Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D November - M45 vs. 550i vs. E550 vs. GS450h(performance stats pg.4)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 03:08 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Also, is it just me or I don't want any of these cars as they are pigs. Why the hell does a midsize sedan weigh over 4000lbs????? ALL OF THEM!!?!!?
1) The horsepower wars: Engines getting bigger and bigger. It used to be that V8's were 4.0L. As the hp war builds, displacement goes up.

2) The safety system wars: All the safety stuff, some required by law, some not, add weight. You know, VDC, VSA, VDIM, VPIOILIWTNB, etc.

3) The tech toys wars: You'd be surprised how much the wiring alone of electronic gizmos add to a car. Cars in this class have all sorts of tech stuff that are arguably useless to most people. The Lane Departure Warning System was noted as a "Low" for the M45. Well, at least the damn thing can be turned completely off.
Old 09-26-06, 03:59 PM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

I'll disagree and agree with C&D when ever I want. I don't care if C&D doesn't like the GS that much, "I" LOVE it, and would LOVE to own one.
What ever happened to the good ol car mag reviews, when they used to talk about the cars, the details, the touches, the technology and safety. Instead, many car mags talk mainly about performance related issues and nothing else. There's more to a car than just how fast it'll go through corners etc
Old 09-26-06, 04:11 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

I agree that they are on the heavy side but at least one of the pigs is a sprinter and the other one is a dancer.. not sure what the other two are.. just trying to look cute I guess..
Old 09-26-06, 04:24 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

The are heavy because they are called "Luxury Sports Sedans" the "Luxury" part adds weight.
Old 09-26-06, 04:38 PM
LexFather

Guys, you are stating the obvious here. I would like to see them challenge themselves to add items AND keep the weight down or minimal. The last gen GS and 5 were like 3500/3600 lbs cars!

These "midsize" cars weigh over 4000lbs. What is next, 4500 lbs?

Do ya'll know the LS 430 weighs 3900 lbs?

Again, I know why they are heavier, I would just like them to try to keep it down. More weight hurts performance and fuel economy. Then they add more power. Then it gets heaiver...

Vicious cycle! lmao

Old 09-26-06, 04:58 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.8 seconds for the 550 is incredible.

I hope the GS460 is as fast. 460 engine looks like it has less torque than the E550, but the car will probably weigh less, Hopefully around 3900 lbs. or even under. I agree with 1sicklex that those cars are heavier than they should be. About 6 years ago, this segment was around 3600-3800 lbs.
Old 09-26-06, 05:01 PM
LexFather

Grabs more popcorn and watches this become 10 pages

Old 09-26-06, 05:36 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, you are stating the obvious here. I would like to see them challenge themselves to add items AND keep the weight down or minimal. The last gen GS and 5 were like 3500/3600 lbs cars!
That was the first thing I noticed too.

These cars are way too heavy for the mid luxury segment.
They have to reverse this bad trend
Old 09-26-06, 06:20 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Actually incorrect.

2005 GS430 = Curb Weight: 3715 lbs.
2005 530 = Curb Weight: 3803 lbs.
2005 ls430 = Curb Weight: 3990 lbs.

These "midsize" cars weigh over 4000lbs. What is next, 4500 lbs?

Do ya'll know the LS 430 weighs 3900 lbs?

Again, I know why they are heavier, I would just like them to try to keep it down. More weight hurts performance and fuel economy. Then they add more power. Then it gets heaiver...

Vicious cycle! lmao
Old 09-26-06, 07:00 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSsnarl
I'll disagree and agree with C&D when ever I want. I don't care if C&D doesn't like the GS that much, "I" LOVE it, and would LOVE to own one.
What ever happened to the good ol car mag reviews, when they used to talk about the cars, the details, the touches, the technology and safety. Instead, many car mags talk mainly about performance related issues and nothing else. There's more to a car than just how fast it'll go through corners etc
You might want to subscribe to Automobile and not Car and DRIVER!
Old 09-26-06, 08:18 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Seriously it is tiring with some of you choosing to just bicker against me instead of taking the time to read and comprehend what I am saying.

The M35/45 is the ONLY car in this class to SHARE its platform with so many other cars/SUVs. This is A FACT.

The M35 is the only car in this class to SHARE its engine with so many other cars/SUVs/Vans. This is a FACT.

