Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota may look to outside supplier for diesels

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 04:22 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Toyota may look to outside supplier for diesels

Posted Sep 18th 2006 4:22PM by Randall Halcomb

In its 50-year history in the US, Toyota has never sourced an engine for its vehicles from an outside supplier. There is a possibility that this may change if Toyota decides to put a diesel in its new Tundra full-size pickup truck. While we think it's more likely for Toyota to leverage its Hino commercial truck division, it could decide to pick from many of the U.S. diesel engine manufacturers that are developing smaller displacement diesels for Ford, GM, and Dodge. Nissan is also courting a U.S. manufacturer to supply a V8 diesel for its Titan pickup (although Nissan also has it's own diesel manufacturing capability). No one seems to be mentioning Isuzu as a possible supplier, as it has extensive experience with diesels, both large and small (it is currently suppling the DuraMax diesel used by GM).

Regardless, Toyota sees through its cloud of hybrid hype to realize that truck buyers may actually want an oil-burning engine, perhaps more so than a pack of batteries and an electric motor. The domestics have finally gotten the hint that if they're going to continue to sell full-size trucks, they need to team up their body-on-frame bread-and-butter with a high-tech low displacement diesel to get all the fuel economy they can. Now Toyota is looking to go down that path, and it will be interesting to see whether it chooses to develop an engine in-house or go outside to another supplier.

[The engine pictured is Hino's J05D-TA four cylinder diesel. It will likely not be used in the new Tundra.]

[Source: Automotive News]
source : autoblog
Old 09-18-06, 04:48 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, they're not gonna put some wimpy 4-cyl diesel in there. It's gotta be able to run with the big boys that are cranking out 350hp/650tq, or not run at all. The domestics might have exclusive agreements on some of their diesels, or at least priority on supplies so there might be logistical issues to Toyota breaking into the diesel p/u market also.
Old 09-18-06, 04:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

i wish we read actual automotivenews article, not just bad journalism from autoblog who took the headline and wrote their stuff around it.

Toyota already makes most powerful 4cly passanger diesel and torquiest 4cly truck diesel... they also make first diesel hybrid... and the cleanest diesel in the world.

Additionally, they have V6 diesel for Land Cruiser for 8 years now, so i very much doubt that they couldnt make one for Tundra...
Old 09-18-06, 07:25 PM
xioix
Racer

Toyota has gone to Yamaha for engines before it bought shares in it
Old 09-19-06, 03:07 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they have a 4 liter diesel engine over here for the landcruiser.
Old 09-19-06, 06:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

A sales rep friend at Toyota down here told me a lot of people ask him about a diesel truck (diesel is extremely common down here and you can get it at just about any gas station), but I think there might be some environment reasons for this.
Old 09-19-06, 12:19 PM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xioix
Toyota has gone to Yamaha for engines before it bought shares in it
My exact thoughts also. Both the 3S and (i think also) the 2JZ was heavily breathed upon by Yamaha
Old 09-19-06, 01:06 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

They should get Audi's V12 TDI.
Old 09-20-06, 05:33 AM
bigdaddyrobb
Pole Position

Originally Posted by @lpher
My exact thoughts also. Both the 3S and (i think also) the 2JZ was heavily breathed upon by Yamaha
On the 1jz it even says yamaha on the cam gear cover