Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 335i Sedan Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 05:24 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cayman, I said typical, not stock. And no, your's isn't. Are you suggesting that any IS350 with your setup can go and run a 13.47? Surly not, if that were the case, all the car mags would have gotten a 13.47 timeslip and everyone here who has gone to the track would have got a 13.47 timeslip. Furhtermore, when you yourself come to CL and start a new thread about your day at the track, people would not be so impressed with your times as they would be pretty much expected to hit those times. However, becuase a 13.47 is not a typical time for a pretty much stock IS350, people are impressed with your times.
Old 09-28-06, 05:37 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dominant1
Well you knew Those krauts over at BMW could'nt let lexus keep the power crown for long in the mid sized 4 door sedan market. It's to bad they need a twin turbo to do it.
They don't need a twin turbo to do it. Proof: they've had a non-turbo engine (with less displacement!) for years that outperforms the IS350's engine. It's lived in the M3 since 2001. And that same engine was tweaked to 360 HP in the 3052-pound M3 CSL.

We all know what automakers are capable of. But the power numbers that finally end up in their cars aren't arrived at entirely by accident.
Old 09-28-06, 05:46 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Cayman, I said typical, not stock. And no, your's isn't. Are you suggesting that any IS350 with your setup can go and run a 13.47? Surly not, if that were the case, all the car mags would have gotten a 13.47 timeslip and everyone here who has gone to the track would have got a 13.47 timeslip. Furhtermore, when you yourself come to CL and start a new thread about your day at the track, people would not be so impressed with your times as they would be pretty much expected to hit those times. However, becuase a 13.47 is not a typical time for a pretty much stock IS350, people are impressed with your times.
I actually do expect people to get similiar times as me. I really haven't done anything special to the car. I'm an average driver (5'9" 165lbs), only been to the drag strip 3 times and I feel fairly sure I can beat the 13.47 at my next trip to the strip when the weather cools more.

Maybe it's because I have 13k miles on the car now and I broke my car in the debated way, but then again all the dyno's I've see are pretty much the same as mine.

Last edited by caymandive; 09-28-06 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 05:59 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

When you're on the drag strip, does the time start ticking when your car starts moving, or when the light turns green?
Old 09-28-06, 05:59 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Weather you expect other IS' to get similar times is irrelevant. The fact is that they don't. There are a heck of a lot more IS' running high 13's then there are running mid 13's. That is a fact.

If you want to speculate that you're getting those times because of a broken-in engine, then I can speculate that the 335i will get even faster once it is broken it, which would make it faster than the IS all over again.

FF, at the track, your RT (reaction time) is measured when the light turns. However the time for your run does not start until your car lurches forward.
Old 09-28-06, 06:02 AM
Irishfan
Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
When you're on the drag strip, does the time start ticking when your car starts moving, or when the light turns green?
Time starts when your wheel breaks out of the infrared beam at the starting point, think a garage door safety infrared mechanism in reverse.
Old 09-28-06, 06:04 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ramon
Weather you expect other IS' to get similar times is irrelevant. The fact is that they don't. There are a heck of a lot more IS' running high 13's then there are running mid 13's. That is a fact.

If you want to speculate that you're getting those times because of a broken-in engine, then I can speculate that the 335i will get even faster once it is broken it, which would make it faster than the IS all over again.

FF, at the track, your RT (reaction time) is measured when the light turns. However the time for your run does not start until your car lurches forward.
I didn't come into this thread to say the IS350 is faster than a 335i. I will admit, I am positive a 335i will beat our IS350's and that the times the mags got for the car are fairly conservative. I'd take the 335i over the IS350 any day for performance and the potential for tuning, but overall the Lexus fits my bill. I'm as surprised as anyone else is that I was able to get a mid to low 13 second run.
Old 09-28-06, 07:09 AM
joyriide11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dominant1
Well you knew Those krauts over at BMW could'nt let lexus keep the power crown for long in the mid sized 4 door sedan market. It's to bad they need a twin turbo to do it. Add 1 turbo to the lexus IS 350 and it does 0-60 in about 4.3 seconds or less. Besides whats a few tenths of a second when twin turbos are involved

I'm a BMW owner. Have never owned a lexus, but as many other forum members do, I frequent other brand forums just to see whats on the other side.

