Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D November - M45 vs. 550i vs. E550 vs. GS450h(performance stats pg.4)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-06, 03:20 PM
LexFather

Lets not forget all that parts sharing. The M35/45 shares tranny/engine/brakes etc with other cars (and I am not saying the competiton does not). Then its PLATFORM is G35 based, which is 350Z based (FM). That is a TON of savings from an engineering standpoint.

Old 09-25-06, 05:05 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This comparison was absolutely bogus.

Why are you complaining about the CVT tranmission when the GS430 has the 6 speed auto which should of been used in the test?

This test really made no sense whatsoever.
Old 09-25-06, 05:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
A lot of 550i buyers generally fall in the higher income bracket than say... $100k. I'm sure they'll have no problem paying $71k for a bmw 550i, just like how people are willing to pay $70k for a Lexus LS430 UL.
which is exactly the point... I have to wait to actually read the damn article on my damn digital subscription that I didnt get YET, before commenting on it...

Price difference is indeed huge, and should very much matter in the comparison... Because there is no way 550i is 15k better than M45... and that was probably the whole point...
Old 09-25-06, 07:10 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusls430
Oh well. I think they should of waited for the GS460 to come out but i dont blame them because who knows when. I agree with others that the m45 is too tall.
Honestly, I don't think the lack of power is what caused the GS to place last.
The chassis just wasn't meant for a sports car-like dynamic, and you know how much emphasis car mags put on sport.
Old 09-25-06, 08:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy16
Honestly, I don't think the lack of power is what caused the GS to place last.
The chassis just wasn't meant for a sports car-like dynamic, and you know how much emphasis car mags put on sport.
not so sure... some well respected people here loved how GS450h handled with optional A-S-S system, but I guess mags dont test sport sedans with sports options... what would they write about? :-).
Old 09-25-06, 10:24 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

There is no surprise with the placement of each car. It should especially be no surprise that the M still won the comparo. It has won almost every comparo in the mid lux sedan category. It really is a great car
Old 09-25-06, 10:26 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lets not forget all that parts sharing. The M35/45 shares tranny/engine/brakes etc with other cars (and I am not saying the competiton does not). Then its PLATFORM is G35 based, which is 350Z based (FM). That is a TON of savings from an engineering standpoint.
And what exactly is the relevance of this bit of info?
Old 09-25-06, 11:20 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
Absolutely none. BUT he is 1SICK and had to get that in there somewhere... lol I too am not suprised that the M45 won as I have seen this car win many other comparisons in the past. The 550i seems not to appeal, visually, to a lot of people, at least from my own personal experience. Personally, I love it, it think it looks awesome, but I can't speak for everyone. The E550 I think it just not appealing to anyone under 50, unless it's an E55/63. Having the Audi in there would have been sweet too as the newer Audi styling, IMO is better than Infiniti, BMW, MB or Lexus. As mentioned earlier, the GS doesn't seem very well equipped to compete with these other cars in the "sport" category of the tests, luxury wise, I'm sure it would win handsdown, BUT also as it was mentioned, more emphasis seems to be put on performance. I must say though, if the M45 doesn't get a refresh sometime soon, it will soon find itself in last as there isn't much separating last to first in this comparison.

With the difference in price between the M and 550i, whether you can afford a $70K+ car or not does not negate the fact that $13-15K is still a considerable amount. Think about that, you can buy loaded M then take what you save over to Nissan and buy a Versa to save gas on your daily commute... lol
Old 09-25-06, 11:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, big congrats to infiniti, way to go for them? i have to say, being able to take the trophy from companies like bmw and mb, that's not easy!!!! come to think about it, maybe i should go and do a serious test drive on the infiniti and see how that goes against the bmw.

on the other hand, it's a bit sad about the placement of the gs450h. seriously, with the active suspension, i would think the car probably handles better than the mb
Old 09-26-06, 12:29 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hypnotik

I think what 1Sick was trying to point out is one of the reasons for the difference in price between the M and the 5. Sharing parts bring down the cost of things.
Old 09-26-06, 07:52 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
I think what 1Sick was trying to point out is one of the reasons for the difference in price between the M and the 5. Sharing parts bring down the cost of things.
yes, but don't the 5-series 7-series, 3-series, 6-series, X5 etc.. share parts, engines and platforms to some extent as well?
Old 09-26-06, 08:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they share engines/transmissions not sure how extensive the other items like brakes etc are shared. Wouldnt be suprised if its the same level of the Infiniti M series. Got to have it points is pretty stupid, that can turn the tide of 1st and 2nd place and the category means nothing from a testing standpoint more of an emotional standpoint. 5 series costs significantly more because of the prestige and blue/white rondel badge fee
Old 09-26-06, 08:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
wow, big congrats to infiniti, way to go for them? i have to say, being able to take the trophy from companies like bmw and mb, that's not easy!!!! come to think about it, maybe i should go and do a serious test drive on the infiniti and see how that goes against the bmw.

on the other hand, it's a bit sad about the placement of the gs450h. seriously, with the active suspension, i would think the car probably handles better than the mb
I haven't read the article, but I think the hybrid's "weirdness" is not in line with their accustomed expectations, & maybe it's too quiet to exite them, probably lost points in trunk/interior space too. As another magazine said, the GS450h is not a sports sedan & shouldn't be compared to the 5 series . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-26-06 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-26-06, 08:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Thank you sir. I will say "Again" I am not saying other cars don't share parts but its a FACT Nissan shares more than anyone, thus keeping prices down. Clearly in this case, it is very effective, the M35/45 is a great car.

Old 09-26-06, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I haven't read the article, but I think the hybrid's "weirdness" is not in line with their accustomed expectations, & maybe it's too quiet to exite them, probably lost points in trunk/interior space too. As another magazine said, the GS450h is not a sports sedan & shouldn't be compared to the 5 series . . .
hahaha, i guess i can agree about the quietness part together with the cvt, you even lost the "excitement" when the car rev high and shifts. at least it's fast, and with the active suspension, i think it hangs very well!

Quick Reply: C&D November - M45 vs. 550i vs. E550 vs. GS450h(performance stats pg.4)