Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drove the all new LS460 today...lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 03:10 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So u can see what I am talking about.
**** bang for buck. If you had the money which car would you choose.
Old 09-21-06, 03:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That some of you think the LS "copied" the 7 Series is quite funny ... this is just as funny as saying 5 Series copied Toyota by using stretched headlights.

The LS is much lower, and has a more substantial rear compared to the 7 ... it also has wrap-around taillights.

The only similarity that the 7 and LS have is the overall profile of the car, but that is because both are modern designs, and they are simply using modern design cues.
Old 09-22-06, 12:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
In this pic:

There are those 2 ceiling A/C condensors...also the infrared body temp sensors measuring your face, body, legs, back of seat...
oh so that thing is the condensors? i have always wondered what that is...

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That some of you think the LS "copied" the 7 Series is quite funny ... this is just as funny as saying 5 Series copied Toyota by using stretched headlights.

The LS is much lower, and has a more substantial rear compared to the 7 ... it also has wrap-around taillights.

The only similarity that the 7 and LS have is the overall profile of the car, but that is because both are modern designs, and they are simply using modern design cues.
and if i really have to guess i wold say the trunk lid is another thing that makes people think the cars look alike? dunno, to me the cars look very different, i am just tyring to think from other people's perspectives
Old 09-22-06, 08:53 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl

and if i really have to guess i wold say the trunk lid is another thing that makes people think the cars look alike? dunno, to me the cars look very different, i am just tyring to think from other people's perspectives
I can see how some people might think that, but then that theory gets shot down because Toyota cars for years have had that type of trunk, going all the way back to the 1st gen Echo sedan in fact, which was released before the current 7 Series.
Old 09-22-06, 08:59 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Best aspect of this car is the rear. Not that the rear is spectacular or anything - but compared to the rear end of the S class or 7 series, it's much better.

I just don't like the rear end of the S class or 7 series. Those are bad "asses", and I don't mean that in a good way
Old 09-22-06, 09:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I can see how some people might think that, but then that theory gets shot down because Toyota cars for years have had that type of trunk, going all the way back to the 1st gen Echo sedan in fact, which was released before the current 7 Series.
yeah i know what you mean, probably coz' the size of echo was too small for people to relate the two?

i don't know, i can only imagine
Old 09-22-06, 10:03 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rogers2
**** bang for buck. If you had the money which car would you choose.
Easy the LS. FOR ME, that would be the best choice.
1. I find the 7 to just be one ugly car.
2. I like the S styling better but those wheelarches got to go.
3. Both interiors are basically identical and both make me scratch my head. I find the 7 interior better than the newer 6.
4. I wouldn't track or race either car so I don't care about what you are anyone else SAYS about sport. These are 2-3 ton CARS, not Lotus Elises....
5. Quality and reliability. I am positive all 3 are built like tanks, however I know the LS will actually work, i.e quality.
6. The S speaks SUPER executive to me. I am not. The 7 speaks either MTV/RAP City or blind. I don't watch either, nor am I blind. The LS speaks subdued elegance, which is more me. But even I think the LS says too much "executive" for me.

It would be a HARDER choice for me to chose the PREVIOUS S to the new LS.

Again, thats just me. Clearly all 3 will sell. I would pick the LS.

I also would not buy neither of the 3. Too big and too much IMAGE.

Old 09-22-06, 10:21 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

1sicklex - Go drive a Corolla.
Old 09-22-06, 10:41 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah i know what you mean, probably coz' the size of echo was too small for people to relate the two?

i don't know, i can only imagine
So much hype has been made about BMW's "Bangle Butt", when in fact, Bangle never came up with the controversial design, as cars like the Echo sedan and Chrysler Cirrus/Dodge Stratus had this same kind of rear end years before the current 7 Series came out.

And to think, Toyota, and other automakers are continually criticized for "copying" the "Bangle Butt".

It's hilarious though how the media all buys into the "Bangle Butt" hype, and nobody dares to actually do any research deeper into it
Old 09-22-06, 11:24 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

The thing with the "Bangle Butt" is not that he necessarily came up with the idea. It's the fact that he was the first to have the audacity to put such a design on very expensive, luxury vehicles that had a successful history.

