune), has full direct injection and is more efficient all while doing so with a smaller capacity engine. It is also the worlds first direct injection engine with two small lag-free turbos. It is definitely high-tech.

Just making the engine bigger? while still a high tech engine, just increasing the displacement is kind of the easier less innovative way of going about that business.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...ngine-in-depth
I have to disagree with you bro, Look at the v8's the BMW has a larger displacement than the Lexus v8 4.8 compared to 4.6 and yet the Lexus V8 will crank out more HP 380 and more tq 367 so I believe the Lexus engine is more High tech in the v8 version
Old 09-26-06, 09:29 AM
rsx2is350
Driver School Candidate

Default Already BMW 335i engine issues!

This makes feel even better about buying the IS350!!!!!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163972

Not my car thank god!!

"There is 424kms on the odometer, and today after leaving a little car show I was on the highway cruising home, stepped on it a little to get into the lane then in my rear view mirror all I could see was tons and I mean tons of white smoke, then the red check engine light came on and the car stalled. I got it towed to my local BMW dealership, and its a holiday, but my salesman met me there and gave me an X5 to roll while they check my car out. It is going into service at 7am tomorrow mornig so I will keep you all updated. I have stepped on it a few times but nothing hardcore. Anyone have any ideas as to what may have happened? It was clouds of whiteish smoke coming from both exhaust tips, and even after sitting for a few minutes it was still coming out without the engine running. There was no warning or any noises or anything. The oil temp guage seemed fine and no warning sensors until this happend. There were no leaks of fluid and at glancing in the engine compartment everything looked fine. Any one have any ideas"
Old 09-26-06, 09:32 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

This was already posted. Somebody a little bit insecure about the BMW 335i ? I've read of only one instance of this occuring and people keep posting the same story as if it's a new story.

Last edited by mavericck; 09-26-06 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-26-06, 09:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Folks we have several active threads on the 335i, please add to those rather than start a new thread.

Topics on vehicles that are not built buy Lexus go in our 'car chat' forum please.
Old 09-26-06, 10:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rsx2is350
This makes feel even better about buying the IS350!!!!!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163972

Not my car thank god!!

"There is 424kms on the odometer, and today after leaving a little car show I was on the highway cruising home, stepped on it a little to get into the lane then in my rear view mirror all I could see was tons and I mean tons of white smoke, then the red check engine light came on and the car stalled. I got it towed to my local BMW dealership, and its a holiday, but my salesman met me there and gave me an X5 to roll while they check my car out. It is going into service at 7am tomorrow mornig so I will keep you all updated. I have stepped on it a few times but nothing hardcore. Anyone have any ideas as to what may have happened? It was clouds of whiteish smoke coming from both exhaust tips, and even after sitting for a few minutes it was still coming out without the engine running. There was no warning or any noises or anything. The oil temp guage seemed fine and no warning sensors until this happend. There were no leaks of fluid and at glancing in the engine compartment everything looked fine. Any one have any ideas"
lol... he probably lies! like everyone else who posts anything bad about 335i

:-).
Old 09-26-06, 10:28 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
you mean in manual? CD got Automatic IS350 0-60 in 5.1 sec, and manual 335i in 4.8... 0.3 sec? hardly an difference you pay 5k for... which will shrink or dissapear with 335i Automatic...

Comparing 330i and IS350, with naturally aspirated engines, IS350 has 16% bigger displacement, and 26% more torque... thats 10% torque less than IS350 when we level off displacement, and without any penalties in mpg.

on the other hand, to build 335i Sedan, BMW had to add twin turbos to be 0.3 faster at best in 0-60 and less than that in 1/4 mile, when comparing manual to automatic IS350 plus it is now porkier at some 80lbs more - lets remember how some BMW fans loved to call IS350 porky yet when 3 series evens out with power it is now porkier. So much about technology.

of course, we wont mention heatsoaking issues that are starting to appear right after car is out, which is kind of expected anyway and you got free maintainance anyway, right? Hey, if 330i managed to win comparo when it was broken, and had catastrophic abs failure during drag strip brakings, whats a bit of heat here and there....
Why can't the IS350 with more HP and less weight keep up with the BMW 335i? Poor engineering?
Old 09-26-06, 10:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by insider
Why can't the IS350 with more HP and less weight keep up with the BMW 335i? Poor engineering?
no the BMW engine is underated as evident from dyno testing, its actually running at least 320-330 hp despite them saying its 300 hp
Old 09-26-06, 10:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by insider
Your jabs at Lexus on a Lexus forum are getting old quick. Both are exceptional cars. The 335 is now the faster car. O-60 in 5.1 (IS) ain't no slouch either.

I suggest grow up fast or I'll shut the door for you. Dave just talked to you in another thread.

I can't wait to drive this. M3 light!

Quick Reply: BMW 335i Sedan Discussion (merged threads)