Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Red Light camera spray

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 11:13 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Are you saying that you will run the red light just because you can get away from it since you have a foreign-plate vehicle?
These aren't red light cameras.

They are actually very similar to those cameras they have in England that they set up in certain locations that snap a rear photo of your plate every time you go over a certain speed. I think in Mexico City (there is an area where I live called the State of Mexico that does not have this yet) that the limit is something 48 mph, but I think remember them saying a 10 mph leeway.

On my morning commute, it is rare to be able to go anywhere near 48 mph.

We had one joker (who later came to my track), who clocked over 160 mph in his Audi. Fine was still about $24 USD.

The fine is about $24 USD and you usually you will know when you go in for bi-annual emissions checks (foreign plated and non-locally plated vehicles need not apply) or by looking your plate number up on certain city websites.

I actually like this since it frees up the overburdened city police to go do real work.

Actually, in Mexico City, after 11:30 p.m. you are allowed legally to go
through a red light after first making a stop. This is to avoid getting robbed.

Where you do have to be extremely careful with speed is on any federal highway. The Federales (Federal Highway Patrol) should be given the same, in fact more, respect than your State Trooper back home. The vehicles look identical. These police officers will not take bribes and I have tons of respect for them. One of my cousins is an officer with them.