Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drove the all new LS460 today...lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 05:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
So much hype has been made about BMW's "Bangle Butt", when in fact, Bangle never came up with the controversial design, as cars like the Echo sedan and Chrysler Cirrus/Dodge Stratus had this same kind of rear end years before the current 7 Series came out.
You've got to be kidding. The Echo's 'rear' looks NOTHING like a 7 series.

Of course it would also be easy to overlook the "innovative design significance" of the Toyota Echo because it sold like bubonic plague.

Here's the skankmobile for reference:
Attached Thumbnails Drove the all new LS460 today...lots of pics-toyota_echo.jpg  
Old 09-22-06, 05:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
No, the fact is that BMW (and Bangle) had the arrogance to heavily market their new "design theme", and as a result, the 7 Series got controversial due to it's styling, and the media simply started referring to it as the "Bangle Butt". It has nothing to do with luxury cars in general, but everything to do with the controversy that surrounded BMW's new styling direction, after all the hoopla the company made when they hired Bangle.
So all the media is wrong and you're right. Makes perfect sense.

The ironic thing is that the 7 Series caused controversy primarily due to it's droopy headlights, and it's strange taillights, not because of it's trunklid.
Don't know what you read but EVERY review I read talked about the funky trunk (negatively).

The media in particular yields the belief that Bangle in fact came up with the "Bangle Butt", and a lot of ignorant enthusiasts also hold the same belief. This of course is simply not true.
Yes, that paragon of design excellence, the Echo, was first.
Old 09-23-06, 12:43 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well there have been cases where all the media have gotten it wrong, IMO...here we are talking about their observations on styling, a subjective area. I would say that it's both--'lesser' cars like the Cirrus/Stratus and Echo had earlier versions, but on luxury cars the BMW Bangle versions popularized it. Who borrowed from who is a mystery...
Old 09-23-06, 12:55 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
Who borrowed from who is a mystery...
No mystery to me. IMO the Cirrus/Echo looks more like an integrated spoiler design than a Bangle design. The entire trunk on the Bangle design is higher than the rear fenders. Completely different IMO.
like previuosly stated, I dont know who looks at those vehicles for inspiration.
Old 09-23-06, 01:50 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What seperates Bangles work is that his decklid designs seem like a seperate
non-intergrated piece that sits on top of a regular trunk. There's a hard cut defined line that shapes this area. On the Cirrus/Stratus and others, there is more of a smooth and natural intergration. Very different concept. Actually, Hyundai has come closest to BMW's rear decklids (Elantra, XG, ect.) along with the new S-Class. But BWM's still remain the most exagerated and that's why they get the most criticism.

So, what's this thread about again??
Old 09-23-06, 07:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
What seperates Bangles work is that his decklid designs seem like a seperate non-intergrated piece that sits on top of a regular trunk. There's a hard cut defined line that shapes this area.

On the Cirrus/Stratus and others, there is more of a smooth and natural intergration. Very different concept.
Exactly.

It's very strange and unique in how it deliberately DOESN'T flow at the sides - the rear fenders bulging out accentuating the funky trunk lid.

So, what's this thread about again??
lol - the new LS, which is definitely better looking than the 7 series!
Old 09-23-06, 09:29 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait a minute? People are actually trying to say that the LS has had original styling all along? The previous LS was a Mercedes copy through and through. The new one's rear end is so similar to the BMW's in general (not necessarily the 750 in the photo, that was just a comment) that my GF who knows nothing about cars made a comment that the Lexus's rear resembles BMW's. Does it look good? Yes. Is it derivative? Hell yeah. It's not exactly the same but it screams BMW.
Old 09-23-06, 09:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rosskoss
Wait a minute? People are actually trying to say that the LS has had original styling all along? The previous LS was a Mercedes copy through and through. The new one's rear end is so similar to the BMW's in general (not necessarily the 750 in the photo, that was just a comment) that my GF who knows nothing about cars made a comment that the Lexus's rear resembles BMW's. Does it look good? Yes. Is it derivative? Hell yeah. It's not exactly the same but it screams BMW.
No one said LS styling is totally original, you said that. Clearly whatever styling Lexus choses for the LS, it works.

Old 09-23-06, 09:34 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want fender flares, look at the new S-Class. I think they're trying too hard and putting flares just for the sake of having them.
Old 09-23-06, 09:54 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
You want fender flares, look at the new S-Class. I think they're trying too hard and putting flares just for the sake of having them.
So who wants to do a Photoshop of the S-Class without the flares and see how it looks? I rest my case.
Old 09-23-06, 10:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RX_330
So who wants to do a Photoshop of the S-Class without the flares and see how it looks? I rest my case.
It would look like the last one. They didn't change much but add fender flares. I do love the older S!

Old 09-23-06, 10:15 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It would look like the last one. They didn't change much but add fender flares. I do love the older S!
The W220 had much softer lines, and having no flares matched it very well. The W221 has much more aggressive lines compared to the W220. Taking out the fenders would be very weird. Maybe a slight tweak of the fenders. Maybe don't let the front ones start out in the headlights or something.
Old 09-23-06, 10:20 AM
LexFather

The W220 had much softer lines, and having no flares matched it very well. The W221 has much more aggressive lines compared to the W220. Taking out the fenders would be very weird. Maybe a slight tweak of the fenders. Maybe don't let the front ones start out in the headlights or something.
I was reading or listening to an older Benz guy, loyal to the brand say "WHEN THE HELL DID MERCEDES LET SUVs DICTATE THE STYLING DIRECTION". Instead of beautiful and timeless we have agressive and in your face, i.e ML styling cues.

I mean, its not awful, it is selling but after a couple years, then what? The W220 is timeless, still looks new. I don't think the new one will age as well. Also with huge wheel arches, it makes stock wheels look puny. You have to get 22s to make it look right.

Alas, it is very BOLD and IMO, the S65 (which I have seen in person) was just jaw dropping. We are talking PRESENCE here. HEY, I AM IMPORTANT. IMO, you got to love that sometimes.

Old 09-23-06, 10:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I think that will look like a Maybach which I don't like. I agree the new S class looks better than the Maybach, but I like the previous S class better.
Old 09-23-06, 10:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I think that will look like a Maybach which I don't like. I agree the new S class looks better than the Maybach, but I like the previous S class better.
Damn, great point

Quick Reply: Drove the all new LS460 today...lots of pics