Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 335i Sedan Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-06, 03:18 PM
LexFather

Got damn, its going to be like the G35 didn't even come out! They got to hate the fact the 335 comes out the same time as the G35.

THe press is going to (deservingly) hump this car to victory till we are blue in the face!
1. 335
2. G35
3. IS 350

then everyone else...

Old 09-25-06, 03:22 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thing I pulled the trigger on my IS350 instead of the 335i.
Old 09-25-06, 03:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

C&D also got a TT Supra to do 0-60 in 4.6 seconds in 1993. This feat was never replicated in the next 5 model years by C&D or any other magazine. C&D also got that car to run a 13.1 quarter mile at 109, another feat never again accomplished by another magazine (or owner) with a bone stock car.

BTW, if you try a few of the drag race calculators, you'll quickly discover the claimed 320 crank hp had to be getting to the rear wheels with only about a 1% loss...but manufacturers never send the magazine guys a ringer, do they?
Old 09-25-06, 03:46 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
After following that topic and the various spin offs on the BMW forums it doesn't seem to be a problem. The problem he had is probably isolated. Even at the oil temps he was reporting it was within the specified opporating temps. Either way, it is something to look out for and follow, but probably nothing widespread.
+1.

Maybe someone should merge these threads?
Old 09-25-06, 03:48 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Got damn, its going to be like the G35 didn't even come out! They got to hate the fact the 335 comes out the same time as the G35.

THe press is going to (deservingly) hump this car to victory till we are blue in the face!
1. 335
2. G35
3. IS 350

then everyone else...
I've been thinking the same thing whenever I read about the new G. As good a car as I am *sure* it will be, and as inexpensive (relatively) it will be, it's going to be compared to the IS350 and 335i, which isn't good for it.

I personally think the 335i should be compared up the price ladder to cars like the S4, rather than down to cars like the G35 (and have the G compare with the more comparably priced 328), but we know no mags will do that.

Oh, btw you might want to merge these.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=1#post2144693
Old 09-25-06, 04:57 PM
lexem
Pole Position

maybe BMW threads needs to be moved to CAR CHAT
Old 09-25-06, 05:02 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

This is turning out to be an isolated issue and we have to remember that all car manufacturers make mistakes even BMW and Lexus.
Old 09-25-06, 05:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

only question here is where the heck is my zinio CD! grrr.

And yes, all manufacturers have their issues, some more, some less.... IS350 didnt have any engine issues, did it now? thats called technology leadership.

:-)
Old 09-25-06, 05:08 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
only question here is where the heck is my zinio CD! grrr.

And yes, all manufacturers have their issues, some more, some less.... IS350 didnt have any engine issues, did it now? thats called technology leadership.

:-)
Its called using a less complicated and larger motor. Have you heard about the transmission failures going on with the ES and the Camrys?
Old 09-25-06, 05:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
After following that topic and the various spin offs on the BMW forums it doesn't seem to be a problem. The problem he had is probably isolated. Even at the oil temps he was reporting it was within the specified opporating temps. Either way, it is something to look out for and follow, but probably nothing widespread.
he was racing it on track, so definetly not something normal joe does... so basically his turbo's got heatsoaked after 5 laps on track to the point of car didnt want to go any further...

they should have an sticker on it - dont drive it on track! But wait... its main advantage is sporty ride and all the BMW's are born or track? Or so the story goes...
Old 09-25-06, 05:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mavericck
Its called using a less complicated and larger motor. Have you heard about the transmission failures going on with the ES and the Camrys?
ES? hardly... Camry is not an Lexus... all of that has nothing with IS350 and its state of the art NATURALLY aspirated engine...

Good luck with car that can do 5 laps at the track... in OCTOBER.
Old 09-25-06, 05:20 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

ES? hardly... Camry is not an Lexus... all of that has nothing with IS350 and its state of the art NATURALLY aspirated engine...

