Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports Owner Satisfaction Survey: Luxury Cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 09:33 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the fit and finish of the latest BMW's. It's one of the only interiors that "satisfy" me in almost every way. Its quality and fit and finish is #1, way better than my Lexus and Land Rover. The only other car that comes close to this feeling for me outside of a BMW is my RL, and I've driven a lot of cars.

Disclaimer: This is just MY opinion and is no way intended to be passed off as fact.
Old 09-26-06, 11:01 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
Why?

Lower level of fit-and-finish? I hear you on the I-Drive, but I personally think the BMWs have a higher level of fit and finish nowadays. Thoughts?
Higher level of fit and finish by comparison to BMW's of the past yes. But still not nearly as good as their competition.
Old 09-27-06, 03:56 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ramon
Higher level of fit and finish by comparison to BMW's of the past yes. But still not nearly as good as their competition.
Really? Can you give me some examples? Have other sources pointed this out? I'm just curious as I've found the fit and finish on my BMWs at least as good as the Lexus autos I've owned.
Old 09-27-06, 04:28 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I never take all these surveys seriously. They don't reflect the real life. 5 and E sell the best, by a pretty big margin over the rest. Sure M has improved significantly from the last generation, but still Infiniti could only sell half of what BMW or M-B could each month. If this survey is true, then even the old owners want to switch to the other brands, BMW and M-B still have no troubles finding new owners.
Old 09-27-06, 06:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
I Sure M has improved significantly from the last generation,
No. I have to disagree. The only real " improvement" in the M5 is the big V-10 500 HP engine ( if speed, of course, is your thing....and the engine has a control that normally limits it to 400 HP ). Otherwise, compare the new M5 ( or any of the 5-series cars ) with their pre-Bangle predecesors and compare them in fit-and-finish, sheet metal, assembly quality, door solidness, interior materials, and, of course, the infamous you-know-what on the center console. I think you will see my point.

True, people ARE buying these cars, but not everyone out there is as astute as we are here in CAR CHAT about evaluating a car and how well it is built. A lot of people are buying these cars simply from years of hype from magazines like CAR and DRIVER, ROAD and TRACK, AUTOMOBILE, etc....and how the PRE- Bangle cars consistantly won the sport-sedan comparisons. ( And the pre-Bangle cars were well-deserved of those first-place wins ). But the newer BMW's are much different from those of several years ago, and the public to some extent is stillliving in the past....just like they are with the idea of Hyundais and Kias still being junk, which is not true.

This, of course, is not just one-sided either. I acknowledge the fact that some people ( genearch, right here on CAR CHAT, is one of them ) who do not share my negative opinion of the new BMW's....and I respect their opinions, but I myself have to call it like I see it.