I normally wouldn't sign up, let alone make a post, but I just need to make one statement.

A lot of people claim BMW needed twin turbos to match the "IS", but no one ever comes to the realization that the BMW's engine has been a 3.0liter engine where as the Lexus was using a 3.5liter engine. Along with the post that was made about the M3 having a lower displacement and being tuned to 360hp.

Give congrats to BMW for pumping out good times and performance from a 3.0 NA engine, let alone a turbo'd 3.0liter engine. I promise you I give the same advice to BMW owners when they go on their rants.

I really would like to stick around and just see what happens along with a view from the grapevine, so don't think of me as a troll or anything.

Joy.
Old 09-28-06, 07:28 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joyriide11
I'm a BMW owner. Have never owned a lexus, but as many other forum members do, I frequent other brand forums just to see whats on the other side.

I normally wouldn't sign up, let alone make a post, but I just need to make one statement.

A lot of people claim BMW needed twin turbos to match the "IS", but no one ever comes to the realization that the BMW's engine has been a 3.0liter engine where as the Lexus was using a 3.5liter engine. Along with the post that was made about the M3 having a lower displacement and being tuned to 360hp.

Give congrats to BMW for pumping out good times and performance from a 3.0 NA engine, let alone a turbo'd 3.0liter engine. I promise you I give the same advice to BMW owners when they go on their rants.

I really would like to stick around and just see what happens along with a view from the grapevine, so don't think of me as a troll or anything.

Joy.
Not that it makes too much of a difference, but hasn't the M3 been using a 3.2 liter engine since the E36 M3?
Old 09-28-06, 07:35 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Guys we have SEVERAL BMW 335 threads going in the car chat forum. If there is a topic that does not pertain to the 2IS, it goes there please, not here.

I'm merging this thread with those.
Old 09-28-06, 08:04 AM
joyriide11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caymandive
Not that it makes too much of a difference, but hasn't the M3 been using a 3.2 liter engine since the E36 M3?
Yea. It has been using a 3.2liter displacement. I was refering to it having a lower displacement than the "IS"...
Old 09-28-06, 08:23 AM
ksfrogman
Driver School Candidate

When I was looking at the 3-series vs the IS350, the deal breaker was the lack of a manual transmission for the Lexus. Is that now available?
Old 09-28-06, 08:36 AM
joyriide11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ksfrogman
When I was looking at the 3-series vs the IS350, the deal breaker was the lack of a manual transmission for the Lexus. Is that now available?

It will soon. It will also be a new window for many 3 series owners that do not actually want or need certain things that BMW has to offer. It will open up that window for not only BMW owners, but for g35 owners as well.
Old 09-28-06, 09:24 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ff_
They don't need a twin turbo to do it. Proof: they've had a non-turbo engine (with less displacement!) for years that outperforms the IS350's engine. It's lived in the M3 since 2001. And that same engine was tweaked to 360 HP in the 3052-pound M3 CSL.

We all know what automakers are capable of. But the power numbers that finally end up in their cars aren't arrived at entirely by accident.
1. I want to welcome any BMW heads in here. Thanks for joining.

Okay, let us NOT forget, the M3 engine is a limited production, special edition engine going in the M3 and what Z4M?

The IS engine is a regular production engine.

Image if lexus TUNED that engine how BMW has a special engine for the M3.

Old 09-28-06, 09:32 AM
LexFather

Now as for engines, I must say
BMW needs Twin Turbos to get 300hp in the year 2007 from 3.0 liters.....

guess what
Nissan needed Twin Turbos to get 300hp from a 3.0 liter V-6 in 1990

Toyota needed Twin Turbos to get 320hp from a 3.0 (gasp) I-6 in 1994

Mitsubishi and Dodge need Twin Turbos and 3.0 liter V-6s to get 300hp then 320hp in the 90s as well.

And they all had time comparable to the 335....

So really, its not exactly a huge step forward in any technology, when the Japanese did it over 10 years ago

I rest me case!!!!

Quick Reply: BMW 335i Sedan Discussion (merged threads)