Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Best sports car to come from Japan? (NSX not included as OP says its a supercar)
Supra TT
57.79%
RX-7 TT
11.04%
300zx TT
5.19%
3000GT VR-4 TT
5.19%
Skyine R33
18.18%
MR-2
2.60%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Best Japanese SPORTS car in the mid-90s

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 04:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Um... Price? Prestige? Performance (not say others on this list aren't good performers)? But in reality, IMO anyway, the NSX is the only "supercar" on here and the only car that was given that from the get go, or very early on in it's life anyway. The Supra TT and FD are not cars you think of as supercars I dont think; they are great TUNER CARS and that is why they are so popular here and other message boards where car enthusiasts reside. Because some of those other cars can be built to compete and surpass, at times, cars like the NSX and other "supercars" in stock form, they're not much of a "supercar." As kiet mentioned as well, Fast and the Furious has a lot to do with the popularity AND price, currently, of these vehicles (mainly Supra TT). No average person is willing now to spend the asking price of most CLEAN Supra TTs. Those who pay that sort of money are mostly from the tuner market or some sort. The NSX on the other hand people buy with the mentality that they are in fact buying a supercar, not just a car that simply has raw power. Any respect given, earned or otherwise, to any of the other aforementioned cars has a direct relation to the tuner market.
Let me get this right. The movie "the fast and the furious" is what made the Supra an Icon and is what pushed resell value up.

Tell the folks at www.supraforums.com that crap.

The Supra was an ICON in 1994, doing 0-60 in 4.8 and have 320hp. People figured out BPU upgrades to put 400 TO THE WHEELS and the biggest discovery was taking out the twins and adding a SINGLE turbo, making the Supra one of the fastest cars PERIOD.

However, to ME, it is not an exotic and not a Super car. Even when the asking price was $50,000, it is not a super-car.

And I voted NSX, but I don't think its a super-car either. What Ferrari or Lambo V-6 is a super-car? Super-car is SUM of everything. The NSX while fantastic does not have the name (Honda/Acura) and the engine while more than enough to make the light NSX fast, still missing 2 cylinders. Is it kick-***. HEll yes, its sensational. All aluminum, hand built, I mean its incredble.

Gets my vote.

Old 09-26-06, 04:45 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok people. I sould of put the R32 on the list, my mistake. I kinda fopgot about the NSX because IMO its not in the same class as these other cars are. I mean you really can't compare it to any of the cars on the list except for the power it has. Price..no, looks...no, resale...no, status symbol...no.
The funniest thing about the NSX is that I'm am condsidering buy a 93 red one in my area for a couple of months until I can buy my friends 94 Supra at the end of the year.
I think of the NSX as a Japaneese super car and thats the reason why I didn't put it in this poll of "sports" cars. It doesn't even fit if you think of them as brand new cars, once again the only thing in commen was the power they all had. I also think that the r34 gtr v-spec is also a supercar, am I wrong maybe, but its my .02
If I could edit my poll I would go ahead and put the the R32 in it and maybe even take out the NSX that SICK added even though its in second place on the poll. I still think its a "Supercar", not a "Sportscar"!

Last edited by DriftNsc3; 09-26-06 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-26-06, 04:47 PM
LexFather

So I'll take NSX off the list. My bad.

Old 09-26-06, 04:50 PM
LexFather

Okay your poll said sports car but your title said super car so I changed to sports.

Old 09-26-06, 05:05 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay your poll said sports car but your title said super car so I changed to sports.
OOOO Didn't relize that, I thought they both said sports cars, my bad too.
Old 09-26-06, 07:47 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
NSX would defeat all of these on a track, dont care how much power a supra TT or VR4 has way too porky to be nimble on the track
sorry just had to laugh at this comment..
Old 09-26-06, 10:34 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Let me get this right. The movie "the fast and the furious" is what made the Supra an Icon and is what pushed resell value up.

Tell the folks at www.supraforums.com that crap.

The Supra was an ICON in 1994, doing 0-60 in 4.8 and have 320hp. People figured out BPU upgrades to put 400 TO THE WHEELS and the biggest discovery was taking out the twins and adding a SINGLE turbo, making the Supra one of the fastest cars PERIOD.

However, to ME, it is not an exotic and not a Super car. Even when the asking price was $50,000, it is not a super-car.

And I voted NSX, but I don't think its a super-car either. What Ferrari or Lambo V-6 is a super-car? Super-car is SUM of everything. The NSX while fantastic does not have the name (Honda/Acura) and the engine while more than enough to make the light NSX fast, still missing 2 cylinders. Is it kick-***. HEll yes, its sensational. All aluminum, hand built, I mean its incredble.

