Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Conversation I had 30 seconds ago with a BMW 650 convert owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-06, 05:52 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Sure it sounds harsh.. not really the intent, It's just funny how these threads go..

"I would have bought an Aston Martin"
"Give me the M6"

The point is that it's easy to say... harder to do.
I see your point, many people (most) on this thread have not driven a 650 vert so it's not like they are speaking from experience. But that does not mean they can't have valid points about the car. Such as it's price and it's weight both being high as well as it's looks being (um some would say ugly).

I can't say why people buy the cars they do. I'm sure there is a reason, but I think a lot has to do with how they want other people to see them (ie. rich enough to buy such cars).

Two examples of head scratchers:

One guy has owned in the last 5 years:

e46 M3 --> previous gen M5 --> 645Ci --> current gen M5 trades in every 18 months. At the same time he has and still owns a X5 4.4L which he says he likes as much or better than the other BMW cars he has owned. (OK) far from me to tell him otherwise.

One guy owns a 2003 911 turbo. He went to drive a S4 (a friken S4, not a RS4) and he comes back gushing about the S4 how it's so nice it feels almost as fast/quick as the turbo ( ) so I tell him the S4 actually weak (in this context) well next week he trades in his turbo for a S4 (with AT). He's happy, but most of us would wonder about that trade but he just got tired of the turbo and likes the S4 and is convinced the S4 is almost as quick as the turbo.

Last edited by rai; 09-25-06 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-25-06, 07:20 AM
LexFather

For the "Car experts here"... yes, there is in fact a sport button on the 650, it is right in front of the iDrive controller, on the shifter trim plate. It adds 0 HP, but does alter the shift patterns and throttle response.

I personally don't care about people hating.. I love my 650i and thats the end of the story. Lexus had no vehicle that was even close to being in the segment.

I just have to laugh when people on internet forums pontificate on what they "would buy" when in the majority of instances, the $80K they would have to spend on a car is a multiple of their annual income. I suppose it's easy to hide behind a keyboard at times.
1. Thanks for letting us know where the button was.

2. Just because someone doesn't like something, does not make them a hater. A comment like "the 6 sucks" or "the GS is crap" is hating. Saying "I hate how the 6 looks" or "the GS looks like a Maxima" is not hating, rather that is an opinion. This is not even about BMW vs Lexus. This is about a guy telling me his car makes over 500hp when it does not. I am sure we all have stories where guys fib or exagerrate what their car has not knowing the person they are talking to knows the truth.

3. Its the internet, people will speculate until the end of time. Some even will act like they have the money to buy a car they cannot.

Old 09-25-06, 08:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

People can still have an opinion on what's the best car to buy in that price range & freely express it on a forum even if it's not in their own affordable price range yet.
You think those car magazines writers can afford all of the cars they write about ? They took it for a test drive & not live with them on a daily basis, plus it's not like they're voting with their own money, many of the cars they can't afford anyway. So they shouldn't be talking about them, much less sell magazines on them ?
Old 09-25-06, 09:21 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I honestly did not know there was a button! I swear Gene! When my daughter could not fit in the back of the 650ci, I did not even bother getting in it! Of course my "car expert" status is now a notch lower
Old 09-25-06, 11:10 AM
dshahs420
Pole Position

This thread has become a B**** Fest!!!!! sad
Old 09-25-06, 12:41 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's one of those buttons that makes a real difference as well. In my SC or GS, there was no real change when it it was on/off. On the E63, it's a dramatic difference. Not + 130HP dramatic mind you
Is the button the same as the ECT PWR button? As in, does it just change the shift points.
I honestly think the 6 series is the hottest BMW, the 3 coupe is growing on me though.
I don't have the money for any new car but I can still have my opinions. If I had the money though, I would definetly go for the M6. Even if it's quite a margin higher in price.
Old 09-25-06, 12:44 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just have to laugh when people on internet forums pontificate on what they "would buy" when in the majority of instances, the $80K they would have to spend on a car is a multiple of their annual income. I suppose it's easy to hide behind a keyboard at times.

