Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 335i Sedan Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 10:00 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay, let us NOT forget, the M3 engine is a limited production, special edition engine going in the M3 and what Z4M?

The IS engine is a regular production engine.
I don't know that I'd call the 3.2 a limited production, special edition engine. The M3 is a normal production car, and BMW will turn out as many of them (and MZ4's) as needed to meet demand. There are no limitations.

Regardless, we're talking about what BMW "had to do" in order to match (and beat) the IS 350's performance abilities. If you think that BMW couldn't drop a 3.0 NA, 300 HP straight 6 in the base 3 series, then you're only fooling yourself. Heck, even Ford could do it, if they were so inclined.
Old 09-28-06, 10:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ff_
I don't know that I'd call the 3.2 a limited production, special edition engine. The M3 is a normal production car, and BMW will turn out as many of them (and MZ4's) as needed to meet demand. There are no limitations.

Regardless, we're talking about what BMW "had to do" in order to match (and beat) the IS 350's performance abilities. If you think that BMW couldn't drop a 3.0 NA, 300 HP straight 6 in the base 3 series, then you're only fooling yourself. Heck, even Ford could do it, if they were so inclined.
M3 is a limited production car as the Z4M. We both know this. They might sell 10,000 worldwide year. MAYBE. Toyota pumps out those 3.5 liter engines at that rate every month probably.
C'mon M3 to a IS 350?

I am not saying BMW could NOT make a 300hp normally aspirated engine but to even say is hypothetical which has no basis here or any serious debate. I can say Lexus can make a 1.0 liter V-6 for 500hp. I can say Ford can make a 2.2 liter V-6 for 450hp. Its all IN OUR HEADS.

Lets talk what has been produced to keep this conversation positive.

Old 09-28-06, 10:23 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I believe we were. IS350, 335i, and M3.
Old 09-28-06, 10:46 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ff_
If you think that BMW couldn't drop a 3.0 NA, 300 HP straight 6 in the base 3 series, then you're only fooling yourself. Heck, even Ford could do it, if they were so inclined.
Uhh, u just typed this like 20 min ago

Old 09-28-06, 10:47 AM
joyriide11
Driver School Candidate

I don't understand the animosity between brands. When it comes to cars, its like a religous war. Cars are cars and technology has been around for a long time. Most car companies can build anything without a budget. The race begins with companys building cars capables of great things on a budget of each car. Praises go to certain companies that invest more into certain elements than others, therefor making a car more capable of "exhibit a" than it is capable of "exhibit b". If BMW wants to build a luxury sedan with butt kissers it can do it, but then it means it has to cut cost on "wheels" for example. Therefor making it a luxury sedan with cheap wheels. The argument then goes to say that the "IS" has better wheels.

I'm sure Nissans, dodges, ect can pump out 300hp from 3.0 engines the same, but I bet you they'd cut cost on some part of the vehicle.

Many people boast Lexus for great reliabilty, but none take to consideration Lexus' recent movement toward "L-finess" and sportiness along with tons of gadgets. Who's to say or know that in a few years lexus' reliabilty will go down, all due to some stupid window mechanism that affected a large portion of cars.

Enjoy your cars, as we can honestly and factually say that Lexus, BMW, Audi, and Mercedes are in the same race for a reason and not in the same race as a dodge, nissan, toyota, ect. They are all exceptionally great cars from great manufacturers, that have come to the point their in not by luck, but by persistance.

WITH ALL FAIRNESS. MY DAD CAN BEAT UP YOUR DAD

Last edited by joyriide11; 09-28-06 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 10:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

M3 is a limited production car as the Z4M. We both know this. They might sell 10,000 worldwide year. MAYBE. Toyota pumps out those 3.5 liter engines at that rate every month probably.
C'mon M3 to a IS 350?

I am not saying BMW could NOT make a 300hp normally aspirated engine but to even say is hypothetical which has no basis here or any serious debate. I can say Lexus can make a 1.0 liter V-6 for 500hp. I can say Ford can make a 2.2 liter V-6 for 450hp. Its all IN OUR HEADS.