Gets my vote.
If you READ what I said, or shall I say, DIDN'T say, I never once said that Fast and the Furious made the Supra an ICON. I only said that it made the car more popular and I do now know how you can deny that. I'll be honest here, before that movie came out it was, for the most part, all about B series powered Hondas and such with people in highschools. I know this because I was in high school when this movie came out. After the movie, everyone wanted a Supra, oh and SR powered S2000s... lol... For you to deny that the popularity of the Supra didn't grow along with it resale value at least a little bit after the Fast and the Furious you must not get out much, aside from message boards. You're 100% correct, the Supra was an icon before the movie, amongst tuners, but who else? Im not knocking the Supra in any way, shape, or form, Im just stating the obvious truth here. With the statement about the single turbo swaps and such, that really furthers my point, it was a popular choice, and still is among TUNERS, which I had said. I respect the Supra highly and do not doubt it capabilities at all, but it just didnt seem to belong in this poll.

I do agree with you that the Supra nor the NSX are really "supercars." They both fall short in performance, in stock form, but the NSX is the closest thing any Japanese manufacturer had at the time. And as you stated before, there is not much allure to driving an Acura/Honda vs a Maserati/Ferrari or any other exotic for that matter.

The funny thing about all this is that the NSX was incorrectly added to the poll as it was incorrectly titled, so in the end, this argument holds little to no weight on the subject... lol I voted for the NSX but you can chalk up my vote to the Supra now that the title was changed... lol
Old 09-27-06, 04:32 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I voted for R33 GTR. But I think NSX should beat all of them. Unless it is R34 Skyline GTR, now that would be my final choice, but it is not a mid 90s sports car.
Old 09-27-06, 07:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
sorry just had to laugh at this comment..
you dont have a clue if you think near 4000 lb vehicles with highly uncontrollable power curves are as track nimble vs a substantially lighter mid engine vehicle, 800+ hp of high lag boost is abyssmal to control track, boost will come on suddenly and uncontrollably during a turn which you will end up losing traction and end up in the dirt
Old 09-27-06, 09:24 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you dont have a clue if you think near 4000 lb vehicles with highly uncontrollable power curves are as track nimble vs a substantially lighter mid engine vehicle, 800+ hp of high lag boost is abyssmal to control track, boost will come on suddenly and uncontrollably during a turn which you will end up losing traction and end up in the dirt
Huh? If you're tracking a car (not dragging), why on earth would you be running a large laggy single, trying to make an unecessary 800+ hp? You build your power for the type of driving you'll be doing, and a stock or near stock version of a Supra certainly has a controllable power curve. Also too, the stock class MK IV supra competes in the same class as the NSX in SCCA.

As for best japanese car? I'm partail to an LS FD3S, but meh...supra gets a nice nod.
Old 09-27-06, 12:06 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
and now none of them are even made, sad sad sad!
At least Nissan, Honda, Mazda and Mitsubishi are still making some proper sports cars today (350Z, S2000, RX-8, EVO), but where's Toyota in the picture? The Supra, MR2 and Celica are no more. Even the XRS versions of the Corolla and Matrix are discontinued. What's left in the lineup? Solara? Corolla "S"? Well hopefully Toyota will not wimp out of their last promise, the LF-A-based sports car.
Old 09-27-06, 01:30 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
At least Nissan, Honda, Mazda and Mitsubishi are still making some proper sports cars today (350Z, S2000, RX-8, EVO), but where's Toyota in the picture? The Supra, MR2 and Celica are no more. Even the XRS versions of the Corolla and Matrix are discontinued. What's left in the lineup? Solara? Corolla "S"? Well hopefully Toyota will not wimp out of their last promise, the LF-A-based sports car.
yeah but it's too bad Toyota/Lexus still wont have an "affordable" sports car as their Japenese counterparts have.
Old 09-27-06, 03:57 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Mazda Rx-7 FD3S. Biased? Yes, I am.

The Rx-7 was about as close as you could get to a pure sports car. Extremely lightweight, mid-engine placement, RWD, no frills, no cup holders.

It has all of the makings of a classic-- terrifyingly fast in the corners, fast in the straights, unique and very finnicky. Low production numbers and a beautiful, timeless design.

3000GT VR4, 300ZX TT, R33 Skyline were all great cars, but don't hold a candle to the Rx-7, Supra and NSX. People knock the Rx-7 for reliability...but the 300ZX and 3000GT were no better reliability wise and a complete nightmare to work on.