For the third time, I am NOT saying no one else shares nor it is an awful thing. I am saying, that is where TONS of the cost savings is, as this car is cheapest in class.

Do you (and anyone else that wants to lose an debate), understand that?
How about this.

The GS350 V6 also is shared in many application within toyota. Some have direct injection some don't, but it is still the same engine. The RX, IS, ES, Camry, sienna..... not to mention the japanese market as well. BTW, this engine is also available on Estima/Previa.

The GS platform is also used to pin the crown athelete, the IS.

The M on the other hand, spawn the FX, the G. Again not much different from what lexus did with GS platform. FX is a car based platform. Instead of useing the Cefiro/Teana platform, Infiniti choose to base the FX on more expansive rear drive platform, while lexus decided to use cheaper camry platform for the RX.
Old 09-26-06, 08:23 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The GS got 20mpg, the E and 550 17mpg and the M45 16 mpg. So the GS is pretty much 20% more efficient in hard driving. Kudos to the hybrid in this area.

Like i have said many time before. Who cares about getting 20 mpg vs 17 mpg when buying a mid-level luxury cars. Lexus simply missed the boat with GS450h. I don't think anyone is going to be so worked over 3 mpg when buying a 60k car.
Old 09-26-06, 09:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chiawei
Like i have said many time before. Who cares about getting 20 mpg vs 17 mpg when buying a mid-level luxury cars. Lexus simply missed the boat with GS450h. I don't think anyone is going to be so worked over 3 mpg when buying a 60k car.
We both know its not a big selling point but I am still giving kudos to those engineers for giving the 450h 20% better fuel economy and comparable acceleration. That is technology.

I cannot see how anyone can dismiss this achievement.

Old 09-26-06, 09:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chiawei
How about this.

The GS350 V6 also is shared in many application within toyota. Some have direct injection some don't, but it is still the same engine. The RX, IS, ES, Camry, sienna..... not to mention the japanese market as well. BTW, this engine is also available on Estima/Previa.

The GS platform is also used to pin the crown athelete, the IS.

The M on the other hand, spawn the FX, the G. Again not much different from what lexus did with GS platform. FX is a car based platform. Instead of useing the Cefiro/Teana platform, Infiniti choose to base the FX on more expansive rear drive platform, while lexus decided to use cheaper camry platform for the RX.
The Toyota 3.5 is shared yes. Lexus has exclusive use of the Direct Injection, thus the higher power. Their 3.5 is also not in as many products.

But I digress. You DIDN'T READ like most anti-SICK people do. You skim my posts and nitpick them. I NEVER said the competitors didn't share parts. I said not to the extent as Nissan does.

Your beloved 5 and 6, share platforms and engines and parts.

The E and CLS share platforms and engines and parts.

Anyway, congrats to all the cars, 4 fantastic vehicles. This class has never been better. I am going to stay outta here as I am certain this thread will be linked and people talk about my comments more than Mel Gibson's lol

Last edited by LexFather; 09-26-06 at 09:31 PM.

Old 09-26-06, 09:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Code:
		0-60s	1/4s	Skid-g	70-0ft	70dba	lbs
GS450h		5.5	14.1	0.81	176	66	4183
E550Sport	4.8	13.4	0.84	170	67	4039
550i		5.2	13.7	0.89	161	66	4048
M45Sport	5.9	14.5	0.85	160	69	4082
Comments:

GS is slower than 3, worse grip and brakes than all, heavier than all by over 100lbs and of course has a trunk that can hold one Kleenex box. It doesn't really work, but kudos to Toyota/Lexus for trying.

M45 is the slowest - maybe the 5 speed auto hurts? But handles well. Yes it may be a lot cheaper than the 550i but I think the 'win' was a bit contrived over the much more capable 550i. It's a bargain sport sedan, kudos for Nissan/Infiniti for pulling it off.

E550 is the quickest and huge kudos for MB for extending the life of this platform and keeping it so competitive. I'm sure the latest version cost peanuts to develop relatively!

550i is the true sports sedan but with more quirks than BMWs in the past. Kudos to BMW for bringing even more handling competence in a 4000lb+ sedan to the market - it's remarkable.

Quick Reply: C&D November - M45 vs. 550i vs. E550 vs. GS450h(performance stats pg.4)