Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Nissan 350Z (with new VQHR engine)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 11:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

old 350Z was re-rated at 275 hp SAE, now its 300+ hp SAE
Old 10-10-06, 12:22 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant wait to see Best Motoring review the new Z.
Old 10-10-06, 12:47 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Love the exhaust note on these cars along with the G35 Coupe Nissan is movin on up.
Old 10-10-06, 02:28 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
Not a bad car IMO, but don't the current 350z come with 300hp? If so only a 8hp jump is that not that good.
nissan doesnt go by SAE numbers. they have been using their own numbers for the past couple of years. i guess the only thing they had left to sell with was their high HP numbers...
Old 10-10-06, 05:24 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SO is it the new 3.7 motor???
Old 10-10-06, 07:22 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kietlander
nissan doesnt go by SAE numbers. they have been using their own numbers for the past couple of years. i guess the only thing they had left to sell with was their high HP numbers...
All current nissans and infiniti are rated by the new SAE horsepower rating system
Old 10-10-06, 11:52 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
SO is it the new 3.7 motor???
No, its the 3.5 VQHR, the next generation VQ like the G35 Sedan just got.
Old 10-11-06, 02:03 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

What 0-60 time do you think the Z will get with the new engine the G35 sedan does it in 5.2. I kinda like the bulge gives it a more muscular look.
Old 10-11-06, 04:37 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
What 0-60 time do you think the Z will get with the new engine the G35 sedan does it in 5.2. I kinda like the bulge gives it a more muscular look.
Probably around the same, I doubt it would be much better, maybe 5.1 or 5, maybe...
Old 10-11-06, 05:05 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the shape of the current Z is darn near perfect and they shouldn't mess around with it too much. That bulge looks like it's taking some of the sleekness away. They need to be careful. Can't wait to see full view pics.
HP gains no biggie to me. I'm happy with anything over 250.
Old 10-12-06, 12:22 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
Not a bad car IMO, but don't the current 350z come with 300hp? If so only a 8hp jump is that not that good.

Its because that 300hp Z doesnt make 300hp Hopefully Nissan isn't inflating the numbers this time. Hope the interior is revised with better materials; the layout wasnt that bad. But paying $30,000 for a heavy "sports car" that can barely trap 100mph (if that, most i see are around 98 to 99) isn't quite a good deal to me and says to me this car isn't "perfect" as some fanboys would have you believe.
Old 10-12-06, 08:49 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

the old #s were not SAE, just like Toyota/Lexus old #s and Honda/Acura.
specifically, the old engines were 275hp sae corrected and 293hp sae corrected for nonrevup and revup respectively. the new engine is 306hp sae corrected and nissan claims that the engine produces more power at speed due to a ram air effect involving the dual intake manifolds and TBs. in addition to these changes, the engine runs smoother due to a redone internal design, which among other things, widens the powerband and allows for a 7500rpm redline (although actual fuel cut will likely be around 8k rpms). nissan didn't stop there however and used the opportunity to run more agressive gearing.

overall the total package is more than it may appear going off of one number. the current Z in the right hands on in the right conditions can do high 13s at 101mph+. although it isnt the norm, its not a rare time/speed by any means. the new hr motor will only improve the performance even more.

regarding the interior, the current 06 interior isnt bad, they improved the materials a lot. now i think the new interior is good enough, especially considering that its not a luxury car. and this is coming from someone who absolutely hated the older interior.

ideally the Z would weigh less, but a lot of performance cars weigh the same if not more... and at the end of the day, the Z is the best value in terms of performance, style, and comfort under $30k.
Old 10-13-06, 07:59 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
specifically, the old engines were 275hp sae corrected and 293hp sae corrected for nonrevup and revup respectively. the new engine is 306hp sae corrected and nissan claims that the engine produces more power at speed due to a ram air effect involving the dual intake manifolds and TBs. in addition to these changes, the engine runs smoother due to a redone internal design, which among other things, widens the powerband and allows for a 7500rpm redline (although actual fuel cut will likely be around 8k rpms). nissan didn't stop there however and used the opportunity to run more agressive gearing.

overall the total package is more than it may appear going off of one number. the current Z in the right hands on in the right conditions can do high 13s at 101mph+. although it isnt the norm, its not a rare time/speed by any means. the new hr motor will only improve the performance even more.

regarding the interior, the current 06 interior isnt bad, they improved the materials a lot. now i think the new interior is good enough, especially considering that its not a luxury car. and this is coming from someone who absolutely hated the older interior.

ideally the Z would weigh less, but a lot of performance cars weigh the same if not more... and at the end of the day, the Z is the best value in terms of performance, style, and comfort under $30k.
VERY well said!
Old 10-13-06, 05:49 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tekknikal

Highest I've EVER seen any stock Z33 trap was 101... that was with my own two eyes... and highest mag time I ever saw was 101mph... coincidence? I doubt it.

The current 350Z is scarcely faster than a V6 Camry or Avalon in a straight line. 220-230whp on a dynojet != 293hp SAE. more like 260-270. Yes I'm referring to the "special edition" one that made "300hp".

The interior of my S13 is of better materials than the current 350z (sans the seats of course; I'm running S14 seats now though)

I disagree about the best value. The EVO and STI run circles around it, have more space, get better mileage, have better aftermarket, and are right in the same price range. I like the way the EVO looks compared to the Z... of course we won't discuss the STI Subaru's chief designer needs to be "talked with" Sopranos style.

We'll see how the new one is... but I don't see a widening powerband. Definitely more power though with increased breathing at higher rpms though. I hate bashing it; but I guess its just a balance. Car has great style but its slow and is too heavy IMO. Shave off 400lbs and improve the interior to Camry-levels and I'd be singing its praises all day long

Last edited by Bean; 10-13-06 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-14-06, 10:45 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Didn't the 350Z just beat the Evo IX at VIR?

Quick Reply: 2007 Nissan 350Z (with new VQHR engine)