Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thinking About Selling The SC...CAR HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 11:58 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by no2faber
I just graduated college back in January so I'm probably around your age. Jersey's got the highest insurance rates in the country so I know your pain. I would have to pay around 3k for insurance if i got full coverage. Call around for insurance quotes but my bet is that your rates, surprisingly, will not go down if you change to a 4-door. At least it didn't for me when i bought my Mazda Protege 5.

It doesn't seem like any car you listed will get better mileage than the SC. If you want to get decent mileage, you're most likely going to have to give up the luxury brands and the sports cars (especially if you're looking for a car under 10k).

Since insurance won't change and gas prices are coming down, you might want to hold onto the SC for a bit. I would suggest you do the math and calculate what you would save, in today's gas prices, if you get a car that gets 25 - 30 mpg. If the range sounds like its worth it then do the change.

As a younger person, I find the recent Mazda lineups appealing. I don't see myself driving an accord/civic or a corolla/camry yet, not to mention the aforementioned fact that their resale value is stinking high. Good luck with your search.
Maybe your insurance didn't go with the Protege 5 because its probably a good 10 years newer than your SC (depending on the year of the Protege)...? Im in college right now, and Im not sure how old Knee is, but as I said before Im paying just over $1400/yearly for my full coverage. Seeing how the gas prices have been the past couple years, I wouldnt expect them to stay as low as they are right now. Id like to believe that are, but its hard to foresee that happening.
Old 09-29-06, 05:27 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Your insurance sounds high. Shop around first. I'd try Wawanesa.
Old 09-29-06, 08:06 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others suggested try changing ur Ins. 1st. But if ur still getting the same rates and must change a car an '02 Camry 4cyl.(~ 23mpg) would prob. be ur best bet(for $9k). The 6cyl. until I think '05 had sludge build-up issues and ultimately engine failure. That goes for the Lexus ES in ur price range as well('97-'00).

If u want good reliabilty/ handling and even better fuel economy you could get an '03-'04 Civic, ~ 30mpg and very reliable as of '03. '01-'02's had some minor issues along w/ occasional trans. problems but all were fixed by '03.
Old 09-29-06, 08:51 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

an sc3 5 speeed and first gen GS3 DONT get any better milage then ur SC4. keep the SC4 get liability coverage and cut down on spending. i dont think i would ever give up my SC for just gas price reasons.
Old 09-29-06, 12:31 PM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I would hate to give up the SC.

I love it, period.

The thing is, I am always taking road trips (Sacramento, Davis, Berk), to visit family and ofcourse the lovely lady about once a month. 400 Mile trip, I usually take the 96 ES because of bomb gas mileage and cheap gas. Insurance is a burnout, simply because my dad doesn't want to put it under his name because he has gotten into a ton of accidents, and knows that whoever he hits is out for his cash. Also, he has been sued (they faily ofcourse hahah, suckers) for no reason for insurance fraud and etc. The thing is, he is just a nervous driver. Even it that, that doesnt even matter because I pay for all that myself. I am 20, honor roll student, one accident (not at fault), FULL coverage, full medical for passangers, un-insured motorists, etc. EVERYTHING. The fact is that I have no tickets, but I am young and I am the owner of my car. My name is on the pink slip. I know that $3100 is very high, but the service I get from Triple A is unmatched. I have had Geico, Farmers, etc and they haven't treated me that well AND have higher prices somehow .

I love the SC and I would hate to think about it, but I have to look at the options.

The thing is

my old 97 sc3 blk/blk (RIP ) >>>> current 94 SC4

I think I should just keep it, and cut down on other expenses and try to find cheaper insurance, because its starting to become a problem.

Last edited by KneeShoe00; 09-29-06 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-29-06, 01:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

If you drive the ES for the majority of your miles I'd cut down the coverage on the SC and take my chances.
Old 09-29-06, 05:35 PM
KneeShoe00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for everyone's help