Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 RL = $46,450; 2007 TL Type S = $38,795

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 06:03 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool What Argument?

No offense but look at the sources your citing. You would FAIL a college writing exam with those links trying to support your arguement. Seriously.

This my friend is how you support an arguement
I actually was agreeing w/ you but only provided those bc you said you never read a review that said it was aggressive. I never said they were great reviews ... just showing they that existed.
Old 09-24-06, 06:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I don't really have any source, but from what I remember, the RL, TL, and North American Accord are all based off of the same platform. Also, I recall that there was a prototype Accord with SH-AWD. So it would be presumable that a TL with SH-AWD is possible, but for whatever reason, Honda doesn't choose to do so.
True. Honda probably thinks its more appropriate to add in SH-AWD during a makeover instead of a facelift. It does make sense though because why change a thing if sales are going well. I only see Honda, or any other company, doing a major upgrade in between makeover only if they are desperate for sales. In this case, Honda probably isn't quite desperate I'm excited for the TL once it gets SH-AWD. This will make it more competitive to the IS350 and G35 sedan. We'll hear less of FWD complaints
Old 09-24-06, 06:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I know I have said this before, but just forget about " image " for a moment, who builds the car, the "prestige" or "non-prestige" of the automaker, its marketing policies, competition with other vehicles, what your friends think of it, how many cylinders it has, etc....

Just go look at a new RL....forget you are even at an Acura dealer. Examine its paint, hardware, jewel-like build quality and finish, tanklike structure and doors, tasteful trim, and seating comfort. Then drive it and experience its power, roadability, and the SH-AWD.

THEN come back and let's hear what you guys have to say. If you STILL dislike the car, fine, that's your prerogative........but by all means, go look at it.

In my opinion, this car is so good it is intoxicating. If I decided to spend 40-50K on a new car this would be the one in my parking space.....or the Lexus GS AWD right behind it in second place.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-06 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-24-06, 06:51 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Then drive it and experience its power, roadability, and the SH-AWD.

THEN come back and let's hear what you guys have to say.

This car is so good it is intoxicating. If I decided to spend 40-50K on a new car this would be the one in my parking space.....or the Lexus GS AWD right behind it in second place.
better than the M35 awd? curious they seem close in price/performance etc..
Old 09-24-06, 06:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm pretty sure its more advance than the Infiniti's AWD system. I think the ATTESA E-TS system only distributes power with Front and Rear bias where as the SH-AWD can distribute power to any wheel.
Old 09-24-06, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rai
better than the M35 awd? curious they seem close in price/performance etc..
I've driven and reviewed both. The M35X is a nice car, no question about it, but I'd take the RL hands-down. It, in my opinion, is clearly superior to the M35 in several areas....paint, interior trim/hardware, ( though the M35's new Rosewood console is a step up from the old one ), seats, body/ door solidness, and, of course, the sophistication of the SH-AWD system compared to Infiniti's AWD.
The RL is not quite as pure a sports sedan as the M35/45, but has an almost intoxicating ability to do almost everything well and combine solidness and jewel-like quality with silence, ride comfort, power, roadability, braking, tracking, grip in corners, all-season traction, etc.....like almost no other car I've seen. Driving it is like getting Meg Ryan for a wife....a classy girl who can do just about anything and will stick with you thick and thin, rather than just spending the night with a glamor girl who will stun you with pure looks and pizzazz but can do only ONE thing well and who you will forget about in the morning.

Both cars, however, have excellent repair records.....the M35 / 45 has not had the quality problems some Infiniti SUV's have had....they are not built in the Canton, MS plant that has turned out so many lemon Nissan / Infiniti trucks and SUV's.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-06 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-24-06, 07:26 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've driven and reviewed both. The M35X is a nice car, no question about it, but I'd take the RL hands-down.
thanks I'll have to dig up your reviews. They are very informative.
Old 09-24-06, 07:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rai
thanks I'll have to dig up your reviews. They are very informative.
I'll PM you and send them.
Old 09-24-06, 08:24 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Then you are alone. I haven't read anywhere people say it looks aggresive, in mag reviews or on the internet. It is not ugly or bad looking, it sure ain't head grabbing either.

I would think if you think the Rl is aggresive, then the CR-V is very aggresive, the Kia Rio is jaw dropping and the Toyota Yaris is menacing.....
No, actually I think you are alone.