Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tricked-Out Buicks Headed for SEMA

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 11:26 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Tricked-Out Buicks Headed for SEMA

That Tricked-Out Car is a Buick?

October 04, 2006

By Steve Miller

DETROIT -- Thinking about the $3 billion-and-rising auto aftermarket industry—all fast flash and youthful exuberance—surely doesn’t conjure up images of your dad’s Buick.

But this year, for the first time in the 43-year history of the Specialty Equipment Market Association’s annual convention, Buick will feature 11 custom-designed Lucernes on display.

With an average buyer age in the mid-60s, Buick is golf and country club, not rims and chrome. The Lucerne, timid in design but long in plush luxury, is by no means a kid’s dream car.

But word is that when Buick’s parent General Motors began its discussions with various customization shops about its entries into the convention, which runs from Oct. 31 to Nov. 3 in Las Vegas, honchos put forward the Lucerne.

“We started getting calls from custom shops from New York to LA about doing a Lucerne for the show,” said David Darovitz, a Buick rep. “This kind of thing can do a lot for a brand as well as a vehicle.” Any sort of buzz at the annual show, which showcases both car and aftermarket product to an audience that is composed primarily of enthusiasts, can generate sales.

In Buick’s case, the hope is for a younger buyer, Darovitz said. “We want the Lucerne and the event to move Buick into both our new portfolio of products and a new audience.”

The interest in what is seen as an older person’s car stems in part from a trend in Japan that is just now making its way to these shores, called “VIP style,” which means tricking out a vehicle not in gaudy bling or personalized style, but to give it an enhanced profile of luxury and status.

On the other end of the trend scale is the traditionalist, like Rick Bottom, owner of Custom Motorsports in Mendota, Ill., which is working on one of the Lucernes for the show.

“If this car is handled right, it can appeal to a younger person,” said Bottom, who will display the car at shows for a year after SEMA. Bottom secures the car from GM, which sees the marketing potential of both the customization attention from Bottom and the placement value of appearing at SEMA and other shows.

“A lot of these younger enthusiasts are getting married, having children, and the Lucerne has a lot of room. And yet it also has the performance potential,” he said. “You throw out the name Lucerne and everybody says, ‘Oh, it’s an old man’s car,’” Bottom added. “But when I took the car around to my sponsors, from wheels to brakes, they all wanted to be involved and they think it can be a hit.”
source : brandweek.com
Old 10-07-06, 03:57 PM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope.
Old 10-07-06, 04:29 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint drippin' wet!
Old 10-07-06, 04:54 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzgte

I hope.
hmmm.... looks like an american 2gs
Old 10-07-06, 05:02 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

That doesn't look too bad
Old 10-07-06, 05:07 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

looks like a buick, sorry.
Old 10-07-06, 06:28 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That explains the Buick at the shop by my house with the Auto Coture rims and some kind of body kind on it
Old 10-07-06, 10:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

They have to remove the Buick from the Buick, and then the younger market will like these cars. Maybe some kind of coupe like the Solstice. Reatta was taking a small step toward that direction, they just had to keep moving that way.
Old 10-07-06, 10:31 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

When I was really little, around 8 years old or so I bet, I remember at my dads factory there was a CAD drafter that had a picture of a yellow sports car.

I had no idea what it was, so I asked him. He said it was a Buick. I don't remember what kind, but it looks like a muscle car or something.

Are those the roots of Buick? Or has it always been an inexpensive old persons car?
Old 10-08-06, 06:18 AM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read up. Buick started the concept car business. It was once the design leader in the US. We are talking about the days when Pininfarina was working with Cadillac, not Ferrari.