Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need Inputs From You: 2006 E55 or 2007 E63

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-06, 02:17 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Inputs From You: 2006 E55 or 2007 E63

Hello all,

To some of you , you know I am selling my 2004 SC430.. I don't want to leave the Lexus family but my curiosity got the better of me... I put down a deposit of the 07' E63 AMG...

My thoughts on the E63 after my test drive...

First when you start her up, it GROWLS like a beast at idle.. Sounds like a jet airplane waiting to take off.. The seating felt very comfortable like the seat just molds to your body.. The steering was tight and when you open the door it feels heavy and VERY solid..

The Drive..

Now I didn't know when its not warmed up the car starts automatically in 2nd gear.. Once it is warmed up it would start in first gear or you can change what gear you want by setting up the menu on the NAV screen.. When we were doing city driving it drove very smooth, very "user friendly" Once we got on the highway I floored it, the amount of torque was intoxicating.. Though there was a slight hesitation at initial launch BECAUSE I didn't know it was on 2nd gear, once I manually changed it to 1st gear and WOT, my GOD.. the sound of the 6.3L motor screaming is sex on wheels. I hit 90mph at a blink of an eye.. The salesman looked at me and said "fast enough?" Just the feeling of having 507HP and 465LB of torque at your descretion is awesome..

My delimma..

I never drove an E55.. From what many people of told me is that that motor is bulletproof and also produces more NOTICABLE torque, 516LB compared to 465LB torque..

So here is the question

1) Look around and try to save ALOT more money on a leftover 2006 E55? This is the last year of the E55's so I am *assuming* all the bugs is all taken care of in 2006 year?

2) Get the 07 E63 (which I got at invoice, please no PM's about getting you an MB, this is a one time thing with me) Though it has a brand new motor but it is the first year of it, but the exterior is the "refreshed" look of the new E-class..

From what ALOT of people are telling me, the E55's is PURE straight line acceleration killer ! I am thinking because of the 5.5 liter supercharged rather than the naturally aspirated 6.3L motor..

Also btw, I am not interested in the M5 or M6, the SMG is not fun FOR DAILY driving.. I want a car that is a 4 door sedan that packs mega power and that is RELIABLE hopefully E55's/E63's are it.

Lastly, I have been hearing reports that the E55 is actually faster than the E63's. Not sure how true that it but its kind of disturbing to hear that after you put down the deposit.

E63 motor

Last edited by D-MAN63; 10-08-06 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-08-06, 02:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm, could be just me, but i always prefer NA engine myself, so i might put my vote on the e63

but then if you talk about extra power, the e55 has been around for quite a while and you know a little chip will go a LONG way
Old 10-08-06, 02:44 PM
AlterZgo
Driver

Didn't they switch the brakes from electronic on the E55 to good old hydraulic on the E63? I seem to recall many criticisms of the poor brake modulation of the brake-by-wire on the earlier E class which led them to return to the tried and true hydraulic brakes on the E63.

Also, it would not surprise me if the E55 is a bit quicker due to it being supercharged. Supercharged motor would probably be easier to mod for even more speed if you really need it.

On the otherhand, nothing beats the smooth, predictable, instant power delivery of a good N/A motor.

I vote E63.
Old 10-08-06, 02:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
but then if you talk about extra power, the e55 has been around for quite a while and you know a little chip will go a LONG way
A chip will probably void the warranty.
Old 10-08-06, 02:56 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

I am not a fan of MB's 3-valve per cylinder engine, and the supercharger's whine just doesn't match the "luxury" part of the car. So, the E63 has my vote.

But if I were you, I will debadge the car.
Old 10-08-06, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
Hello all,

Once we got on the highway I floored it, the amount of torque was intoxicating.. Though there was a slight hesitation at initial launch BECAUSE I didn't know it was on 2nd gear, once I manually changed it to 1st gear and WOT, my GOD.. the sound of the 6.3L motor screaming is sex on wheels. I hit 90mph at a blink of an eye.. The salesman looked at me and said "fast enough?" Just the feeling of having 507HP and 465LB of torque at your descretion is awesome..

Was this a brand-new car you were in...under 1000 miles? If so, it should not go over 4000 RPM or have full-throttle acceleration.

Not only would I not test-drive an unbroken-in car myself in so extreme a manner, but I would not recommend buying from a dealership that ALLOWS cars with less than 1000 miles on them to be test-driven like this. Pick one out on the lot at random and you don't know what you could be getting....it could have screwed-up piston rings and be an oil burner.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-08-06 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-08-06, 04:28 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

E63 all the way. N/A musclecar, the way it should be
Old 10-08-06, 05:47 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the E55, you won't be dissappointed. Drive one and you will understand...

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=161755
Old 10-08-06, 06:14 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys for the replies..

The test drive car had 1300 miles on it..

Splitfire, yes I saw that thread too.. I really can't believe why would MB create an E63 and improve the whole car and alot of controversey that it is slower than the 55's. Someone posted also the best time the 63's did was low 13's while 55's are clocked waaayyy faster than that?
Old 10-08-06, 06:17 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Didn't they switch the brakes from electronic on the E55 to good old hydraulic on the E63? I seem to recall many criticisms of the poor brake modulation of the brake-by-wire on the earlier E class which led them to return to the tried and true hydraulic brakes on the E63.

Also, it would not surprise me if the E55 is a bit quicker due to it being supercharged. Supercharged motor would probably be easier to mod for even more speed if you really need it.

On the otherhand, nothing beats the smooth, predictable, instant power delivery of a good N/A motor.

I vote E63.
Yes they did change the brakes like you said.. I wondered if the 06's is the BEST year to get an "E -class amg" because it is supposively faster than the 63's plus it is the LAST year of the 55's..
Old 10-08-06, 06:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm a fan of the E55 looks. The E63 is slightly too aggressive for me. Then again, who's to say it shouldn't with all that power packed under the hood?

The E55 is a beast on the straight away, but the E63 will probably be more reliable without having that blower attached to it
Old 10-08-06, 06:44 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

If your looking to keep the car for a while, i might suggest the E63 because the motor is N/A and they tend to last longer. But if you want the raw power that you can get by some minor modding and you want the whine then get the e55. I would get the E63, it might be more of a highway monster.
Old 10-08-06, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ordinarily I would say take the E55, but the fact that the E63 has the more conventional all-hydraulic brakes makes me tilt heavily in its direction. The electro-hydraulic brakes have been a real pain, both for customers and for M-B service shops. M-B is actually retrofitting some cars that came from the factory with them. They were a major source of complaints, both from customers for the brake-pedal response / modulation and from the service departments being difficult to work on ( failure rate of the electronic parts was quite high, leaving the emergency all-hydrulic back-up to do the work ).
Old 10-08-06, 09:14 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

E55 baby!
evosport powerpackages + vrus special mods = 700hp!
Old 10-08-06, 09:39 PM
LexFather

Its funny I was on the phone with Chappy on MBWorld and we were talking about how the E55 owners vs E63 owners is something funny to watch.

Lord, both are sensational cars, can't go wrong with either!!
If you can GO for it, I'd get the new E63 but I would be perfectly happy in a E55.

I mean arguing over 2 tenths of a second going from your mailbox to wal-mart is funny!

Quick Reply: Need Inputs From You: 2006 E55 or 2007 E63