Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 335i Sedan Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 04:44 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
its actually pretty bad if BMW has sooo much more power than IS350, yet doesnt manage to outrun it, isnt it? We would call that bad engineering.
I would call that grossly oversimplified analysis.
Old 09-18-06, 04:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

look how many times he's been quoted. I think he gets the point. lol.
Old 09-18-06, 05:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by insider
I have driven both and the BMW is signficantly faster than the Lexus. Considering that the Lexus has 6 more HP than the BMW and yet gets worse gas mileage and is slower is indeed bad engineering.
Define significantly faster? Any real world mileage results? Let's wait a year and then see who gets beter mileage.

Quite frankly its still a drivers race and who gets the better jump as the cars are very evenly matched. Lets wait a couple months and see if 335 owners take their cars to the track for timeslips like IS 350 owners have done.

Old 09-18-06, 06:46 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by insider
I have driven both and the BMW is signficantly faster than the Lexus. Considering that the Lexus has 6 more HP than the BMW and yet gets worse gas mileage and is slower is indeed bad engineering.
The IS350 also has 0.5L more displacement as well. What some critics of the BMW 335 engine forget is that it is still a 3.0L inline 6 and not a 3.5L.
Old 09-18-06, 06:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The IS350 also has 0.5L more displacement as well. What some critics of the BMW 335 engine forget is that it is still a 3.0L inline 6 and not a 3.5L.
For anyone to say the IS 350's engine is bad engineering needs to:
1. Get their head examined
2. Get Mr. Bangle from behind them.....

Old 09-18-06, 06:53 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
For anyone to say the IS 350's engine is bad engineering needs to:
2. Get Mr. Bangle from behind them.....

Point me to the thread where someone said the IS engine was bad engineering? I think the only bad engineering comment was made toward the BMW 335 engine. For anyone that says the BMW engine is bad engineering needs to:

2. Keep things real and objective

Okay, I realize the post I quoted implies that, but we all know it was said in jest as a rebutal for the bad BMW engineering comment
Old 09-18-06, 07:00 PM
LexFather

Chris, that wasn't directed at you at all. We butted heads in the past, today, we shall put the guns down and fight anew tomorrow.
lol

Old 09-18-06, 07:10 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Chris, that wasn't directed at you at all. We butted heads in the past, today, we shall put the guns down and fight anew tomorrow.
lol
It's cool. That is why I made sure I had enough smilies I don't think we but heads. We just don't always agree
Old 09-21-06, 09:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chiawei
1. IS350 Japanese spec is measured based on JIS standard, which is different from SAE Net that US is using. Hence you can't compare its output.

2. Automobile Dyno was on the rear wheel which was measured to be 299HP. Which is significantly higher than what IS350 dynoed by over 10%. I haven't see IS350 dyno over 270 in stock form. Automobile's two dyno run on two different car already shows that BMW significantly under-rate the engine. For 335i to output 299 HP to the wheel, it is actually putting close to 340 and higher.

Those are real number that you can't deny.

335i will probably not significantly faster than IS350 has more to do with the rear differential.

BMW's estimate has always been on the conservative end.
This was really only one dyno, and other dynos have hit about 270 - 280 RWHP. Until I see consistent results from multiple dynos, I'm hesistant about believing 299RWHP.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 09-21-06 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-21-06, 09:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Broker404
This car is very underrated from the factory. They couldn't have it competing with the M too much. They claim 300 at the crank. More like 300 at the wheels.
Any proof of that? If in fact it was 300 at the wheels, we are talking about E46 M3 level numbers, slightly higher in fact. If this was the case, the 335i would be faster than test results have shown. And no, you can't use solely gearing as an excuse.
Old 09-21-06, 10:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by akhbhaat
Does Lexus include the weight of the driver in their measurements? BMW does - 170 lbs, to be precise. Aside from the fact that the owner's manual makes mention of this in all countries, all of the European service manuals I have for the E46 quote two curb weights per model - one with the EU-mandated provision for driver and fuel weight, and one without.
This has already been discussed ad-naseum. Firstly, who cares what BMW lists for European service manuals? Fact is, curb weight is a standard definition, which is NOT supposed to include the weight of the driver. Maybe the definition is interpreted differently in Europe, but here in North America, curb weight does NOT include the weight of the driver.

Similarly, unladen weight, by definition, does NOT include the driver.

So yes, even though this may be tough for some people, namely BMW enthusiasnts to swallow, apples-to-apples, the 335i sedan is heavier than the IS350 by almost 100 pounds.
Old 09-21-06, 10:24 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chiawei
It's not bad engineering. You can't have 335i outguns M3 all day long.

With quick $3k upgrade, the 335i will out guns M3 easily. Which will not sit well with M3 owners.
You and others say that 335i cannot come too close with M3. You also say that you seem confident the 335i is very underrated, with some of you saying that it actually makes 340 crank HP. If that was in fact the case, it would be matching E46 M3 performance numbers, but it's not.

Fact is, if 335i was actually making 340 crank HP, it would be faster than it currently is. Gearing alone would not account for such low performance if crank HP was 340. Only thing I can think of that could account for this would be significant traction problems, which nobody has heard about, so likely, it is not the case.
Old 09-21-06, 10:27 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
1, Torque (and HP) is a key factor for acceleration, but not the sole factor. How about the gears and the final drive ratio? I think even when the torque curve starts dipping, the 335i still have more torque than the IS350.

2, 335i doesn't have mechanical LSD too.

3, 335i will outrun IS350. Not by a not, but will still outrun the IS. I am sure without the electronic limiter the 335i will have a higher top speed than the IS, too.

335i is heavier than IS350, even though it has more powerful engine. Some IS350 owners are already running low 13s 1/4 mile with extremely minor mods, so the IS350 has already shown potential to be faster, just like many are excited about 335i's potential.
Old 09-21-06, 10:28 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

the thing ppl forget is that bmw engineering is great but they push it to the point the engine isnt reliable... how many m3's do you know have blown engines and the new fiasco with somebodies 335 coupe. im more impressed with honda engineering at this moment. the rdx's numbers in general are more impressive than the rav4's v6 numbers.
Old 09-21-06, 11:32 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by r4z0r3ck
the thing ppl forget is that bmw engineering is great but they push it to the point the engine isnt reliable... how many m3's do you know have blown engines and the new fiasco with somebodies 335 coupe. im more impressed with honda engineering at this moment. the rdx's numbers in general are more impressive than the rav4's v6 numbers.
The RDX does have impressive numbers, but fuel economy suffers as a result. For the power the RDX makes, fuel economy is not that great at all.

Quick Reply: BMW 335i Sedan Discussion (merged threads)