Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

To Avalon or Not to Avalon? That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 08:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
Avalon, i have a friend that after seeing how die hard lexus/toyota i was traded in their 1 year old accord for a new Avalon Limited, its a really nice car, i wouldnt mind one for myself.
The Avalon is more of a luxury car than the Accord, although the Accord seems to have better-quality hardware and trim inside.
Old 09-25-06, 08:06 AM
LuvLuxury
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

I was a little bit concerned with the 07 Camry's given their recall status and some of the intial quality problems with the transmission etc. I really like the ES's from Lexus but not many dealerships where they live and honestly in a small town of Reading, PA most of the people there drive American made cars. It really makes me dissapointed because of the lack of quality if GM, Caddy, Ford etc products.

They are going to test drive the Avalon again and I'll post pictures if I can convince them to push through the entire deal.

LL
Old 09-25-06, 09:50 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I think the Avalon is the next step for a luxury car in a decent price range.. They can always go for the Camry with 268HP. Both cars look great especially with the dual exhaust.. GL
Stay away from the Camry and ES till the transmission/quality problems are resolved. I wouldn't recommend those two cars to anyone for reliability.
Old 09-25-06, 10:55 AM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That doesn't explain, though, why they went to somewhat more male-oriented macho tires and suspension on the new ES, trying to make it more of a sport sedan in a world already FULL of sports sedans. All it did, IMO, is mess up the former ES's excellent ride...though, admittedly, its ride is still less harsh than that of the new IS.
If they have macho tires then why is everybody complaining about how skinny the tires look in the ES350 forum?
Old 09-25-06, 11:23 AM
Neophyte
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My mom just bought an 06 Avalon Limited with every possible option and I can tell you that is one nice car! It is big, comfy and quiet(not quite Lexus quiet but still quiet). I would recommend that car to anybody!

my 2 cents
Old 09-25-06, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dshahs420
If they have macho tires then why is everybody complaining about how skinny the tires look in the ES350 forum?
Well, compared to Corvette, Ford GT, or Viper rubber they may look skinny and high-profile, but not compared to the tires on the former ES...which were 60-series and with a softer suspension. The new more aggressive 55-series tires and stiffer suspension take a noticeable bite out of ride comfort this year.
Old 09-25-06, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neophyte
My mom just bought an 06 Avalon Limited with every possible option and I can tell you that is one nice car! It is big, comfy and quiet(not quite Lexus quiet but still quiet). I would recommend that car to anybody!

my 2 cents
Congragulations to you and your mom ......and your dad if applicable. A nice car. What color did you get? ( The light greenish Silver Spruce Pine, I think, is one of the Avalon's nicest colors......so is the dark Red Cherry ).

Do you or your mom know the new-car break-in rules? That is very important for engine, transmission, and brake life. If not, PM me and I'll give them to you.
Old 09-25-06, 05:23 PM
Neophyte
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations to you and your mom ......and your dad if applicable. A nice car. What color did you get? ( The light greenish Silver Spruce Pine, I think, is one of the Avalon's nicest colors......so is the dark Red Cherry ).

Do you or your mom know the new-car break-in rules? That is very important for engine, transmission, and brake life. If not, PM me and I'll give them to you.
Thanks! She picked up the Phantom Gray with the Dark Charcoal interior. I wanted her to get a lighter color since darker colors get dirtier faster and show every little bit of dirt. But she was in love with the Phantom color.
The only thing I dont like is the wood grain with that particular color choice, maybe a black wood option would have been a better combo imo. Other than that no complaints. I told her the new-car break in rules, so she's good. It was between this car and a Lincoln Town Car but I was telling her Town Cars are WAY overpriced (lowest model starts at 42k!!!)
Old 09-25-06, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Town Cars ride nice ( one of the VERY few cars on the road that still do ) but don't have anywhere near Toyota build quality. They also, in the past, have had the habit of warping their brake rotors from their heavy weight and undersized wheels and brakes.
Old 09-26-06, 10:03 AM
LuvLuxury
Driver

Thanks for the replies guys! I will foreword the words of advice on to my friends!

Ps- I just wanted to throw this out there : Do you or do you know of anyone who has a 1964 Cadillac Deville Convertible? I am looking to restore/customize to my preferences. I have looked everywhere but most are a either finished product or they are rusty!

Thanks guys,

LL
Old 09-26-06, 10:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

mom got a new gen avalon loaner when her 01 avalon was at the dealer getting something fixed, so I got to beat on it for a while. Car was huge, more space than my dads 2000 740, and it was faster than the 7. Road over some bumps and didnt phase the car, Ive driven my moms 01 a lot and the 06+ is a gigantic improvement over the old one in every category. Get your friend to test drive one