Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Japan Launches Redesigned Corolla Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-06, 07:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

and here is the new one in similar position....
Old 10-12-06, 08:16 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a Nissan from the outside.
Old 10-12-06, 08:44 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the rabbits milage isnt that good for its segment which mileage is basically the main buying point of these compact econoboxes, nor does it have the reputation the corolla has
Old 10-12-06, 12:20 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
how bland...
ROFL. This coming from a Jetta owner
Old 10-12-06, 04:49 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bean
ROFL. This coming from a Jetta owner
Personal attacks....
Old 10-12-06, 04:56 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the rabbits milage isnt that good for its segment which mileage is basically the main buying point of these compact econoboxes, nor does it have the reputation the corolla has
You do have a point about the mileage. Reputation wise, the Rabbit pretty much invented this segment back in the 70's so I'de say it has a pretty decent reputation.

Last edited by mavericck; 10-12-06 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-12-06, 05:17 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

I'll be the first I guess to say I actually like it. The thing looks good inside and out. I wouldn't buy it as as I'm not a fan of small sedans at all. But good look for Toyota with this.
Old 10-19-06, 09:06 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota hopes redesigned Corolla appeals to young and old buyers

Aging Gracefully
Toyota hopes redesigned Corolla appeals to young and old buyers

TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp. walks a fine line with the redesign of the 40-year-old Corolla, which went on sale last week in Japan.

The average age of Corolla buyers in Japan is over 60. Toyota wants to keep those loyal buyers and appeal to a new generation. It also needs to position the car between the entry-level Vitz, known as the Yaris in the United States and Europe, and the mid-sized Camry.

Toyota will:

Keep the history-laden Corolla name but add another name in Japan to attract younger shoppers. The sedan is now the Corolla Axio. The station wagon is now the Corolla Fielder. "Corolla" is in a smaller type size.

Add a bit more hip and head room inside without letting the car grow longer, wider or taller.

Offer features that appeal to both young families and owners with aging joints.

To save neck-twisting, the Corolla is the second vehicle, after the Lexus LS 460, to get Toyota's latest intelligent parking-assist system. The option costs ¥105,000, or $879 at current exchange rates. A backup camera monitor is standard.

The Corolla also has a system that flips down the rear seats and seat backs for a flat cargo floor, with a single pull of a lever.

The United States won't get the redesigned Corolla until spring 2008. That will stretch the goal of Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe to release the Corolla in overseas markets within "a year and a few months" of the Japan debut. Insiders say the plain-vanilla styling offered in Japan can't compete against the Honda Civic in America.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TOKEN=25439153
Old 10-19-06, 03:13 PM
LexFather

I don't understand why anyone expects reliable family cars to
1. Be sporty like a 911
2. Have fantastic looks like an Aston Martin

I don't understand that thinking. These are FAMILY CARS that need to be jacks of all trades and be affordable and continue to offer better technology.

Corollas, Camrys, Impalas, Accords, Altimas, Civics, 95% of them are selling on name for being good reliable transport. Some are slightly sporty, some "think' they are sporty, some have sporty marketing.

These cars are also all rental cars? Coincidence? No. Reliable, regular transport.

That is what I want these cars to EXCEL in first. Anything in addtion is a bonus.

HOORAY FOR BLAND!!!

Old 10-19-06, 03:13 PM
LexFather

P.S the Corolla is the best selling car EVER. 30 mill sold. I don't think 30 mill sales can be wrong......

Old 10-19-06, 05:02 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

exactly

a lot of buyers out there want conservative looking cars

plus, its less likely to be stolen unlike the little more spiced up honda civic which targets more of the tuner crowds that will buy parts from anywhere and cars from anyone

by going conservative styling and performance, theft rate can be reduced and sales can still remain high because of this advantage
Old 10-19-06, 09:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Bland can be ok, and certainly a car like a Corolla shouldn't be expected to be sporty. BUT, bland doesn't have to be ugly.

The Scion tC is a great example of something that's fairly bland but looks GREAT from the outside.
Old 10-20-06, 03:00 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Bland can be ok, and certainly a car like a Corolla shouldn't be expected to be sporty. BUT, bland doesn't have to be ugly.

The Scion tC is a great example of something that's fairly bland but looks GREAT from the outside.
and i think the xB is both bland and ugly
lol

this new corolla isnt bad looking
but toyota does have to give what some consumers want
there has been a lot of demand for sportier looking cars from toyota here in north america so i guess thats why they are bringing the Auris over instead of the corolla
Old 10-20-06, 09:37 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But compare this new one and the current one (which has been around since 2000). It seems a step backwards. I would imagine it's more suited if we went from the 7th gen to this new one. (yes, bypassing both 8th and 9th).
Old 10-21-06, 05:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
and i think the xB is both bland and ugly
lol

this new corolla isnt bad looking
but toyota does have to give what some consumers want
there has been a lot of demand for sportier looking cars from toyota here in north america so i guess thats why they are bringing the Auris over instead of the corolla
they are not bringing auris instead of Corolla... They are brining North America Corolla which will have its own design.

Quick Reply: Toyota Japan Launches Redesigned Corolla Sedan