Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D November - M45 vs. 550i vs. E550 vs. GS450h(performance stats pg.4)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 07:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
That's the slowest time for the M45 that I've seen. Even slow-*** Edmunds got a faster time than C&D. That doesn't happen often.

R&T (02/05): 5.3s
C&D (02/05): 5.6s
Edmunds (02/05): 5.7s
MT (05/05): 5.7s
R&T (06/05): 5.3s

Anyways, I'm a bit surprised that the M45 won, even though it was the slowest in this comparo. Usually, when it wins, the review says, "The M45 blazed by everyone, yada, yada, yada..." So it must have had other things going for it.
it was slowest and laudest... but its cool factor won the competition
Old 09-27-06, 07:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I read the article... it seems to me that they liked GS450h just fine, just not as sports car (which it isnt, although i wished they got one with A-S-S).
So the GS450h they tested was not equipped with the option suspension **** that should make it handle better eh, that's an excuse ah for some reason, Lexus never provide cars with the sportiest set-up to these mags, this or wrong tires etc. as we've seen in the past. Maybe they realize the car is not going to win in any case because of it's hybrid powertrain & CVT, & it's not as sporty as the rest . . .

I am not a sports sedan person, especially for a mid-size sedan, I would always prefer a smaller coupe for sports, but out of the bunch, if I have to buy one myself my pick would be :

1. M45 sport - great value, practicality of a large car, still don't like the rear end. Interior(dash) looks busy to some, but I like it just fine. Ride is stiff which is a compromise to achieve it's handling, chassis not as balanced as the BMW & the steering still not the same, but overall, I would still pick it over the BMW easy.

2. E550 - still looks good despite the oldest, love the torque/hp & the interior design.

I won't even rank the other 2 since I haven't driven the GS450h, but I am not ready for hybrids yet, but I applaud their efforts.

As for the 550i, it's a non-starter for me since I dislike it's design inside & out. As for it's fun factor, I can go elsewhere for the real ultimate driving machine( not BMW ). If I really needed a 4 door sports sedan, I would get a 335i over the 550i, the new 3 series backseats are more spacious than the previous & good enough for most purpose for me.
Old 09-27-06, 09:10 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or simply get a nice used E39 M5 for $30k less.
Old 09-27-06, 09:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
So the GS450h they tested was not equipped with the option suspension **** that should make it handle better eh, that's an excuse ah for some reason, Lexus never provide cars with the sportiest set-up to these mags, this or wrong tires etc. as we've seen in the past. Maybe they realize the car is not going to win in any case because of it's hybrid powertrain & CVT, & it's not as sporty as the rest . . .

I am not a sports sedan person, especially for a mid-size sedan, I would always prefer a smaller coupe for sports, but out of the bunch, if I have to buy one myself my pick would be :

1. M45 sport - great value, practicality of a large car, still don't like the rear end. Interior(dash) looks busy to some, but I like it just fine. Ride is stiff which is a compromise to achieve it's handling, chassis not as balanced as the BMW & the steering still not the same, but overall, I would still pick it over the BMW easy.

2. E550 - still looks good despite the oldest, love the torque/hp & the interior design.

I won't even rank the other 2 since I haven't driven the GS450h, but I am not ready for hybrids yet, but I applaud their efforts.

As for the 550i, it's a non-starter for me since I dislike it's design inside & out. As for it's fun factor, I can go elsewhere for the real ultimate driving machine( not BMW ). If I really needed a 4 door sports sedan, I would get a 335i over the 550i, the new 3 series backseats are more spacious than the previous & good enough for most purpose for me.
hahahaa, i guess lexus doesn't really care? the car with and without **** is very very different, and the handling is completely night and day. i don't know what to say
Old 09-27-06, 01:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Maybe Lexus wants to lose the comparos to keep insurance down. Yeah, that's it.
Old 09-27-06, 10:39 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Well, anybody that thought the GS450h would win this comparo is nuts. This car is more of a tech-toy for Lexus, more of a technology show than a real contender. It doesn't have a big V8 like the other three, and the added power of the electric motor, along with the handling, is sacrificed by the weight of the batteries.

Never the less, it is faster than M45, and it handles and brakes on par with E55. It also costs less than E550 and 550. Now, I'm not saying it should've won the comparison, but M45 didn't deserve the 1st spot by any means. Its the slowest out of the bunch, doesnt handle as well as 5 series. Sure this is the cheapest car of the bunch, but a corolla is even cheaper.

That being said, I think the E550 deserves the first spot. This is the car to have. Crapload ot torque, great looks, best interior. This is what people are looking for in this price class. And that slight disadvantage in handling isnt going to be felt on street/highway driving, plus you dont buy a car like this for handling anyway.

