Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 335i Sedan Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-06 | 01:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chiawei
1. IS350 Japanese spec is measured based on JIS standard, which is different from SAE Net that US is using. Hence you can't compare its output.

2. Automobile Dyno was on the rear wheel which was measured to be 299HP. Which is significantly higher than what IS350 dynoed by over 10%. I haven't see IS350 dyno over 270 in stock form. Automobile's two dyno run on two different car already shows that BMW significantly under-rate the engine. For 335i to output 299 HP to the wheel, it is actually putting close to 340 and higher.

Those are real number that you can't deny.

335i will probably not significantly faster than IS350 has more to do with the rear differential.

BMW's estimate has always been on the conservative end.
its actually pretty bad if BMW has sooo much more power than IS350, yet doesnt manage to outrun it, isnt it? We would call that bad engineering.

So BMW guys get to decide which it is - does it really make so much more power than IS350, and if it does, why is it so slow?

Or is it possible that dyno runs were not taken properly since I remember seeing dynos less than 280whp... which makes sense... It has more torque, but at the same time, it is spread through less rpm range which is why it ends up being as fast as IS350...

And of course, IS350 doesnt have mechanical LSD either...
Old 09-17-06 | 01:22 PM
LexFather

Wow, with ED that is a great buy. Even at 40k, I think its a great buy considering the performance increase.
Old 09-17-06 | 02:09 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
its actually pretty bad if BMW has sooo much more power than IS350, yet doesnt manage to outrun it, isnt it? We would call that bad engineering.

So BMW guys get to decide which it is - does it really make so much more power than IS350, and if it does, why is it so slow?

Or is it possible that dyno runs were not taken properly since I remember seeing dynos less than 280whp... which makes sense... It has more torque, but at the same time, it is spread through less rpm range which is why it ends up being as fast as IS350...

Have the two cars been put to a test by someone side by side? If so, I have not seen it. You keep saying that the 335 should be faster than the IS - maybe it is, maybe it isn't - let's get a side by side test before we make comments that have no backing.
Old 09-17-06 | 02:13 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
ED comes highly recommended by virtually everybody who tries it.
FWIW, it was one of the best experiences in my life. That is illustrated by the fact that not only am I doing it again, but this time I am *losing*money on it (Canada ED sucks). The experience is well worth the expense. In the US where money is saved it's a no brainer. If anyone has any questions about it shoot me a PM, it really is a killer time.
Old 09-18-06 | 02:27 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the clarification on the ED. I've always heard people talk about it but I never tried it myself. I'm just not sure I want to do all the air travel from Hawaii. The last time I went to Germany it was a 6 hour flight to the LA, another XX hours to the NY, then the flight over the Atlantic. After all the time changes we lost 2 days in transit
Old 09-18-06 | 07:27 AM
LexFather

Egads it weighs more than the IS? The sedan is 3600 lbs. Is the 4000 lbs M3 far away?

Plastic fenders and it weighs 3600lbs. I don't understand sometimes.
Old 09-18-06 | 08:23 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This thing is not going to lose anything resembling a comparison unless they get a loaded one and price becomes and issue.
price will not be an issue.
the 335i will continue to beat the competition in "anything resembling a comparison"

i dont see that changing in the next 5 years. (this product cycle, at least)
the IS350 is almost as quick in a line, loses out on hanlding but makes up for it in refinement AND costs significantly less AND is more reliable AND safer. yet, this isnt enough to at least call it a tie.

the G35 is almost as quick in a line AND on a road course, has more space, about as refined, and while it doesnt feel as nice at the limit, it costs over 20% less AND is more reliable/safer.
yet, this isnt enough either.

given this situation I dont see the 3 series losing any reviews now. theyll hand the 330i an award over the G, despite a $9k price difference, solely based on how the car feels, despite less practicality, less performance, less reliability, etc.

the G and IS are just as good imo so in reality its a question of what the buyer wants... but the media wont say that.
Old 09-18-06 | 09:44 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
price will not be an issue.
the 335i will continue to beat the competition in "anything resembling a comparison"

the IS350 is almost as quick in a line, loses out on hanlding but makes up for it in refinement AND costs significantly less AND is more reliable AND safer. yet, this isnt enough to at least call it a tie.

the G35 is almost as quick in a line AND on a road course, has more space, about as refined, and while it doesnt feel as nice at the limit, it costs over 20% less AND is more reliable/safer.

given this situation I dont see the 3 series losing any reviews now. theyll hand the 330i an award over the G, despite a $9k price difference, solely based on how the car feels, despite less practicality, less performance, less reliability, etc.

the G and IS are just as good imo so in reality its a question of what the buyer wants... but the media wont say that.
What makes the IS350 so refinded? The BMW as just as low interior sound levels. The BMW has a smoother inlince six engine. It handles better, and the 330i has repeatedly shown to ride smoother than the IS350 with sport suspension. And then there is the new auto transmission that is smoother shifting, faster shifting, and blips the throttle on downshifts. It does'nt get any better than that. This is what makes the BMW a winner.

The G35 is a joke. The engine vibrates at 6,500 RPM. I guess if you don't know any better that would be ok. But it's not the stuff winners are made of.
Old 09-18-06 | 10:54 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tekknikal

Where do your "less safe" comments come from? I didn't realize the other cars in the segment were "more safe than the 335" - can you explain?
Old 09-18-06 | 11:11 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doug_999
Where do your "less safe" comments come from? I didn't realize the other cars in the segment were "more safe than the 335" - can you explain?
Agree with you doug. What makes the IS and the G "safer"? For a car at this size, I will put my family in a German car over a Japanese car.

Tekknikal also talked about practicality. Why is the G more "practical"? Only because it has more rear seat space? Let me tell you, the 3 series is the only one among the three that offers fold-down back seat. It must have something to do with the chassis rigidity, which is related to handling and safety.

I don't see the IS cost significantly less than the 3.
Old 09-18-06 | 11:12 AM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Egads it weighs more than the IS? The sedan is 3600 lbs. Is the 4000 lbs M3 far away?

Plastic fenders and it weighs 3600lbs. I don't understand sometimes.
Does Lexus include the weight of the driver in their measurements? BMW does - 170 lbs, to be precise. Aside from the fact that the owner's manual makes mention of this in all countries, all of the European service manuals I have for the E46 quote two curb weights per model - one with the EU-mandated provision for driver and fuel weight, and one without.
Old 09-18-06 | 11:12 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Yea. I dont see where the bmw is less safer than the is350. Both cars should be very safe, at least safer than the majority of the cars out there. At this point, it's safe to say the type of accident is more to be concerned of than the safety of the cars.
Old 09-18-06 | 01:11 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

It's not bad engineering. You can't have 335i outguns M3 all day long.

With quick $3k upgrade, the 335i will out guns M3 easily. Which will not sit well with M3 owners.
Old 09-18-06 | 02:06 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

1, Torque (and HP) is a key factor for acceleration, but not the sole factor. How about the gears and the final drive ratio? I think even when the torque curve starts dipping, the 335i still have more torque than the IS350.

2, 335i doesn't have mechanical LSD too.

3, 335i will outrun IS350. Not by a not, but will still outrun the IS. I am sure without the electronic limiter the 335i will have a higher top speed than the IS, too.
Old 09-18-06 | 04:42 PM
insider
Pole Position

I have driven both and the BMW is signficantly faster than the Lexus. Considering that the Lexus has 6 more HP than the BMW and yet gets worse gas mileage and is slower is indeed bad engineering.

Quick Reply: BMW 335i Sedan Discussion (merged threads)