Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California Sues Carmakers (including Toyota)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 01:07 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** it id pull out of that market. See how cali likes that. No more new cars for you. You would see people in cali very rapidly voting off their current legislators.

The only way to deal with their problem of having to meet to strict of legislations is to do just that. Get together as car companies and boycott the state. the dollars lost in sales would be compensated in having to meet more reasonable standards.
Old 09-21-06, 02:19 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know i said liberals...but there can be liberal republicans just as there can be conservative democrats...

i just wish people would use common sense before suing...
Old 09-21-06, 04:39 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Don't they also realize what would happen to automotive pricing if these companies were forced to use the highest technologies available to meet the standards California is looking for?

Entry level cars (Corolla class, ect.) for $35,000?

It's not that easy California! Otherwise it would already be happening.

Even Toyota with its substantial wealth would be hardpressed to rush something like this onto the market and expect them to sell at premium prices.
Old 09-21-06, 05:46 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

California, as all states, have too many attorneys.

These lawyers need to be held personally responsible to the taxpayer for filing these suits against the public. When they lose, they pay the defense cost to the taxpayer. Let's also make the schools that train them also financially responsible.

The public in California are the ones purchasing the fuel, driving the autos and polluting the air. Most have multiple vehicles. No one is suing for multiple vehicles, because the attorneys are then part of the problem.

If there were limits on how many vehicles a family may register at a single household, the vehicle numbers and pollution would drop dramatically.
Old 09-21-06, 06:22 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tammy
If there were limits on how many vehicles a family may register at a single household, the vehicle numbers and pollution would drop dramatically.
This wouldn't really change anything because people can only drive ONE of their cars at a time. If every driver had one car, there would be the same amount of cars on the road as if each driver owned three cars each.

It would only change if car pooling increased. And we know that most can't really car pool as they have different origins and destinations.
Old 09-21-06, 06:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
This wouldn't really change anything because people can only drive ONE of their cars at a time. If every driver had one car, there would be the same amount of cars on the road as if each driver owned three cars each.
Perhaps what Tammy meant was if a household has two parents and 3 teenagers the home might have 5 or more vehicles ALL GOING AROUND CONCURRENTLY. By limiting that to 3 (which I'm not advocating) there would be at most only 3 on the road at once forcing trip consolidation, although it's debatable how much pollution might be reduced.
Old 09-21-06, 06:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
**** it id pull out of that market. See how cali likes that. No more new cars for you. You would see people in cali very rapidly voting off their current legislators.

The only way to deal with their problem of having to meet to strict of legislations is to do just that. Get together as car companies and boycott the state. the dollars lost in sales would be compensated in having to meet more reasonable standards.
I so agree.

In Mexico, a lot of foreign auto manufacturers would not sell in Mexico due to requirements that required usually a manufacturing plant in Mexico. In some cases like VW and some other groups, this made sense since there were definitely going to be potential buyers to justify it, but in other cases it made absolutely no sense since the market was limited...that is why you have to pay a small fortune (due to taxes) to buy a Ferrari here.

There actually has been enough pressure put via trade treaties (especially in the case of Japan) to limit the amount of required investment, but for years Mexico had a take it or leave it policy.

I can imagine if the auto manufacturers basically ignored CA due to emissions requirement, people would indeed make the political decision to curtail CARB and politicians.
Old 09-21-06, 09:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

cali needs to fix their abyssmal transit or highway system, then there would be less cars on the road and less pollution, OH NOES LOGIC
Old 09-21-06, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Is Schwarzenegger really supporting this?
An interesting question, considering that he owns THREE Hummer H1's...one of the most polluting vehicles on the road.
Old 09-21-06, 09:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Inabj2
EXACTLY what I was thinking, Inabj2....you just beat me to the posting.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-21-06 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-21-06, 10:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

When I was a kid and first learned about emissions testing (we had it in Florida for almost 10 years before it got canned ), I just could not believe when my CA relatives told me about all these restrictions and the like...I was like WTF...I always had this beautiful picture of California being the greatest place on the earth to modify and beautify cars.
Old 09-21-06, 10:24 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

California is run by old geezers with a combined IQ of 13.
Old 09-21-06, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
California is run by old geezers with a combined IQ of 13.
When I listen to the people talk who represent the state in Congress.....especially Pelosi and Boxer....even that may be stretching it.
Old 09-21-06, 11:57 AM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

The lawsuit is absolutely asinine!
This is only directed to Automakers, if emissions is a global thing, they fail to mention the Big rig TRUCKS!! and most of these come through California from out-of state.
do we not pay the State to have our vehicles' check for compliance of emissions???
Old 09-21-06, 12:05 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
Cali Sues Carmakers Over Greenhouse Effect
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California filed suit against Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp., Toyota Motor Corp. and three other carmakers on Wednesday, charging that greenhouse gases from their vehicles have cost the state millions of dollars.

State Attorney General Bill Lockyer said the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Northern California was the first of its kind to seek to hold manufacturers liable for the damages caused by their vehicles' emissions.

The lawsuit also names Chrysler Motors Corp., the U.S. arm of Germany's DaimlerChrysler, and the North American units of Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.

Why don't they sue Mexico over the illegal aliens? Makes more sense.

Quick Reply: California Sues Carmakers (including Toyota)