Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes Salesman

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 11:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Guys, please drop the race issue in this discussion (or take it to pm only), or I will remove/edit your posts from this point on. Thank you.
Old 10-05-06, 03:27 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjr24

And these people are the exceptions I stated. Just because you can find one person who is like that does not mean a majority are, because they aren't. For every person who is dressed normally when they go into a dealer...there are 10 who are in a suit, polo shirt, older age, etc.....your more typical buyer.
I think it just depends on your location. Here
in Hawaii it is not uncommon for someone to walk in with a t-shirt and slippers and buy a $50K+ car. I'll agree though, most do dress nicer with a polo shirt or aloha shirt, but suite and ties are not that common. It's just too hot to wear those types of clothes unless you are coming directly from the office and you have to dress that way.
Old 10-05-06, 03:54 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've done some commissioned sales before; albeit not car sales, but commission nontheless, so i suppose i do understand why the salesman left. Based on your attire, your age, and your response, I can't help but not blame the salesman too much. I do agree that he is a little rude, but put yourself in his shoes: I am a salesman who makes money on my sales. If i waste my time with some kid who isn't too serious who comes in and says "i want something cheap", i won't make any money by wasting my time.

I say just let it go. Don't complain to the manager. If you or your friend plan on buying from that dealership ever again, find another salesman.

Rude salesmen gotta eat too.
Old 10-05-06, 05:07 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Woogie
That's the funniest thing I've read all day.
Old 10-05-06, 05:16 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Woogie
I've done some commissioned sales before; albeit not car sales, but commission nontheless, so i suppose i do understand why the salesman left. Based on your attire, your age, and your response, I can't help but not blame the salesman too much. I do agree that he is a little rude, but put yourself in his shoes: I am a salesman who makes money on my sales. If i waste my time with some kid who isn't too serious who comes in and says "i want something cheap", i won't make any money by wasting my time.

I say just let it go. Don't complain to the manager. If you or your friend plan on buying from that dealership ever again, find another salesman.

They will eat cup-o-noodle if they continue to be rude
Nice sales"person" who make the sales will eat steak

Nevertheless, a person who comes to buy a car will not always buy "on the spot" right then and there. They will cross-shop b/t other cars too, and this is when I don't need a salesperson yet.

Same thing happened to us at an mb dealer. A salesperson was rude and thought that we weren't serious and didn't want to help us. So, we went to another dealer, drove back and showed her how she lost 2 sales-priceless!

But if they were treated badly, most likely that guy won't be getting any sales and future referrals anyway-his lost. The sales guy could've been more polite, more slick, hand the card and say "let me know when you're ready and I'll be more than happy to help you"

Last edited by GS3Tek; 10-05-06 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-05-06, 09:04 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
...Nevertheless, a person who comes to buy a car will not always buy "on the spot" right then and there. They will cross-shop b/t other cars too, and this is when I don't need a salesperson yet.

Same thing happened to us at an mb dealer. A salesperson was rude and thought that we weren't serious and didn't want to help us. So, we went to another dealer, drove back and showed her how she lost 2 sales-priceless!

But if they were treated badly, most likely that guy won't be getting any sales and future referrals anyway-his lost. The sales guy could've been more polite, more slick, hand the card and say "let me know when you're ready and I'll be more than happy to help you"

Yes, we didnt need a salesman yet but the salesman offered to help us but in a rude manner. Why bother if you dont want to help us?! At least be nice at first and if that salesman dont think that we're a potential buyer, then just hand us a card and say "let me know when you're ready and I'll be more than happy to help you" and then leave. Plus that dealership was absolutely empty at the time we visited.

"So, we went to another dealer, drove back and showed her how she lost 2 sales-priceless!" that is a very nice move, I would really like to see that salesman's face when that happened.

I am not the buyer, my friend is. I was looking at the E63 because I am interested, for my next car. Or for my family's next car.

Last edited by Hartawan; 10-05-06 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-05-06, 09:06 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

E63 is weak. Get the E55.
Old 10-05-06, 10:38 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't understand the question.
Old 10-05-06, 11:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

, something cheap, not too expensive." Guess how he replied? "Something cheap? Are you sure youre looking for a Mercedes? These cars arent cheap."
I see nothing but truth. Walk into a chevy dealership and ask the same question and they'll point you to 8 models. Trying to walk into a german luxury car showroom and asking for something cheap is like walking into trump towers and asking if they have something for $50 a night.
Old 10-05-06, 11:41 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I see nothing but truth. Walk into a chevy dealership and ask the same question and they'll point you to 8 models. Trying to walk into a german luxury car showroom and asking for something cheap is like walking into trump towers and asking if they have something for $50 a night.
Well theres always two ways respond. One is the way that he did and another is to ASK first what cheap is. Who knows if 40k is cheap to a person. I understand if I was in his shoes I might be pissed too but hey, why did you come up to us in the first place anyways?
Old 10-06-06, 05:47 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How in the world can you guys go into a luxury vehicle dealership and use the word "cheap". The term "entry level model" would have been the better alternative.
Old 10-06-06, 08:00 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Well theres always two ways respond. One is the way that he did and another is to ASK first what cheap is. Who knows if 40k is cheap to a person. I understand if I was in his shoes I might be pissed too but hey, why did you come up to us in the first place anyways?
May I ask how old are you?