Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do cars run faster when it's cold out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 10:08 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do cars run faster when it's cold out?

I have heard this.....but not sure if it's just a myth or not?
Old 10-11-06, 12:40 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard this as well. My cars feel less sluggish on cold days compared to hot days like during summer.

~Josh
Old 10-11-06, 01:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

technically that's true coz' air is cooler so it's denser

really? i don't feel that much of a diffference between hot summer and cold winter here
Old 10-11-06, 01:20 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

I feel it everyday since the weather jumps from 78F(6 am) to 118F(noon) .
Old 10-11-06, 01:48 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Shouldn't be a major difference. Maybe a quicker responce in cold weather, but the acceleration at WOT should be around the same. One thing to keep in mind, when its hot out most people are running AC, which robs away a few horses.
Old 10-11-06, 02:42 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

ummmm.... anyone ever heard of a cold air intake?
Old 10-11-06, 04:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
technically that's true coz' air is cooler so it's denser

really? i don't feel that much of a diffference between hot summer and cold winter here
That's because SoCal, at low elevations, doesn't HAVE a winter.

Most engines will in fact create more HP and torque in the winter due to the colder, denser air containing more oxygen for combustion and the computer feeding in more gasoline to maintain the correct air-fuel ratio. However, you will notice this more after the engine warms up a little.....cold oil ( conventional oil more than synthetic ) will put a marked drag on the engine, transmission, and differentials. ( and you don't want to run a cold engine hard anyway ).

This is one of the ways a turbo or supercharger works....at warm air temperatures, it artificially makes the engine perform like one at colder air temperatures by force-feeding the engine with more fuel and air that it would normally burn at that air temperature and pressure.

Same with altitude.......rising altitude has the same effect as warmer air temperatures despite the colder air, because the air gets thinner as you go up.....3% for each thousand feet on the average. So a good turbo keeps the engine operating as it would at sea level up to a certain altitude...known as the critical altitude. This is a factor in the design of airplanes.
Old 10-11-06, 04:46 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

There is a noticeable difference with my car in the cooler temperatures. The turbos love cooler air.
Old 10-11-06, 05:12 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Sound like a job for the Myth Busters?
Old 10-11-06, 06:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Anyone ever hear of an intercooler? There is a reason it exists.

Not a job for mythbusters. Every weekend I put my little RX down on the track and run it, we have a little weather station (see below) that measures air temp, air pressure and humidity. The lower the air temp and humidity and the higher the pressure, the faster my little RX will go, however the air temp has the biggest effect.

When I run my RX, I always check and note the readings on this little device we sit on the windowsill of the control tower.

Now, I also feel the effects of high altitude, 7,411 feet is the track elevation, and we generally have 23% less oxygen up here than at sea level.
Attached Thumbnails Do cars run faster when it's cold out?-img_0371.jpg  
Old 10-11-06, 06:22 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power is a function of airflow. Cold air is more dense and there are more air molecules to combine with fuel to generate more power.
Old 10-11-06, 08:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because SoCal, at low elevations, doesn't HAVE a winter.

Most engines will in fact create more HP and torque in the winter due to the colder, denser air containing more oxygen for combustion and the computer feeding in more gasoline to maintain the correct air-fuel ratio. However, you will notice this more after the engine warms up a little.....cold oil ( conventional oil more than synthetic ) will put a marked drag on the engine, transmission, and differentials. ( and you don't want to run a cold engine hard anyway ).

This is one of the ways a turbo or supercharger works....at warm air temperatures, it artificially makes the engine perform like one at colder air temperatures by force-feeding the engine with more fuel and air that it would normally burn at that air temperature and pressure.

Same with altitude.......rising altitude has the same effect as warmer air temperatures despite the colder air, because the air gets thinner as you go up.....3% for each thousand feet on the average. So a good turbo keeps the engine operating as it would at sea level up to a certain altitude...known as the critical altitude. This is a factor in the design of airplanes.
well, if you say 30s isn't cool enough for winter
Old 10-11-06, 11:29 AM
rai
Lead Lap

It is not open to debate, lower temp means more power as has already been said.

But lower temp means tires do not grip as well, so you may find if it's too cold you won't necessarly go any quicker.

Also it is very dependent on the type of car and engine and what type of power you are making to begin with.

I can also feel the difference in tire grip in very hot weather. When it's 100 degrees out the car feels like it's stuck to the road.

I can tell here in MD, some winter days it's below zero and summer days it's over 100 degrees that's a huge temp difference. If you are in a temperate climate you may not even notice the difference.

But def, yes when it's super cold the car will have ++ HP no question about it.
Old 10-11-06, 11:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its faster because im not using the A/C
Old 10-11-06, 11:34 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I can't believe we are even discussing this. Worse, I can't believe there are people who think it doesn't make a difference!

Quick Reply: Do cars run faster when it's cold out?