Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lojack worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-06, 07:35 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi there, in 1996 I had my Honda Accord stolen from my home in the middle of the night. I had Lojack on it. However, since the car was stolen in the middle of the night, I didnt know it was gone until I went out in the morning to go to work. I had Lojack and an alarm system on the car. However, these were professional thiefs who stripped my car down to nothing simply for the parts. I was about 2 1/2 years into my lease on the car and I was paid about $5000 for the car over what my payoff on the lease was. The payoff on the lease was $14500 and the insurance company (21st Century Insurance here in Los Angeles) valued my car at close to $19,000. I ended up pocketing close to $5K. My insurance rates did not go up once bit as this was not an collision. It was a horrible experience because I lost items in my car that I couldnt replace, like my briefcase and computer disks for work. The items inside my car were not covered by the insurance, for those I had to make a claim on my homeowners policy. After I made the claim on my homeowners policy for the lost items inside my car, AAA who has my homeowner's insurance raised my rates. Also in case you dont know it, and the dealer didnt tell you, every two years or so you need to have LoJack come out and replace the battery in the locator device. So make sure you do this or your device will not operate. I just leased an 07 IS 250 and it is the first car I havent put my own alarm system in. I have a really good mobile alarm company that comes out to your home or your work to do alarms. He does alot of alarms here in the Los Angeles area for various Nissan, Honda, and Toyota dealers. His work is excellent and the prices cannot be beat. He has the latest and up to date equipment. I just made the decision to stick with the Lexus system this time around. If anyone wants the name of the alarm company I would be more than happy to provide it along with his phone number. Just send me a PM. Sorry for the long read...:0)
Old 10-02-06, 10:30 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
it's probably too late for most.. but before purchasing your car see if you're insurance will give a good amount of discount... i've heard some people saying about $350 off a year before. That's well worth it because you'll pretty buy it back in two years.
I agree. If my insurance woudl have dropped $350/yr, i woudl have gotten it in a second. 2 year sowuld have paid it off for me... But my insurance company told me they would only drop about $21/year from my insurance (i have full coverage, theft, etc). Not worth it for me...

And everyone shoudl check with their bank too. My credit union (where i financed the car) offered me lojack for $200 cheaper than the dealer did.
Old 10-02-06, 10:41 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

One more thing... don't feel rushed to purchased all those extra package. Ask them " can i take it home and look at it and still be offered the same deal?"

They pretty much said yes to all the 5 or 6 option on there.

But they try to get me on the lo-jack. They threw a lower price and said it would be today's deal.

And from the previous post... that 2 year battery change was great to know. It would really suck if the car got stolen for the first time w/ no battery~
Old 10-02-06, 11:02 AM
ICSFSEDoD
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Good Product, HORRIBLE SERVICE

Had it on my M5, had some trouble and tried for a year to get someone to call me back. They never did, I sold it, again tried to call them, but never got a return phone call. Ripped the LoJack out and sold the car.
Old 10-02-06, 02:52 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

We got lojack on our IS250 for $850. With the reduced premiums quoted to me by my insurance company we’ll pay that off in two years. We plan to have the car for at least ten years, so we’re looking at a nice savings for eight years. I think we made the right decision.
Old 10-02-06, 02:54 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Magellan
We got lojack on our IS250 for $850. With the reduced premiums quoted to me by my insurance company we’ll pay that off in two years. We plan to have the car for at least ten years, so we’re looking at a nice savings for eight years. I think we made the right decision.
this was the insurance company i was talkin bout... company that will give a huge enough discount to pay off in two years... what company are you with Magellan?
Old 10-02-06, 04:37 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

this was the insurance company i was talkin bout... company that will give a huge enough discount to pay off in two years... what company are you with Magellan?
I'm with USAA. The rate for our new car with Lojack was $421 less annually than without it.

Of course to have USAA coverage you must have had military service or still be on active duty.
Old 10-02-06, 06:20 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

^^^that is really hard to believe. what did your rate drop down to? about $100 year lol.

Lot of people are paying anywhere from $500 - $800 a year with NO lojack. I'm pretty sure USAA is down on the lower end, no?
Old 10-03-06, 08:25 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kensteele
^^^that is really hard to believe. what did your rate drop down to? about $100 year lol.

Lot of people are paying anywhere from $500 - $800 a year with NO lojack. I'm pretty sure USAA is down on the lower end, no?
Well, with the liability coverage I chose, and with my 20 year old daughter listed as a driver, I’m paying over $2,000 per year for the Lexus.
Old 10-03-06, 09:57 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

but you put her down at 1% driver right? that's way too much.. somethings wrong.. how many accidents?
Old 10-03-06, 12:29 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

but you put her down at 1% driver right? that's way too much.. somethings wrong.. how many accidents?
She’s down as an authorized driver, other than the primary driver. I never heard of this 1% thing. And yes, her driving record is awful, with at least 3 moving violations in the past two years, with 2 accidents, one where the car was totaled.

The good news, if one can call it that, is that she bought her own car (a ’04 Solara) where she’s making the car payments, but with good ol’ Dad paying the insurance. I’ve told her that she’s near having USAA throw her off, and if that happens, she’s on her own. She probably couldn’t afford insurance with her minimum-wage job, so I suspect the finance company would re-posses the car. She's a college student living at home, but it may be time to throw her out of the nest.
Old 10-03-06, 12:48 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had lojack on my last RSX bc the dealer offered me at 480$. Anyway, I have no problem with lo jack and it lowered my insurance quite a bit. But I dont have it on my Is350 right now.
Old 10-03-06, 12:52 PM
LexFather

I got it in both my GSs, it does help with saving money withnsurance and a lil piece of mind...