It could have been on pieces of crap like the Echo and Stratus, but no on cared. These cars weren't at al that important to the auto industry, or even their manufacturers for that matter.
Old 09-22-06, 11:48 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
The thing with the "Bangle Butt" is not that he necessarily came up with the idea. It's the fact that he was the first to have the audacity to put such a design on very expensive, luxury vehicles that had a successful history.

It could have been on pieces of crap like the Echo and Stratus, but no on cared. These cars weren't at al that important to the auto industry, or even their manufacturers for that matter.
No, the fact is that BMW (and Bangle) had the arrogance to heavily market their new "design theme", and as a result, the 7 Series got controversial due to it's styling, and the media simply started referring to it as the "Bangle Butt". It has nothing to do with luxury cars in general, but everything to do with the controversy that surrounded BMW's new styling direction, after all the hoopla the company made when they hired Bangle.

The ironic thing is that the 7 Series caused controversy primarily due to it's droopy headlights, and it's strange taillights, not because of it's trunklid.

The media in particular yields the belief that Bangle in fact came up with the "Bangle Butt", and a lot of ignorant enthusiasts also hold the same belief. This of course is simply not true.
Old 09-22-06, 12:07 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

No, the fact is that BMW (and Bangle) had the arrogance to heavily market their new "design theme", and as a result, the 7 Series got controversial due to it's styling, and the media simply started referring to it as the "Bangle Butt". It has nothing to do with luxury cars in general, but everything to do with the controversy that surrounded BMW's new styling direction, after all the hoopla the company made when they hired Bangle.
It has everything to do with the fact that it was on an expensive, flagship luxury car like the 7 series.

Toyota and Dodge could have made all kinds of hoopla about the "butt" of the Echo on the Stratus. No one would have given a crap, no matter how much it was "heavily marketed".

If Toyota had first put such a butt on the LS, you can be sure that people would have called it the "LS butt" or the "Lexus butt" from then on. Why? Because the LS is a successful, luxury flagship of a company. Put it on a piece of crap like the Echo, and no one gives.

Last edited by jrock65; 09-22-06 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-22-06, 12:22 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Anyways, I already see that we're never going to agree on this, so let's just say that I stick to my opinion, and you stick to your opinion, and leave it at that.

----------------------------

Getting back to the original post, the original poster thought that the 750i was a "little weak in the power department". I'm surprised by this, since no one had really complained about the power in the 4.8L 360hp BMW V8 before.

The 750i has been clocked at 5.4s 0-60 and 13.9s @ 103 mph, which is pretty fast.

Last edited by jrock65; 09-22-06 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-22-06, 12:26 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

The engine might be fantastic, but it's about delivery.

When you take a LS430 and floor it, once you pass around 4000 rpms you can hear a high pitched snarl come out even though the car has mutliple resonators. That screams speed.

The 750Li does it so often, and it's much lower pitched that it becomes everyday.

My X5 (granted, it's not the 4.8is but the 4.4i) when we first got it I thought it was god's own car. The V8 was massively loud (compared to my first car, a LS400) and on WOT it just sounded like it needed to run straight headers for most power!

After owning that car for a year though and moving to a SL500, the X5 was so much more tame in comparsion and the SL on WOT sounds so much sweeter.
I'm afraid of what I need to do next, to make sure I don't break my (and dads) bank I might end up getting a use (omg i'm gay) M3 (homocar!) with kressieg exhaust (gosh m3's are gay).
Old 09-22-06, 01:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
It has everything to do with the fact that it was on an expensive, flagship luxury car like the 7 series.

Toyota and Dodge could have made all kinds of hoopla about the "butt" of the Echo on the Stratus. No one would have given a crap, no matter how much it was "heavily marketed".

If Toyota had first put such a butt on the LS, you can be sure that people would have called it the "LS butt" or the "Lexus butt" from then on. Why? Because the LS is a successful, luxury flagship of a company. Put it on a piece of crap like the Echo, and no one gives.
Fair enough ... just one final thing to add. Regardless of why BMW got all the controversy and credit for the "Bangle Butt", fact is that Toyota did not copy BMW at all, but of course nobody seems to care about that.

Quick Reply: Drove the all new LS460 today...lots of pics