Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Red Light camera spray

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 08:32 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Red Light camera spray

So I got a red light ticket and I was looking for the spray online and came across this site called Phantomplate.com and I wanted to know if it actually worked and if its a decent site...Thank You
Old 10-04-06, 11:21 AM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Hey guys thanks for the help
Old 10-04-06, 03:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

They work o.k, but it's illegal in NYC.

If a cop is behind you and sees that your plate is "highly reflective," they can ticket you...

Lesson of the Day: Don't run red lights.
Old 10-04-06, 04:05 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not only that, according the manufacturer (I emailed them once) you need to apply it constatly as they don't last forever. It will disolve over time and wash off in the rain or when you wash the car. Now, this could have just been said to make customers keep buying their product, but I did ask if you could spray the plate then put a plastic covering over it to protect it. They said no as the chemiccals in the spray needed direct interaction with the light. I'm not sure if that was BS or not, but I decided not to buy it. I never ever had a ticket for running a red light anyway so it didn't matter
Old 10-04-06, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Lesson of the Day: Don't run red lights.
Never mind one day......that's the lesson, period.
Old 10-04-06, 04:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by tuddy
Hey guys thanks for the help

Tuddy,

Rather than being impatient, how about helping yourself with the search feature of the forum

A quick search for phantomplate.com yielded these threads with zero waiting, among several others I didn't link.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...antomplate.com
Old 10-04-06, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A simple, clear transparent plastic license plate cover for $3 or $ 4 at Pep Boys or another auto store like that might just do the job, too, from certain angles...and it is legal in many areas as long as it isn't too dark. Light hitting it from certain angles tends to reflect off of it rather than pass through it....but a cop can usually easily read through it and probably won't give you a ticket for obscuring the plate.

I'm not suggesting this to encourage deliberate red-light running, but just to protect you once in a while if you make an honest mistake and don't quite make that yellow.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-04-06 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 11:16 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought, I tested, big scam and waste of money. I did a write up on here with links to the pics / results with a flash
Old 10-05-06, 07:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I will say this, some of my friends swear they passed by photo radar cameras that exist along some of the major roadways here in Mexico City, well above 80 mph and they never get a ticket. They spray this stuff on. Yet, I get other friends who use the same stuff and no such luck, they get a ticket.

My friends and I were discussing this and we felt that if a flash were used by these cameras (only at night) then this type of device would be a little more effective, but not during the day when they take a straight shot with sunlight.

BTW, foreign-plated vehicles and most non local vehicles are exempt from this, so I have luxury of taking my RX300 to the max.
Old 10-05-06, 10:34 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
...then put a plastic covering over it...
YMMV regarding the legality of doing that...mmarshall's comments notwithstanding.

Last edited by toneman; 10-05-06 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-05-06, 11:52 AM
BigMoNYC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tuddy
So I got a red light ticket and I was looking for the spray online and came across this site called Phantomplate.com and I wanted to know if it actually worked and if its a decent site...Thank You
Dont waste your money.... the camera on the westside highway still got through...BIG SCAM
Old 10-05-06, 11:55 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A simple, clear transparent plastic license plate cover for $3 or $ 4 at Pep Boys or another auto store like that might just do the job, too, from certain angles...and it is legal in many areas as long as it isn't too dark. Light hitting it from certain angles tends to reflect off of it rather than pass through it....but a cop can usually easily read through it and probably won't give you a ticket for obscuring the plate.

I'm not suggesting this to encourage deliberate red-light running, but just to protect you once in a while if you make an honest mistake and don't quite make that yellow.
Illegal to cover your plate with anything in NY, clear or otherwise.
Old 10-05-06, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Illegal to cover your plate with anything in NY, clear or otherwise.
I only made it as a general suggestion and what works in VA.......obviously, I don't know every license-plate law in all 50 states.
Old 10-05-06, 09:11 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I will say this, some of my friends swear they passed by photo radar cameras that exist along some of the major roadways here in Mexico City, well above 80 mph and they never get a ticket. They spray this stuff on. Yet, I get other friends who use the same stuff and no such luck, they get a ticket.

My friends and I were discussing this and we felt that if a flash were used by these cameras (only at night) then this type of device would be a little more effective, but not during the day when they take a straight shot with sunlight.

BTW, foreign-plated vehicles and most non local vehicles are exempt from this, so I have luxury of taking my RX300 to the max.
Are you saying that you will run the red light just because you can get away from it since you have a foreign-plate vehicle?
Old 10-05-06, 10:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Are you saying that you will run the red light just because you can get away from it since you have a foreign-plate vehicle?
keep in mind hes in mexico, a stoplight there can catch you for going ofver a green (had it happen a couple times to some friends on mine going and coming from cabo.)

Quick Reply: Red Light camera spray