Well with that logic, I won't comment on the government because I'm not a politician.

People can hate on cars if they don't like the way it looks. Its an opinion of course; but its a majority opinion. People can come up with situations on what they would buy even if they don't have the money. I frequently wonder at what jet I'll be buying before I turn 40 (I'm pretty dead set on a MiG 15 or Sabrejet). I think the 6 series looks OK. It isnt pretty though. And someone trying to impress someone else over their car or indirectly request respect because of how much their car costs, has A LOT of problems. Us normal folk (haha yeah right ) can make fun of these people all we want
Old 09-25-06, 01:01 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This sadly is not out of the ordinary and shows how that badge is worth $$$$$$ in spades.
I pull up to a friends house and one of our friends is walking out with 2 other guys. I start walking to the door and he's like "Mike check this out". (I am typing from his computer)

I walk over and behind his car is a 650 convertible. Pictures don't do it justice. This is only UGLY car. I smile though and remain corteous.

I walk to the back:
"wow 650, thats a nice ride"
-yeah, its amazing
"yeah, its fast, has 360 hp"
-hell yeah, its fast as hell, I think it has like 420 hp though"
(I stare and blink but don't say anything)
"well its a fast car, no doubt, u like it?"
-I love it, you see that there, that is lambskin. Its not leather. And look at that woodgrain.
"wow, lambskin, amazing"
-yeah and there is a sport button, when I hit that, I get over 500hp"
"for real??? 500hp!!
-yeah, 500 (then his friend says, "he hit it and man, I was like SLOW DOWN, its too fast"

SO there you have it, the new 500hp 650 with the optional sport button. You press that and VIOLA!!

Mike,
In the future you have an OBLIGATION to:

and enlighten these people with your knowledge! =)
Old 09-25-06, 01:18 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
And someone trying to impress someone else over their car or indirectly request respect because of how much their car costs, has A LOT of problems. Us normal folk (haha yeah right ) can make fun of these people all we want
Well said Bean!
Old 09-25-06, 01:45 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

It's different because it actually does something

With Sport mode enabled, the car seems much peppier. Throttle response is much quicker and yes, shift points hold longer.

t.
That's exactly what happens on my IS350 when i use ECT PWR button. So, what's the difference?
Old 01-29-07, 07:48 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default I think its spreading...

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This sadly is not out of the ordinary and shows how that badge is worth $$$$$$ in spades.
I pull up to a friends house and one of our friends is walking out with 2 other guys. I start walking to the door and he's like "Mike check this out". (I am typing from his computer)

I walk over and behind his car is a 650 convertible. Pictures don't do it justice. This is only UGLY car. I smile though and remain corteous.

I walk to the back:
"wow 650, thats a nice ride"
-yeah, its amazing
"yeah, its fast, has 360 hp"
-hell yeah, its fast as hell, I think it has like 420 hp though"
(I stare and blink but don't say anything)
"well its a fast car, no doubt, u like it?"
-I love it, you see that there, that is lambskin. Its not leather. And look at that woodgrain.
"wow, lambskin, amazing"
-yeah and there is a sport button, when I hit that, I get over 500hp"
"for real??? 500hp!!
-yeah, 500 (then his friend says, "he hit it and man, I was like SLOW DOWN, its too fast"

SO there you have it, the new 500hp 650 with the optional sport button. You press that and VIOLA!!

LOL, I just thought about this thread. My neighbor bought a 650i a few weeks ago in this awsome red color with chrome stock rims ( idont even like the 6-series to much, but his car looks badass), and I had a short convo with him when he first bought it and he proceeds to tell me his 6-series has a V12 in it and will smoke every car out there. Couldnt believe what I was hearing, so I just let it go.
Old 01-29-07, 07:57 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gekko
-

bmw drivers are such smacked-a$$es.
You should see what they say about Lexus drivers.
Old 01-29-07, 08:05 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Sigh....sorry I didnt mean to bump this thread to start a flame war which always happens to be the case. Sure aint gonna happen now.