Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California bans holding cell phones when driving.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy
It's a shame they didn't ban all cell phone usage by drivers in vehicles while the ignition is on.

And the fines should be impressive... $1000 plus on the first offense.
so what's next? all drivers are banned from talking to any of the passengers? i don't see talking on the cell phone as a problem, people talk, sing, listen to radio when driving. but holding the cell phone that takes away a bit part of your response systems

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I was just driving to school today and this cop in his police cruiser was weaving in and out of lanes, no turn signal, babbling on his cell phone. Some role model
saw something similar the other day as well. not light, no turn signals, no speed limit. got on freeway and the chp just went weaving in and out of traffic.

cops and chp would be amon the last groups of people i teach my kids to learn from
Old 09-19-06, 09:22 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're going to impose something like this, at least impose a substantial fine that would deter driver's from using their phone for fear of hurting their pocket book. Not this 20 crap. i think they had to lower it due to fears that the bill wouldnt get passed.
Old 09-19-06, 03:49 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant stand seeing someone dipsh_t lazily weaving from lane to lane w/o looking or just driving badly in general...all while talking about probably nothing on a cell phone. It is a serious danger IMO, I cant believe some of the responses in this thread to the contrary. I've had more than one person, usually female, tell me that they have a much harder time chatting on the phone and driving at the same time. Come on people, bluetooth headsets are like $30 now... either spring for one, or HANG UP AND DRIVE before you kill someone that actually has some sense .