Good luck with car that can do 5 laps at the track... in OCTOBER.
You do realize that the ES is a fancy Camry with a Lexus badge right? They share the same power-train (that includes the crappy transmission) and chassis.

About comparing the IS350 engine against the 335i engine technologically speaking, the twin-turbo I-6 in the BMW is arguably more technologically advanced (you brought the technological debate up) than the larger capacity 3.5 liter V6 in the IS. Especially from an engineering point of view. Now am I saying that the IS350 engine is not high tech? No, I am not. I am simply saying the 335i engine is more so.

and like I said, this incident is not a common occurence so I wouldnt worry about the car being on a track....especially since it was developed on the Ring (which is a track).
Old 09-25-06, 05:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mavericck
You do realize that the ES is a fancy Camry with a Lexus badge right? They share the same power-train (that includes the crappy transmission) and chassis.

About comparing the IS350 engine against the 335i engine technologically speaking, the twin-turbo I-6 in the BMW is arguably more technologically advanced (you brought the technological debate up) than the larger capacity 3.5 liter V6 in the IS. Especially from an engineering point of view. Now am I saying that the IS350 engine is not high tech? No, I am not. I am simply saying the 335i engine is more so.

and like I said, this incident is not a common occurence so I wouldnt worry about the car being on a track....especially since it was developed on the Ring (which is a track).
no its not... BMW had to use turbo's to achive IS350 performance... thats not high technology. Using dual injection technology is world first and is technologically more advanced than using dual turbo's. It is hard to argue when you have naturally aspirated engine with same results as twin turbo engine...

And it shows - cars cant run more than 5 laps on the track. Why is it not "common"? They had fleet of 335i's and all of them did it...

I guess its fine, if you didnt market it as sports sedan...
Old 09-25-06, 05:32 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

he was racing it on track, so definetly not something normal joe does... so basically his turbo's got heatsoaked after 5 laps on track to the point of car didnt want to go any further...

they should have an sticker on it - dont drive it on track! But wait... its main advantage is sporty ride and all the BMW's are born or track? Or so the story goes...
Oh come on... we don't even know for sure it overheated. Also, many 335i owners and testers have hot lapped these cars with no issues. My first drive in one was on a hot lap circuit (1:20 min track, all heavy throttle in high gears; car was running all day, probably over 100 laps), and the needle never went over 250F. I agree this report is disconcerting. You'll see that I posted in the original AW thread trying to get more answers. I will be lapping my car on Nuremburgring on the 20th of October, the last thing I want is for it to overheat. Before we just condem the car we need more info - clearly the OP at AW was wrong about all nine cars overheating (so why did he say it?), so maybe they're all wrong about it overheating at all, and it was just an ABS problem.

The cars run hot, it definitely could be an issue, but until it's confirmed I think jumping on that bandwagon is a little premature.
Old 09-25-06, 05:35 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

no its not... BMW had to use turbo's to achive IS350 performance... thats not high technology. Using dual injection technology is world first and is technologically more advanced than using dual turbo's. It is hard to argue when you have naturally aspirated engine with same results as twin turbo engine...

And it shows - cars cant run more than 5 laps on the track. Why is it not "common"? They had fleet of 335i's and all of them did it...

I guess its fine, if you didnt market it as sports sedan...
You should keep up with the actual thread before you go on your little tirade. The OP was either lying or wrong, *one* of the nine cars shut down, and no one can confirm it actually overheated. I've hot lapped a 33i personally for way more than 5 laps without an issue, I am not saying that this isn't a possibilty, it clearly is as the car runs hot and doesn't have an oil cooler - I am saying that the report of nine cars all overheating is false, and we can not even confirm why the one car that did stop running did at all.

As for which engine is more advanced; BMW has had engines over 300hp for something like 12 years now. It isn't like they can't produce an NA engine with high output, they just don't want to go the "more displacement for more power" route, obviously.

Quick Reply: BMW 335i Sedan Discussion (merged threads)