Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 1-series destined for US - Confirmed . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-06, 10:31 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default BMW 1-series destined for US - Confirmed . . .

Posted on Monday 9 October 2006

BMW’s new CEO, Norbert Reithofer, has confirmed that the small 1-series will be sold in the US but not in its current form. Unlike Europe, where premium hot-hatches are particularly popular, the US version will likely follow its larger 3-series sibling with the introduction of three distinctive shapes including a sedan, coupe and wagon.

Last year, a barely disguised BMW test mule was caught by spy photographers that resembled a 1-series but with a sedan-like trunk. Originally, the car was rumoured to carry 2-series badges, it now appears the car was a version of the 1-series that is destined for sale in North America. BMW’s sold in the US are already significantly cheaper than most other markets around the world, in many cases less than half price. The introduction of a new car priced even lower than the current 3-series will only further dilute the brand and it’s not like BMW needs more models to expand its range.

We have a report from Automotive News that the company may be planning even more models including a new super-luxury vehicle positioned above the current 7-series but below the Rolls Royce Phantom. The car could even be made available “by the end of the decade,” according to Reithofer.
source : motorauthority.com
Old 10-10-06, 03:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I am not sure if you will like these vehicles. I have driven them in Mexico a few times, and have a few neighbors with ones parked near my RX. The 120i is 2.0l 148 hp, but there is a 3.0l 130i that puts out 261 hp and just flies, but that goes for $40,000 USD down here. They lack the charm that the 3-series has in terms of an interior and the suspension seems to lack for a vehicle on these roads down here. However, like me neighbors say, "Hey, I am driving a BMW."
Old 10-10-06, 05:38 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

posers rejoice
Old 10-10-06, 06:26 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I read that they are planning to squeeze the 335i engine in there (for Europe). Should be pretty damn quick, but ugly as heck.
Old 10-10-06, 07:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GFerg
I read that they are planning to squeeze the 335i engine in there (for Europe). Should be pretty damn quick, but ugly as heck.
Yes, BMW dealer down here told me the same thing with the models to come here.
Old 10-10-06, 07:19 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If BMW decides to sell these, they will only take away sales from the 3-Series. You'll have a lot of people that want BMW for its name, not for the cars they sell.
Old 10-10-06, 08:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
If BMW decides to sell these, they will only take away sales from the 3-Series. You'll have a lot of people that want BMW for its name, not for the cars they sell.
That is an excellent point. Mercedes did well not to sell its small A-series vehicle in the U.S. (was here in Mexico) and I can tell you I would see the little A-series all over the place down here. A guy at the Benz dealer in my neighborhood told me that when he used to sell in Toluca (a big city to the west of Mexico City over the mountains), virtually every 3rd sale was an A-series. You could get them for about 17,000 USD or so here on the cheapest package.
Attached Thumbnails BMW 1-series destined for US  - Confirmed . . .-aseries1.gif  

Last edited by Lexmex; 10-10-06 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-10-06, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Bring it on. I'm not necessarily saying I would buy one, but though I haven't actually seen one yet in person, just from the pictures, though, it looks like it is the FIRST Bangle-designed BMW I could actually LIVE with...and NO I-Drive !
Old 10-10-06, 09:09 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like it will compete against BMW's own Mini. I don't like the hatchback styling though. Perhaps, a smaller version of the M coupe would be ideal. It would sell like hotcakes.
Old 10-10-06, 09:11 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Looks like it will compete against BMW's own Mini. I don't like the hatchback styling though. Perhaps, a smaller version of the M coupe would be ideal. It would sell like hotcakes.
Wouldn't it compete more against the Audi A3, Volvo C30, and Acura TSX?
Old 10-10-06, 09:23 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I, however, like this idea. Just please do some facelift about those ugly headlights.

Can you imagine 135i? whoooohooooo!
Old 10-10-06, 09:27 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
Wouldn't it compete more against the Audi A3, Volvo C30, and Acura TSX?
BMW is coming out with a 4 door version of their Mini Cooper. This car I would think would take away from the sales of such a vehicle. Yes, the Mini has some Nostalgia, but folks would rather a "BMW" at the same price point. I agree the A3 and Volvo C30 would be possible competiton to this 1 series, not the TSX. Those cars look better than this 1 series IMO. Bangle has to change the angles of this car for it to sell.
Old 10-10-06, 10:54 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

BMW is coming out with a 4 door version of their Mini Cooper. This car I would think would take away from the sales of such a vehicle. Yes, the Mini has some Nostalgia, but folks would rather a "BMW" at the same price point. I agree the A3 and Volvo C30 would be possible competiton to this 1 series, not the TSX. Those cars look better than this 1 series IMO. Bangle has to change the angles of this car for it to sell.

Why not the TSX? about the same hp, about the same size, about the same price, about the same weight, about the same ammount of technology, same fuel economy Appealing to the same crowd. how do they not compete?
Old 10-10-06, 11:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Looks like it will compete against BMW's own Mini.
No. They seem to be two completely different cars. The Mini is built more for retro styling and compactness...the 1-series is more of a mainstream BMW. Also, though I generally don't buy into the idea of automotive stereotypes, the Mini is quite popular with females.....probably a lot more so than the 1-series will be.
Old 10-10-06, 12:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is that thing RWD of FWD?

Quick Reply: BMW 1-series destined for US - Confirmed . . .