Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drove the all new LS460 today...lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 09:51 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
BMW focuses on class and luxury, not sport???

Intersting.

How stupid of me to think BMW emphasizes sportiness.

Do you really believe this?
You're right, the 7series is the pinnacle of their sport technology
Old 09-21-06, 10:11 AM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review. The comfort features seem pretty impressive.
Old 09-21-06, 11:51 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
You're right, the 7series is the pinnacle of their sport technology
Never said that.
I understand the 7 series is not intended to be the "sports car" of BMW, however the 7 purpously has a stronger blend of sport than most other offerings in the high end luxury market.

The 7 will never give you the soft luxurious ride of the LS or S because
it is a BMW focused on great handling. It's certainly not as harsh as an M3 but still firm for a large luxury sedan.

With that, I still say even a base 7 should have a nice dual, chrome exhaust setup. Hell, even the Hyundai Sonata has a better setup than the 7 and S pictured.

Old 09-21-06, 12:48 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

The 7 series doesn't have a stronger blend of sport. You only think that because it's a BMW. Now if you were talking about an S55...

The 7er is not harsh at all. You've just been ridin' Lexus too long
Old 09-21-06, 01:07 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the LS 460 tailpipes are a nice mix of modern sporty look and sculpted luxury, the chrome gives it away
Old 09-21-06, 01:11 PM
LexFather

Here we go about the styling.What stikes me the most is how much lower the LS looks from the rear. You can see that the bumper is as low as the bottom 1/4 of the tire. You can see the 7 and see the bumper stops 1/2 though the tire. That is a big difference. Also the 7 exhaust it completely tucked. The LS exhaust is a strong part of the rear design. I believe the exhaust is also tucked on the S-class. Traditionally, Germans have always tucked their rear exhaust, only recently have they followed the trend of showing their exhaust.

I will say the actual TRUNCK, the part where the license plate goes, does all look quite similar. All 3 have a chrome bar above the plate.

As for tailights, they look nothing alike. The S is cut at the trunk line. The 7 and LS are almost reverse, look at where the clear lens is on either car. The 7 cuts the clear lense on the trunk, it completes on the LS trunk.

You can clearly see the 7 "backpack". With the LS, you can kind of see the blend but its nowhere near as obvious. The S has more of a backpack than the LS but with the dark color it is harder to see.

Seems the emblems on the LS and S maybe placed around the same general area.

All 3 have fins (and I hate all 3 fins, these are cars not fish)

Looking at C-pillars, the S has the usual Benz tradition of a sloping Pillar. BMW has its "Hoffmiester" kink. The LS has ALWAYS had a mini hoffmiester kink, from the original LS of 1989. This car continues that. If you look at the chroms on the LS its rounded on the window and sharp at the edges. Lexus designers purposely did that to create 'tension" in the lines. It clearly does give the car a different chrome wraparound, around the windows and grill. (personally I am not a big fan of it).

You can see the LS lower chrome strip as well.

Not sure how the 3 cars really look alike, similar in some areas, yes. Copies of one another? No.

Old 09-21-06, 01:12 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

After a second close look. I'm not really digging the chrome trim on the LS. It just seems like it's trying too hard to be flashy, especially in the corners where the chrome gets a little bigger and wider in the rear door window area.
Old 09-21-06, 01:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Now moving on to the LS460L...same rear end...

Right Rear Seat Area....relaxing in style for sure...

All of your controls at your finger tips when you relax in the rear....*Note* You can adjust the seat in front of you when seated in the right rear position.

Suede like headliner with dual air zones that accomdate each passenger to the desired temperature, adjusting accordingly to the occupants body temp...

Now onto the test drive...one in Blue Onyx I believe...

The course...turning radius test in the beginning(which the LS dominated in), accleration test(Got it up to 75mph before hitting the brakes), then braking(Felt really good btw), then the VDIM corner test(Actually works), then the slalom.

The LS with its competitors...the new S550 and 750i

Driving Impressions:

LS460 - Quicker than the previous LS for sure...felt nimble for its size, great brakes. It had the luxury ride but not quite the sportiness feel when driven on this course. Acceleration was very smooth and linear. Steering was responsive a la EPS...

S550 Benz - Although the LS460 is quicker on paper, this vehicle felt a lot more powerful...great engine and exhaust note. Also had stellar brakes. Handling was a bit more solid than the LS. Interior layout is by far the best in any S-Class ever offered. Dissapointed in the intergrated "I-Drive" style feature. Reminded me of the 7 Series...So many buttons everywhere and had a hard time figuring out where all of the adjustsments were. Other than that, this S-Class is by far the best S...

750i - The best handling vehicle of the bunch in my opinion. It took the turns and corners easily and was very much in control. It was a little weak in the power department but the handling offsets it. Downside? iDrive still present...

Verdict:
Without a doubt, if I would take any 1 of these vehicles home, I would be happy. All 3 had luxury appointed leather seating,cabin space, gadgets and gizmos. However, if you're looking for the best bang for your buck, then the LS460 would be a good choice because of what it has to offer. It has a bevy of features that are easy to utilize and understand. Aside from the performance testing, I Think that's where the new LS really shines. Great day overall Beats a day in the office!
So u can see what I am talking about.

Old 09-21-06, 01:45 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I wonder what it's like to sit there with those condensers acting above your head...
Old 09-21-06, 02:06 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma888
I wonder what it's like to sit there with those condensers acting above your head...
What's that?
Old 09-21-06, 02:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

In this pic:

There are those 2 ceiling A/C condensors...also the infrared body temp sensors measuring your face, body, legs, back of seat...
Old 09-21-06, 02:29 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma888
In this pic:

There are those 2 ceiling A/C condensors...also the infrared body temp sensors measuring your face, body, legs, back of seat...
Oh those things.
Old 09-21-06, 02:44 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the pictures and the write-ups.

I plan to do a full review on the new LS460 but you have already given us some good info here. What did you think of the ride on the new car?...that was a very strong point on the old one. I especially want to see what the ride is like with the new suspension and the 45-series tires. They really messed up the former ES330's smooth ride this year with the new ES350's firmer suspension and tires ...hope they didn't do the same with the new LS, but that 45-series rubber doesn't look encouraging.
To be honest with you,
I didn't really didn't have a feel for the nice ride. I was just bent on the increased power, which satisfied me already.

I did notice that the previous ES(330) felt a lot more solid in terms of ride quality. The new ES350 feels lighter despite its bigger dimensions.

The 04-06 LS430's ride real nice....and come to think of it, the new 460 may not be as supple....I'll have to wait and see once the new 460's are allocated to our dealer....
Old 09-21-06, 02:46 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the review.
Old 09-21-06, 02:49 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Yeah I hope they don't mess with the Lexus smooth ride...or at least offer sport/luxury settings or something.

Quick Reply: Drove the all new LS460 today...lots of pics