Your talking inline 6 vs. V6. Inline 6's have weaker blocks and crankshaft do to their length and are harder breathing than a V6. V6's typically can make more power do to its design. The M3 motor is an amazing marvel. To get 333hp N/A horsepower is quite a feat. The N/A Supra 1jz is 225hp from 3.0 litres. Twin turbos were required to yeild 320hp for the Supra Turbo.
Old 09-28-06, 10:59 AM
LexFather

No animosity, just a nice debate, it gets heated every once in awhile but both brands are respected by members. (I know CL loves BMWs, especially M models)...

Objectively speaking BMW performance> Lexus performance.

Old 09-28-06, 02:04 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

V6 can fit in a smaller amount of space therefore smaller and lighter chassis to contain it.
Old 09-28-06, 02:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Your talking inline 6 vs. V6. Inline 6's have weaker blocks and crankshaft do to their length and are harder breathing than a V6. V6's typically can make more power do to its design. The M3 motor is an amazing marvel. To get 333hp N/A horsepower is quite a feat. The N/A Supra 1jz is 225hp from 3.0 litres. Twin turbos were required to yeild 320hp for the Supra Turbo.
1. I know M3 engine is wonderful, I have not taken anything away from it.
2. I know the differences between V-6 and I-6. We have the Supra TT to compare to the 335 TT.

All I am stating is this 300hp TT from 3 liters has been done 10 years earlier.

I not saying anything bad about anything

Old 09-28-06, 02:37 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Hrm, have these been posted yet? From Vishnu.

Stock and with some fuel tuning.

Full boost control on bottom, then with 11psi across the band and a new exhaust.

54hp and 60tq peak, with a 2psi increase at max, some fuel tuning and an exhaust. He said their dyno typically reads ~5% lower than most. He said he would guess it's running about 380hp at the crank.

I personally like this a lot since Shiv said although the numbers aren't "omg blow you away", it's with only a 2psi increase at WOT and a cheapy exhaust, it's a 15 min xede upgrade. He said more important than the numbers the throttle response in the low end has imporved appreciably, and there is less torque drop off over 5500rpm (still over 300lbs/ft). He also mentioned that MPG has increased. He will be flogging it like this for a week or so (iirc) and testing it against a 996tt.

current thread is here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31578

Last edited by picus; 09-28-06 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 02:38 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
V6 can fit in a smaller amount of space
Can it? I'd think that the V6 would be wider and more bulky than the inline since you have two banks of cylinders/heads/headers, instead of one, arranged in a "V" pattern. It's shorter, yes, but that doesn't mean it takes up less space. Do you think that you could shoehorn the Lexus V6 into a Z3, where the BMW inline 6 fits?
Old 09-28-06, 02:42 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the space issue is kind of a moot point and most enthusiasts participating in this discussion probably wouldn't care. If we really cared about engine space we all would want transverse 60 degree V6 engines
Old 09-28-06, 03:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by picus
Hrm, have these been posted yet? From Vishnu.

Stock and with some fuel tuning.

Full boost control on bottom, then with 11psi across the band and a new exhaust.

54hp and 60tq peak, with a 2psi increase at max, some fuel tuning and an exhaust. He said their dyno typically reads ~5% lower than most. He said he would guess it's running about 380hp at the crank.

I personally like this a lot since Shiv said although the numbers aren't "omg blow you away", it's with only a 2psi increase at WOT and a cheapy exhaust, it's a 15 min xede upgrade. He said more important than the numbers the throttle response in the low end has imporved appreciably, and there is less torque drop off over 5500rpm (still over 300lbs/ft). He also mentioned that MPG has increased. He will be flogging it like this for a week or so (iirc) and testing it against a 996tt.

current thread is here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31578
Yeah I saw that on a couple other forums, that is hot!

Old 09-28-06, 04:13 PM
LexT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 335 ecu reprogram+exhaust

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=606985
Old 09-28-06, 05:38 PM
ksfrogman
Driver School Candidate

That ECU reprogram is pretty awesome. However, I wonder how low the gas mileage will go. Current specs on the 335i are 20 mpg city, 29 mpg hwy.

Quick Reply: BMW 335i Sedan Discussion (merged threads)