Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Nissan 350Z (with new VQHR engine)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-06, 09:10 AM
MrSilvia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguy16
Didn't the 350Z just beat the Evo IX at VIR?
Yup, the article was called "The Lightning Lap" in the November issue of C&D. Here are the facts:

2006 Nissan 350Z track:
$35,865 as tested
3:12.5 lap time
peak speed: 124.3 mph
.90 g cornering grip
weight: 3,334 lbs.

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
$36,924 as tested
3:13.5 lap time
peak speed: 124.0 mph
.94 g cornering grip
weight: 3,281 lbs.

The Z and Evo were almost as fast as the 500 HP Ford Shelby GT500 which got a lap time of 3:11.0, really goes to show off all that slick American engineering . What I see is a faster and cheaper Z, they have the hp figures for the Z at 300, but I think it was re-rated to 293. Now with this 2007 the hp is up at 306-308, so it's only going to get faster.

Anybody have interior pics of the 2007 Z?
Old 10-15-06, 08:39 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bean
Highest I've EVER seen any stock Z33 trap was 101... that was with my own two eyes... and highest mag time I ever saw was 101mph... coincidence? I doubt it.
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219044
it depends on the track, but they can do better than 101.0 at times.

The current 350Z is scarcely faster than a V6 Camry or Avalon in a straight line. 220-230whp on a dynojet != 293hp SAE. more like 260-270. Yes I'm referring to the "special edition" one that made "300hp".
i cant argue about what 'scarcely' means. regardless, revups dont put down 220-230whp, they tend to do 10hp or so more.

The interior of my S13 is of better materials than the current 350z (sans the seats of course; I'm running S14 seats now though)
the 06 Z interior isnt bad at all, and the materials are ok. again i hated the earlier one but like this one a lot more, its more fitting.

I disagree about the best value. The EVO and STI run circles around it, have more space, get better mileage, have better aftermarket, and are right in the same price range. I like the way the EVO looks compared to the Z... of course we won't discuss the STI Subaru's chief designer needs to be "talked with" Sopranos style.
you can get a base Z for $25k brand new. the Evo and STi both cost a lot more and are less comfortable...and apparently the Evo doesnt run circles around the Z...

We'll see how the new one is... but I don't see a widening powerband. Definitely more power though with increased breathing at higher rpms though. I hate bashing it; but I guess its just a balance. Car has great style but its slow and is too heavy IMO. Shave off 400lbs and improve the interior to Camry-levels and I'd be singing its praises all day long
by definition the new powerband is wider.

i stand by my claim: there is nothing that outperforms it and feels better overall for less money, period. with the 07 Z, ill let you add in all the cars under $35k. i think the new interior is nice enough for the car. its better than the STi and Evo interiors, for sure.
Old 10-15-06, 08:42 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrSilvia
Anybody have interior pics of the 2007 Z?

the interior is supposed to be the same as the 06.
Old 10-16-06, 06:49 AM
Zakira
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bean
The interior of my S13 is of better materials than the current 350z (sans the seats of course; I'm running S14 seats now though)
I own both a 91 S13 and an 03 Z. The S13's interior materials are not necessarily better than the Z. Other items have already been addressed by Tekknikal.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-16-06 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Newb needs to be nice
Old 10-16-06, 07:27 AM
MrSilvia
Driver School Candidate

What I also think is funny is that everytime there's a thread about the Z compared to other sports cars is how much it weighs. It obviously does suffer some from the FM platform sharing with the G and FX. But at the end of the day it's only 53 lbs more than the evo which has a much smaller engine and is based on an economobile (the lancer), and those kind of cars always tend to be lighter. I don't understand why some people love to hate this car
Old 10-16-06, 08:18 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

^its a bandwgon of ignorance. ive yet to hear of a car that offers better overall performance (not to mention style and comfort as well) for under $25k. for that reason alone, the 350z should be respected, whether anyone likes it or not.
Old 10-16-06, 01:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Zakira
I own both a 91 S13 and an 03 Z. The S13's interior materials are not necessarily better than the Z. Other items have already been addressed by Tekknikal.
Welcome to Clublexus. I edited your post and suggest you watch your tone with all of 1 post here.

Old 10-16-06, 05:23 PM
Zakira
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Welcome to Clublexus. I edited your post and suggest you watch your tone with all of 1 post here.
What did you edit out? Not that I have perfect memory but I don't see anything edited out. Please PM me and refresh my memory if you will, Thank you.
Old 10-19-06, 06:40 AM
Zakira
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Well I'm still waiting 1SICKLEX.

What was it that I said that was so bad or offensive that you had to edit it out???

The fact is nothing. I was not rude or disrespectful to anyone. You're the one on a powertrip to publicly harass and humiliate newbies is what I think it is!

I intend to report YOU to the site administrator or hopefully the owner for abuse of power.
Old 10-19-06, 08:28 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zakira
Well I'm still waiting 1SICKLEX.

What was it that I said that was so bad or offensive that you had to edit it out???

The fact is nothing. I was not rude or disrespectful to anyone. You're the one on a powertrip to publicly harass and humiliate newbies is what I think it is!

I intend to report YOU to the site administrator or hopefully the owner for abuse of power.
oh good grief, get a hold of yourself. The fact that you'd make a post like this tells me that 1sick was probably justified in removing whatever it was that you posted originally. Everybody has their own standards, so while it may be a "fact" that you "think" you didn't post anything to warrant removal, that's still just an opinion in the grand scheme of things. I've had people make racially derogatory posts on other sites that I run and honestly don't see the problem with it and cry baby when their post is removed, and how the mods are power tripping, abusing power, blah blah blah blah.

edit: 3rd post and you're already calling out the mods. LAWL.
Old 10-19-06, 08:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
oh good grief, get a hold of yourself. The fact that you'd make a post like this tells me that 1sick was probably justified in removing whatever it was that you posted originally. Everybody has their own standards, so while it may be a "fact" that you "think" you didn't post anything to warrant removal, that's still just an opinion in the grand scheme of things. I've had people make racially derogatory posts on other sites that I run and honestly don't see the problem with it and cry baby when their post is removed, and how the mods are power tripping, abusing power, blah blah blah blah.

edit: 3rd post and you're already calling out the mods. LAWL.
guys, let's put a stop on this topic, everything should be handled on pm.

please get back on topic, thanks
Old 10-19-06, 08:57 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks SteVTEC.

Zakira, please read the forum rules that you agreed upon when signing up. That includes smarting off to moderators.

With that said, their seems to be nothing else constructive to add to my aging thead.

closed.

Last edited by GFerg; 10-19-06 at 09:41 AM.