The 2nd place belongs to the 550, although in my opinion these a HUGE gap between the E550 and 550. The 550 is fugly outside and out, but never the less it delivers blazing acceleration, not too far off the E55, and has the best handling, although it compromises ride comfort. Certainly not my cup of tea, but there are plenty of folks that it appeals to.

M45 deserves the third place. Its a nice car, with good looking interior, decent handling and accelearation, but it is a generation behind. It only launched a year ago, but it's already aged. Not enough power by todays standards, 5 speed auto doesn't cut it, with tiny sheet metal and cheap paint jobs it's just not in the same class. But of course it has an appealing price, but it appeals to a "value buyer".

The GS450h belong in the 4th place of course. It's a cool car to play around with, show it off to the ladies, and brag to your friends, but to own one? Not thanks, its too unpractical. However, in all honesty if it wasn't for the limited trunk space, I would put it ahead of the M45. And the current GS430 IMO is ahead of the M45, but its missing that extra TQ/HP to get ahead of the 550 and E550. But GS460 might change it.
Aged and a generation behind? Please get over yourself. If that were the case, then it would have been last in the comparison. If you look up the comparos the m35 or m45 are in, you'll see that this car has won almost every comparo simply because it is a great car. Some car mags have also stated that the m45 handles better than the 5.
Old 09-27-06, 10:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Maybe Lexus wants to lose the comparos to keep insurance down. Yeah, that's it.
lol, that would be really lame
Old 09-28-06, 03:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
Aged and a generation behind? Please get over yourself. If that were the case, then it would have been last in the comparison. If you look up the comparos the m35 or m45 are in, you'll see that this car has won almost every comparo simply because it is a great car. Some car mags have also stated that the m45 handles better than the 5.
I agree that it is a great car, but when you complare it to E550 it is simply not in the same class, and seems a generation behind. Carry over engine from the Q, 5 speed auto. Interior and exterior aren't really up to par either. Pretty much the same could be said about the current GS430, but at least its got a new engine and tranny coming its way.
Old 09-30-06, 10:17 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Default Car and Driver Comparo, 1-M45, 2-550, 3-E550, 4-GS450h

I did a search and haven't seen any threads on the November 2006 Car and Driver sedan comparo on the mid luxo sedans. Can't say I disagree with anything they said but I might have put the E550 second. Interesting read for the first head to head comparo. GS 460 is going to come very late to this party. M45 did not post best numbers but overall including price, won the comparo. First time I saw bimmer win the most expensive category, even over the merc.

Once again, sorry if this thread has been started but I did search.
Old 09-30-06, 10:23 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

No problem. But it has already been covered.

An entire 7 pages too.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=GS450h

I actualyl just read this story not to long ago as well. Rankings is what I expected (maybe a switch between 1 and 2, but whatever). An even stronger engine is not gonig to save the GS. C&D said "one word, and one word only. DYNAMICS!!"

Merged...

Last edited by GFerg; 09-30-06 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-30-06, 10:24 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
No problem. But it has already been covered.

An entire 7 pages too.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=GS450h
Thanks, I just couldn't believe it hadn't been started but I was on a biz trip and not watching for a while. Have to figure out how to use the search engine better.
Old 09-30-06, 10:32 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Boy, you guys are quick with these things. No point rehashing what has been said. Obviously Lexus is trying to sell their hybrids with a performance and economy advantage. I have never been very comfortable with that approach. I would expect the LS hybrid will finish similar when the bimmer, merc, whoever V12 large sedan comparo comes. If you are a performance enthusiast, getting to be a lot of reasons to shop elsewhere. As for the GS 460, it is going to come awfully late in the game. A new 5 and E class aren't going to be far off.
Old 09-30-06, 11:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,579 Posts

A GS460 will be faster than the GS430 and GS450h but without some suspension and steering changes to corral all that power it's going to be borderline unsafe.
Old 10-01-06, 01:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
A GS460 will be faster than the GS430 and GS450h but without some suspension and steering changes to corral all that power it's going to be borderline unsafe.
with the variable suspension alone (if available) the gs460 would be a darn good car already. the gs450h is already very fast and with that setup i think it handles extremely well for a stock car
Old 10-01-06, 07:46 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read the complete article on C&D magazine yesterday and
I have to say I am pretty stunned by this comparo. The M45
with the oldest engine not only holding its own but winning?

In a way I'm really glad Infiniti is beating BMW, Lexus and
Mercedes in these comparos. We all get better cars because of
this competition

Quick Reply: C&D November - M45 vs. 550i vs. E550 vs. GS450h(performance stats pg.4)