Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 1-series destined for US - Confirmed . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 07:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Mercedes still makes A-class and B-class, and they are quite successful in the Asia markets.
I agree.

But Asian markets are sooo different from American markets. In Asia, the A-Class and B-Class are "luxurious" for many. In the U.S., it will only cheapen the brand.

No one will take a sub-compact luxury car seriously unless if it's a roadster.

Americans are still very class oriented. The rich(er) still stick with brands that offer prestige and a little bit of exclusivity. BMW knows that the 1-Series will sell because the 3-Series is sort of a "dream luxury car" for most people out there that don't know any better. If these people find out that they can get an entry-level car for much less, then they'll go for it. But like I said, it will only take away sales from the 3-Series.

As for Lexus, the IS or ES is not the "dream luxury car" that most people think of with entry-level luxury sedans. Having a cheap alternative will only make Lexus look cheap. Lexus is already having a tough time claiming luxury specs with one of the cheaper flagship sedans on the road; BMW and MB are still about $20k+ ahead of the LS, and although the LS gets praise, it has yet to get the same prestige.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 10-11-06 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-11-06, 09:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Mercedes still makes A-class and B-class, and they are quite successful in the Asia markets.
I didn't know that about the A, they don't sell them here in Mexico anymore.

The B is a completely different story. The B200 has a 2L 134 hp or a 2L 190 hp turbo that is a beast. It is bigger than and priced here about 10,000 USD more than the A160/190. As a result, it does not sell as well as the A series, but I have noticed that Mercedes is actively attempting in their advertising down here to present a really high class emphasis (before it was kind of passive) on their vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails BMW 1-series destined for US  - Confirmed . . .-bseries1.gif  
Old 10-11-06, 10:03 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I didn't know that about the A, they don't sell them here in Mexico anymore.

The B is a completely different story. The B200 has a 2L 134 hp or a 2L 190 hp turbo that is a beast. It is bigger than and priced here about 10,000 USD more than the A160/190. As a result, it does not sell as well as the A series, but I have noticed that Mercedes is actively attempting in their advertising down here to present a really high class emphasis (before it was kind of passive) on their vehicles.
I've seen one of these in NYC with NY plates. It was left hand drive too.
Old 10-11-06, 10:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I've seen one of these in NYC with NY plates. It was left hand drive too.
Interesting, I noticed it was sold in Canada,

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.cfm?id=2921

This the wikipedia on it,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_B-Class