Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Registering car in california - no title, no contact information

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 04:07 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Registering car in california - no title, no contact information

I own an '87 Mazda Rx-7 that I have no title for. After I had purchased the car sometime late 2002 from some guy in San Francisco, I had never transferred the title nor gotten it registered. It's been sitting undriven for a very long time now.

I don't remember who I had bought it from, his name, or where he lives now (he mentioned he was moving to NY).

I want the title to this car and register it so I can drive it on the streets again, as I did quite a bit to it.

Without title, his name or any contact information, it is impossible to have a title transfer take place unless I resorted to committing a crime (forgery). I do know that he put in the release of liability after selling it to me.

What can I do?
Old 09-27-06, 04:42 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can have the Dmv do a vin number title search for the previous owners' last registered information. In some cases they can also provide you with a copy of the information that is found. From there you will have to track down the previous owner to get them to re-issue you a bill of sale, original title (if he still has it) with his signature endorsing the car over to you. You will have to work closely with the Department in California and New York (if that is where he is) to track down the previous owner.
Just out of curiosity, why would you even buy a car and never get the title sent to you?? Even if the car was gonna sit, or you were not going to transfer/register the car for some time I am just having a small problem understanding why you do not have the paperwork for this car. Legally, if he decided to come back and get this car, there would be nothing you could do since you have no paperwork.
Old 09-27-06, 04:50 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

It was a spare car I had purchased for $800 and since it was not a high priority for me, I procrastinated on transferring the title (I did actually receive the title when I purchased the vehicle). Unfortunately, during my procrastination the title was burned in a garage fire accident that took the title, as well as many other things near and dear to me

Since then, the car has just been sitting pretty.
Old 09-27-06, 06:59 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, was under the impression that you never received the title when you bought the car. Sorry to read about the garage fire. Like I said, you will have to work with the DMV to do a vin number search for the previous owner and have him get a duplicate title and thenm have him endorse it over to you. This, unfortunately is gonna take some time, and is gonna seem like a frustrating process. good luck.
Old 09-28-06, 09:45 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I was able to register a jet ski and trailer with no title. Just had to bring a signed letter from the guy I bought it as a bill of sale with the date, his signature and the amount i paid ($600 for the jet ski and trailer). It was from out of state. My girlfriend is a notary so I had her notarize it. DMV took it no problem. There was also no VIN on the trailer so they issued a new VIN on it and put a VIN sticker on it. Made it all legal, took about 2 hours at the DMV (mostly waiting). Got a title for the jet ski and trailer in about 3 weeks.

It was actually pretty amazing how easy it was to register with no VIN, no title, no nothing. Wound up flipping the jet ski and trailer for $1600, so quick $1000 in my pocket!

Last edited by toy4two; 09-28-06 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 09:58 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Yeah, the "pain-in-the-*** factor" contributed to my procrastination

I guess I was hoping for some [legal] workarounds that I wasnt aware of that would make the process a bit easier. *sigh*
Old 09-28-06, 10:46 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The PITA factot led to your procrastination, but now your PITA just got bigger! lol My friend went through something similar a while back with a 510 he bought. It took numerous trips to the DMV, phone calls, beers, and headaches. But eventually they were unable to find the person who sold the car to him and ended up just re-issuing a title under his name.