Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My E39 M5 experience.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-06, 06:26 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My E39 M5 experience.....

sorry for my tardiness. this week has been busy as hell at the office so i have neglected giving you guys the run down. so here goes.....

pick the car up early wednesday morning. get the keys and im off to work. the first thing that i notice is a nice size burn mark in the center arm rest (strike 1). i mean it burned through the black plastic and was showing white underneath. not a good look. 2nd, noticed that the radio didnt work (strike 2). the electronics which are housed in the trunk are being replaced (no nav either) i called the dealer from the car and told him about all of this and he mentions that the car still has some prep work to be done on it and isnt really ready to be sold yet. he assures me that it will be pristine by the time i pick it up. oh well, how does it drive????

traffic in austin is really a beast, so i only got a few chances to open it up. but damn......she is a beast. the power is just so instantaneous. and it never really seems to stop. i was doing my best 1sicklex impression but decided to cool it until lunch. didnt want to wad up their M.

lunch time comes and i head out to the lake. the hills around the lake (lime creek rd) are some of the best driving roads that i have ever been on. i always take the G out there to relieve some stress. let me say that this car is stable as a rock. there were times when i just knew i over-cooked the corner and it just turned as if to say "is that all you got". so i pushed harder. and harder. being the middle of the day on a work week, the roads were damn near empty. dive into the corner, down shift to 2nd, power out. OMG!!!!! i rolled all of the windows down so i could take in every sound. there was nothing else to listen to, right??? and the sounds. oh man. for my money, you just cant beat the sound of a V8. and like i said, the power just keeps coming (no homo ). you never really get the chance to get outta 3rd gear at the lake, but on one long downhill, i touched 105 before i lost my cool.

now by no means am i the greatest driver, but this car never felt like i was outta control. its big, but it doesnt feel it. my modded GS handled well, but it always felt its size. like a lineman in ballerina shoes. not this car. the shifter was a little sloppy (ball 1, but just missed the corner). i now understand what they say about communicative steering. its hard to explain, but you just feel connected with the front tires. it sounds like a cliche and i have always been skeptical of it, but i swear i felt it. the car just lets you know exactly whats happening. on long sweepers you could instantly feel the need to put alittle more "wheel" to it b/c the fronts where overwhelmed. and of course, coming outta the tighter corners, i made sure that some over-steer was coming i felt like i shoulda been wearing driving gloves.

so i get back to the office with the biggest smile on my face. i keep glancing out the window thinking "this might be my new fix". you wanna talk about not being focused. i just kept looking at the clock, waiting to spend some more time with my new "boo". 6 o'clock comes and im out like fred flintstone. the manager of the radio station below me is outside checking out the car. he has an E39 540. we talk shop and he shows me a few things. there are bubbles on the hood and its not quite lined up right (strike 3, go sit down). in the back part of the right rear fender, there is a tear (tossed out of the game for arguing with the ump). and the tips on the right side of the exhaust are bent under a bit. it looks as if the exhaust has been pushed under the car and torn through the wheel well (suspended for a year for steroid use). he also talks to me about the "finer" points of bimmer ownership (Doc Gooden). talk about a downer. in essence, the car is a fixer. there seems to be a ton wrong with it. other than the drivetrain. damn it....

i take it back to the dealer and ask if the car has ever been wrecked. i couldve sworn i asked him this previously. he tells me that he "doesnt know" but it has a clean title. wtf???? maybe its just me, but shouldnt you know if a car that you are selling has been wrecked. i told him that i would think about it and gave him the keys. i gave her one last look and got back into the G35. i was very disappointed. its kinda like the halle berry syndrome. everything seems so perfect, but you just know its not gonna work. that yak crazy.

the search continues....

Last edited by DrRick; 09-17-06 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-17-06, 06:33 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the E39 M5 is the right car for you, just not THAT M5 from THAT dealer. Good luck on your quest!
Old 09-17-06, 06:39 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What he said.
Old 09-17-06, 07:18 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Overclocker
Sounds like the E39 M5 is the right car for you, just not THAT M5 from THAT dealer. Good luck on your quest!
I couldn't have said it better. Just keep looking DrRick, for a clean M5.
Old 09-17-06, 07:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,455 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I'm glad you got to feel what good steering and balanced handling is like.

Lexus still isn't interested in offering it yet.
Old 09-17-06, 07:56 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I'm glad you got to feel what good steering and balanced handling is like.

Lexus still isn't interested in offering it yet.
yeah Bit, its not even a competition. you are definitely more involved in the "experience".
Old 09-17-06, 08:37 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bimmers are so much fun to drive especially the M series. Try the Caddy CTS-V and you will have a big grin. V8 noises, 6 speed? Ohhh this car has it and more
Old 09-17-06, 09:15 AM
LexFather

Great write up Doc! If you have patience with woman, you can own this car! if not, you may end up shooting up your own whip..lol

Old 09-17-06, 12:23 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Enjoyed reading that.

Good luck with the search.
Old 09-17-06, 12:52 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us posted Doc!!
Old 09-17-06, 02:40 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't make you feel any better, but ... you did the right thing.
Old 09-17-06, 10:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i most definitely would NOT get this particular car, but i guess your driving experience really show what kind of car the m5 is

just look for another m5, that's all i can say
Old 09-18-06, 04:05 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I always want a M5 too, after reading the driving impression, I want it even more.. it is just the reliability is holding me back...
are there really a lot of problem with M5s???
Old 09-18-06, 04:32 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys ever read Sports Car magazine where in the back they do a wrie up of a used sports car? I read their review of the E39 M5. After that, an M5 won't ever be on my radar. They just have too many issues and are incredibly expensive to maintain/repair. Enjoying the ride is one thing. Getting to enjoy the ride is another.
Great write up. Makes any enthusiast want to drive one. If you must, keep looking for one with a very good warranty.
Old 09-18-06, 10:02 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
You guys ever read Sports Car magazine where in the back they do a wrie up of a used sports car? I read their review of the E39 M5. After that, an M5 won't ever be on my radar. They just have too many issues and are incredibly expensive to maintain/repair. Enjoying the ride is one thing. Getting to enjoy the ride is another.
Great write up. Makes any enthusiast want to drive one. If you must, keep looking for one with a very good warranty.
I had some issue with my E39 M5. But all were minor and replaced under warranty. With any M car, you simply don't keep it past warranty.

My E60 M5 also has been quiet reliable thus far, despite being the 1st batch for US.

Quick Reply: My E39 M5 experience.....