Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RWD vs. FWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 05:21 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned my personal lesson when I crashed my FWD car 6 years ago under understeer. ( try doing 60mph and make a left turn, yes I know, I was racing ) when I lost my control, I couldn't gain anything back except just watching my front end went in the a wall...

where 1 month later, I did the samething ( I know, I was young and not learning it from my mistake. ) in my Porsche 944 turbo where when I lost control in the turn, I just had to adjust my throttle position to gain my control back... long story, but since then my beater Camry is the only FWD I have over in the last 6 years, considering I have had changed like 30 cars during this time...
Old 10-10-06, 05:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I learned my personal lesson when I crashed my FWD car 6 years ago under understeer. ( try doing 60mph and make a left turn, yes I know, I was racing ) when I lost my control, I couldn't gain anything back except just watching my front end went in the a wall...

where 1 month later, I did the samething ( I know, I was young and not learning it from my mistake. ) in my Porsche 944 turbo where when I lost control in the turn, I just had to adjust my throttle position to gain my control back... long story, but since then my beater Camry is the only FWD I have over in the last 6 years, considering I have had changed like 30 cars during this time...
question is also if you porsche had a lot more traction than your FWD car :-).

Seriously loosing traction in FWD and RWD, FWD will still be easier to control, in their limits of course. At limit, RWD cars usually tend to violently loose traction...
Old 10-10-06, 05:57 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traction control plays a big part in making the RWD IS feel more like the FWD ES, what you should do is take the IS out to a parking lot when it raining and take the Traction Control off
Old 10-10-06, 07:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cspec
But RWD on the other hand, at it's limits, and if you lose control, there is a _much_ larger chance of recovery.
In that situation, most people would try to fight the steering and turn the other way to try to regain traction, but doing that will lead the car to spin out.

Old 10-10-06, 08:11 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

AWD owns all
Old 10-10-06, 09:56 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Old 10-11-06, 03:07 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irishfan
You may need to provide an example of what you mean by screwing up. 99.9% of the time FWD is easier for the general public to control.
I wasn't exactly referring to the general public. I guess I was thinking more on track-oriented driving. Sorry for the confusion.

Originally Posted by GSteg
In that situation, most people would try to fight the steering and turn the other way to try to regain traction, but doing that will lead the car to spin out.

That's true, again, I wasn't really thinking about how it affects daily driving as opposed to performance driving.

Originally Posted by JessePS
AWD owns all
AWD is boring.
Old 10-11-06, 04:42 AM
jjwalker
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JessePS
AWD owns all
If you like to play in the dirt.

Seriously, if AWD was the best drivetrain platform then why are Formula One cars RWD?

Caligirl,

I can sympathies regarding LA traffic, lived there for 33 years. However there are many, many canyons in which you can enjoy some spirited driving. I do recommend getting some lessons. I do believe everyone that drives should learn how to control their car in a slide.
Old 10-11-06, 10:30 AM
siamiam
Driver

Originally Posted by jjwalker
If you like to play in the dirt.

Seriously, if AWD was the best drivetrain platform then why are Formula One cars RWD?

because they dont play in the snow, mud and dirt :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7JQv...elated&search=
Tiff Needell Rear wheel Drive Techniques

Last edited by siamiam; 10-11-06 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-11-06, 11:24 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=jjwalker;2175045]If you like to play in the dirt.

QUOTE]

The rule book.
Old 10-11-06, 01:42 PM
LexFather

FWD= you want to be driven (you take it)
RWD= you want to drive (you give it)
AWD= you go both ways (lol)

Old 10-11-06, 02:28 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

comparing my experience with an ES and IS. i dont know if the fact that the ES was a boat but when making a sharp turn, the ES felt nose heavy with a lot of body roll. Whereas making a turn on the IS, I dont feel any body roll nor feel like im gonna go through the windshield. this is my assessment of what FWD v RWD feels like when handling it.
Old 10-11-06, 03:04 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Should you ever find yourself in a skid (God forbid), don't try turning the steering completely the oppostie direction. Turn it to the direction you want to go, no more, no less. And keep making those adjustments to keep the car in control.

Hehe....
Attached Thumbnails RWD vs. FWD-untitled.jpg  
Old 10-11-06, 11:35 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Luxury and performance cars a great majority of the time are RWD. It's good for acceleration because when you press the gas, the weight transfers back to the rear wheels, which need the traction. It also gives the driver a better feel for the drive. It allows you to almost steer with the gas pedal through a turn, I find.

FWD's faults benefit the consumer in one way. The physics of the drivetrain allow the use of all seasons tires year round.

As for skidding, FWD is not very likely to lose it in a turn, because the tires that steer also have the ability to pull in that direction.

Losing it with RWD is either a) the front wheels losing their traction going into a turn and the rears continuing to go in the direction they were in. This is corrected by steering into the direction the car is sliding in.
Or b) the rear wheels are spinning to fast through a turn and the back starts to come out. This is usually fixed by letting off the gas enough to have the wheels get back traction, but not pulling off the gas altogether.

Now, an issue with RWD cars and skidding is the panic of the situation can easily result in the car fishtailing all over the road. This is because of over-corrections. The car isn't going where you want, so you continue to steer away. Eventually the tires catch, and suddenly you're veering well past the point you wanted to go towards. Then you basically repeat in the opposite direction. The only way to avoid this is practice with your car. It will give you a feel for the cars limits and show you how to steer out of a skid and not fishtail afterwards (ie. patience).

Whether you have FWD or RWD, it's important to know how to drive your car. And if you're willing to learn, it shouldn't make that big a difference to you either way.
Old 10-12-06, 03:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jjwalker
Simple.........weight and drag. The well-known benefits of AWD in street cars generally work against power and acceleration in racing cars.

Quick Reply: RWD vs. FWD