Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to Introduce Eco Drive Indicator to Encourage Environmentally Friendly Driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 11:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Toyota to Introduce Eco Drive Indicator to Encourage Environmentally Friendly Driving

Toyota to Introduce Eco Drive Indicator; New Feature Aims to Encourage Environmentally Considerate Driving

Tokyo, Japan, Sept. 29, 2006 - (JCN Newswire) - Toyota Motor Corporation announced today that, beginning in October, new Japanese-market vehicle models with automatic transmissions will be equipped with the Eco Drive Indicator, a feature meant to encourage environmentally considerate driving. This development - aimed at reducing CO2 emissions through increased fuel efficiency - is part of Toyota's efforts to combat global warming. Based on a comprehensive determination that takes into consideration such factors as accelerator use, engine and transmission efficiency and speed and rate of acceleration, the Eco Drive Indicator, located on the instrument panel, lights up when the vehicle is being operated in a fuel-efficient manner. This is hoped will raise driver awareness toward environmentally considerate driving and contribute to fuel economy.

Although results may vary - depending on the level of traffic and conditions such as the frequency of starts from stop and of acceleration, as well as distance driven - the Eco Drive Indicator can improve fuel efficiency by approximately 4% (as measured by TMC).

TMC believes that a three-way approach that regards vehicles, the traffic environment and people as three pillars of an inter-related whole is necessary to truly contribute to the realization of sustainable mobility. Accordingly, TMC is actively undertaking driver-awareness initiatives, efforts to develop and commercialize environmental technologies and activities aimed at improving traffic environments using social

source : theautochannel
Old 09-29-06, 11:56 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think a simple trip computer that had LED read out of current MPG, MPG after refuel, average MPG as shown on stock nav would be better
but that light thing is probably cheaper to implement i suppose

i think simple education is good enuf though

ppl that want to drive economically but dont usually dont because they dont know how to

and ppl that dont want to drive economically dont because they just like going fast...

this system would only be useful to the first case and simple education will solve that problem easily

so this is just a stupid option to make toyota seem more environmentally friendly... marketing...
Old 09-29-06, 12:42 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a trip computer is easier. Most people love to quote the brochure when I ask them about their mileage. They just assume that they're getting the stated mileage. That doesn't quite work in the city (and the city rating as there are more variables than the on highway vs. highway rating).

Besides, it helps people learn. What if with this tank, I drive like I normally would. Reset it with the next tank and drive economically (which doesn't mean granny style btw). Then fine tune. I know it helped it.

Compared to other "regular" Prius owners, I'm getting 1-1.5L/100km better summer averages (4.4 vs 5.6-6L/100km). I used to get 5.0 but have since learned and fine tuned to get down to 4.4
Old 09-29-06, 12:53 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the MPG indicator idea, but what would be better is a $/mile indicator. I think people would be more considerate of their money lining their pockets than global warming.

For example, if I drive pretty hard I get 12-14 mpg. That comes out to about $.25/mile. If I baby the throttle and cruise on the highway, I'm good for $.13/mile.
Old 09-29-06, 04:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
i think a simple trip computer that had LED read out of current MPG, MPG after refuel, average MPG as shown on stock nav would be better
but that light thing is probably cheaper to implement i suppose

i think simple education is good enuf though

ppl that want to drive economically but dont usually dont because they dont know how to

and ppl that dont want to drive economically dont because they just like going fast...

this system would only be useful to the first case and simple education will solve that problem easily

so this is just a stupid option to make toyota seem more environmentally friendly... marketing...
every Toyota sold in Europe has trip computer, so i assume thats even more true for Japan.

What eco light does is shows you easily when you are driving economical...
Old 09-30-06, 01:50 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But it's not available here. None of my friends' cars have trip computers. Maybe the one with the 325xi but I'm not sure. The rest: TSX, CR-V, Corollas, Camrys (LE models), Matrix and Echo Hatchback don't have trip computers.