Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

To Avalon or Not to Avalon? That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 04:16 PM
LuvLuxury
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Avalon or Not to Avalon? That is the question

I have a some friends who are looking into purchasing a Toyota Avalon. I am seriously biased towards import cars VS American....and they have never owned anything besides american made cars ever! I am trying to convice them into getting the new 07 ES but they won't buy it. So next up is the Avalon. What are you opinions and what other cars compare in the same price range?

Thanks,

LL
Old 09-24-06, 04:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

what's their priority, price range, etc?
Old 09-24-06, 04:45 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They must prefer a big car if they want an Avalon over an ES.

What about a Maxima? It has a 4-seat version but won't have the reclining seats of the Avalon.
Old 09-24-06, 04:48 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

After seeing the ES ...i would pick an ES semi equipped loaded, than an avalon limited fully loaded. The ES is a strikingly amazing looking car in person, and the avalon looks too bloated, but not bad looking. The quality of materials and feel is first class in the ES and much more refined. If I had to spend $35K on a car, the ES is THE only car I would buy, and im not being biased towards Lexus. Im very open about all car makers. I feel each has their own strengths and weaknesses. For 35K, the ES is hands down the best choice to make that nourishes the luxury quiet ride enjoyer and also someone who wants a nice semi aggresive looking car, satisfying the best of both words.
Old 09-24-06, 04:51 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I think the Avalon is the next step for a luxury car in a decent price range.. They can always go for the Camry with 268HP. Both cars look great especially with the dual exhaust.. GL
Old 09-24-06, 05:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

We had a very rare in Mexico 2nd generation Avalon at my track last night (he did not want to race it ), but it never has quite matured into that one model higher than the Camry that it should be. Would still go for a Camry or the ES350 (in the right package of course).
Old 09-24-06, 05:04 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LuvLuxury
I have a some friends who are looking into purchasing a Toyota Avalon. I am seriously biased towards import cars VS American....and they have never owned anything besides american made cars ever! I am trying to convice them into getting the new 07 ES but they won't buy it. So next up is the Avalon. What are you opinions and what other cars compare in the same price range?

Thanks,

LL

My parents were in the exact same situation two weeks ago. They had to choose between a 2007 ES350 or a 2007 Toyota Avalon. They choose the Avalon for a number of reason. BTW, they traded in a Cadillac.

1. ES350 is first model year car and I noticed some issues from the people on this board. Similar issues to the Avalon when it was new for 05.

2. Price was cheaper. When taxed, delivery are all added, the Avalon came out about $7k cheaper.

3. Pretty much the exact same drivetrain. However, the Avalon is a faster car to 60mph if that really matters.

4. Insurance was $500/year cheaper for the Avalon.

5. Had to wait way too long for the ES350 to be delivered.

6. Avalon was a much larger car inside.

Last thing I noticed was that the Avalon with 1 less transmission gear actauly have just slightly better fuel economy compared to the ES. The Avalon was .2 liters/100km better in the city than the Camry. Both hwy mileage was the same.

I would tell them to test drive and reesearch both vehicles in depth before making the purchase.
Old 09-24-06, 05:49 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

ES350 for sure. Avalon feels pretty cheap compare to ES. It's a great car tho but just can't compare to the ES.
Old 09-24-06, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvLuxury

Thanks,

LL
The first thing your friends need to learn is to open their minds up a little when it comes to cars. Having helped many people through the years, one of the most common mistakes I see make is this idiotic idea that they HAVE to have an AMERICAN or FOREIGN car, not realizing how global the industry has become and how interrelated everything is. By painting themselves into a corner like that, people often miss out on the vehicle that would end up being best for them.
Now...having said that, if they still want to live with their heads in the sand, I agree the Avalon is the first car to look at. It is roomy, built in Georgetown, KY, has a good track record of durability ( not quite as good as some other Toyotas ) is fairly comfortable although a little stiffer than past models, and makes a good highway cruiser, though I'm not wild about its new interior. A slightly more firmly-sprung Touring version is available if they want a little more " sport " feel and interior.
As for its main competitiors, the Buick Lucerne, despite GM's ads to the contrary, simply doesn't have the same build quality, the Hyundai Azera is a nice car and very similiar to the Avalon, with a dynamite warranty, but is built in Korea, and the new 2007 Lexus ES, in my opinion, has been cheapened inside and needlessly given a stiffer suspension and more sporting tires, thus degrading its formerly excellent ride.

If it was my money, BTW, and a choice between these cars, I'd take the Avalon if I was just keeping it just a few years and the Azera if I was keeping it a long time.
Old 09-24-06, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
ES350 for sure. Avalon feels pretty cheap compare to ES. It's a great car tho but just can't compare to the ES.
The main problem here, though, is that the new ES doesn't compare to the old one. It has been cheapened inside and has lost its ride quality.
Old 09-24-06, 07:00 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The main problem here, though, is that the new ES doesn't compare to the old one. It has been cheapened inside and has lost its ride quality.
I really have to agree here. I did not want to offend anyone but we took the ES for a test drive and it did feel cheaper than the ES330 which is replaced.

Notible things that felt cheap were the wood trim (my parents Cadillac with its Zambrano trim) was richer. The center console felt weak, and door panels could of been much nicer. The center stack on the dash looked to feminine. I hope I am not offending anyone but those were my impressions.
Old 09-24-06, 07:05 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Designer

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The center stack on the dash looked to feminine.
I do not remember which review it was but I read that the designer was a woman & she created the interior to resemble the folds of a kimono robe -- which explains the slanting wood down the middle.
Old 09-24-06, 07:45 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

I would pick the avalon over the ES anyday.... I mean a camry with the ES badge.
Old 09-24-06, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS69
I do not remember which review it was but I read that the designer was a woman & she created the interior to resemble the folds of a kimono robe -- which explains the slanting wood down the middle.
That doesn't explain, though, why they went to somewhat more male-oriented macho tires and suspension on the new ES, trying to make it more of a sport sedan in a world already FULL of sports sedans. All it did, IMO, is mess up the former ES's excellent ride...though, admittedly, its ride is still less harsh than that of the new IS.
Old 09-24-06, 08:06 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Avalon, i have a friend that after seeing how die hard lexus/toyota i was traded in their 1 year old accord for a new Avalon Limited, its a really nice car, i wouldnt mind one for myself.

Quick Reply: To Avalon or Not to Avalon? That is the question