The MR2 was a unique car, but it doesn't quite fit in with this list. The R33 and the MR2 are similar in that they are both bloated cars that lost their way.
Old 09-28-06, 12:09 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the NSX was designed to be an exotic car in the first place. It certainly achieved near-F355 performance. Considering it was released in the early 1990s, that's pretty amazing.

However, by today's standards the NSX is just too old. Even Japanese professional drivers claim that the S2000 is pretty much on par with NSX's handling capabilities.

I voted for the Supra, however I do consider NSX to be one of the greatest sports cars from Japan.

The beauty of the MKIV Supra lies within the potential, and the major fault with the NSX is its exotic pricetag. If you are to ask someone if they would take the money to buy a Supra and mod it or take a NSX in stock form, the choice would be clear. Of course NSXs are moddable but you're looking at a few thousand dollars for some bolt-on parts only (think 5k for full titanium exhaust system from the headers, with 30hp gain) A modded Supra is able to easily take a NSX, just with the sheer power of the 2JZ. But of course any cars modded get advantages.

The NSX is well-suited for tracks but weak for wangan (high-speed runs). Even the R33 triumphs in this segment. I was lucky enough to witness street racing on the Tokyo highways a few years back (also stopping by Daikoku PA), and I think people don't use NSX for this for a reason. When you see 800hp Supras and GTRs flying by, it's scary.

That can be said about the US as well. Street racing doesn't happen on tracks they happen on the streets. You pick up a Supra you're the king of the road (because there are not many GTRs around). You get a NSX, you rule the tracks, where 99% of drivers don't go to.

Perhaps the best balance between the GT class (Supras 300ZXs 3000GTs and GTRs) and the track racer (NSX) is the RX7. It's cabable of both high output tuning and track racing. The GTR (R32 and R34) is also capable of doing both. But since we don't get that here I'll leave it out.

The MR-2 belongs to the 2nd class of Japanese sports cars, with Silvias and them, the 4 cylinder sports cars. We don't talk about the EVO and STi, those are some different kinds of monsters

Anyways, I think the NSX is great. Would I take one over Supra? Probably not. If I want MR and lightweight I would pick up a MR-S. If I'm given one, I'll keep it. If I already have a Supra. In today's world, the Supra is just more practical. To save money and get the best of both worlds, I think I would go to FD3S RX7. (swap in 2JZ for the ultimate reliability lol)

Last edited by GlobeCLK; 09-28-06 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 12:15 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree here 100%

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
I think the NSX was designed to be an exotic car in the first place. It certainly achieved near-F355 performance. Considering it was released in the early 1990s, that's pretty amazing.

However, by today's standards the NSX is just too old. Even Japanese professional drivers claim that the S2000 is pretty much on par with NSX's handling capabilities.

I voted for the Supra, however I do consider NSX to be one of the greatest sports cars from Japan.

The beauty of the MKIV Supra lies within the potential, and the major fault with the NSX is its exotic pricetag. If you are to ask someone if they would take the money to buy a Supra and mod it or take a NSX in stock form, the choice would be clear. Of course NSXs are moddable but you're looking at a few thousand dollars for some bolt-on parts only (think 5k for full titanium exhaust system from the headers, with 30hp gain) A modded Supra is able to easily take a NSX, just with the sheer power of the 2JZ. But of course any cars modded get advantages.

The NSX is well-suited for tracks but weak for wangan (high-speed runs). Even the R33 triumphs in this segment. I was lucky enough to witness street racing on the Tokyo highways a few years back (also stopping by Daikoku PA), and I think people don't use NSX for this for a reason. When you see 800hp Supras and GTRs flying by, it's scary.

That can be said about the US as well. Street racing doesn't happen on tracks they happen on the streets. You pick up a Supra you're the king of the road (because there are not many GTRs around). You get a NSX, you rule the tracks, where 99% of drivers don't go to.

Perhaps the best balance between the GT class (Supras 300ZXs 3000GTs and GTRs) and the track racer (NSX) is the RX7. It's cabable of both high output tuning and track racing. The GTR (R32 and R34) is also capable of doing both. But since we don't get that here I'll leave it out.

The MR-2 belongs to the 2nd class of Japanese sports cars, with Silvias and them, the 4 cylinder sports cars. We don't talk about the EVO and STi, those are some different kinds of monsters

Anyways, I think the NSX is great. Would I take one over Supra? Probably not. If I want MR and lightweight I would pick up a MR-S. If I'm given one, I'll keep it. If I already have a Supra. In today's world, the Supra is just more practical. To save money and get the best of both worlds, I think I would go to FD3S RX7. (swap in 2JZ for the ultimate reliability lol)

Quick Reply: Best Japanese SPORTS car in the mid-90s